Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Gambit and Bishop.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Does anyone know where this comes from? It says X-Men 1 and it looked to be the 90s era but I know its not X-Men 1 (Jim Lee).

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...it-rogue-beast

Sorry for the triple posts.

I miss the Gambit and Bishop uneasy broship.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Can I second all this?
    I know I can! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Does anyone know where this comes from? It says X-Men 1 and it looked to be the 90s era but I know its not X-Men 1 (Jim Lee).

That’s from a weird X-men annual from the 90s I think X-men Annual #1. Has Jim Lee Cover with Gambit swinging in on a rope throwing cards.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

And here it is.

13EC860E-68D0-4291-98AB-1DEC0F28A5F0.jpg

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    I forgot to include you in my post. Awesome answers! I'm asking these questions cuz I'm a part of a massive Marvel Fan collab project, designed by fans FOR fans, to brainstorm and create stories WE want for our favorite Marvel heroes! These stories will be brought to life via animation/fanime. It DOES start them as kids (long story why) but, then there's a time skip early enough and, moving forward, they'll be young adults ^_^ I've created a preliminary thread for everyone to join in on, and discuss this project, what they'd like to see and such!

I've been replying to LOADS of comments from various platforms LOL I'll reply properly tomorrow

This is the primary thread for our brainstorming, and updates, and soon leaks: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...non-think-tank
    Cool! Yeah, I've been lurking on that page a little bit. Sounds like some cool things are happening!

Can I second all this?
    Ha thanks! You were way more detailed in your answers than me, so I second yours!

I miss the Gambit and Bishop uneasy broship.
    Saaaaame. I actually need to get going on a Fan Fic with these 2 bc they play off each other so well.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Really good questions.

1. Yeah, like Jellyfish, I have my own ideas I don't want to give away. With that being said, there is a lot of un-tapped potential. Use his skills in ways/settings we haven't seen before.

2. I'm a sucker for the thief with a heart of gold trope. I love that he's so smooth and while he's not a genius, he's smarter/more clever than he lets on sometimes. I think he has a very unique look and powerset. I also like that he has had a villainous past and isn't your typically good guy.

3. For the most part, yes. I've loved a lot of his stories in the comics. I also liked his appearances in the cartoons, although I have my own problems with each iteration. I really liked how TAS and WatXM showed him as being a thief and a womanizer. Wolverine Origins was bad, but I still appreciate a couple things about his portrayal there.

4. I don't like how he's been shown to refer to himself in the third person. I'm kind of over the 90s look that they keep reverting him back to in the comics. I think they've done some cool updates with his look, but they never really seem to stick. I think his secretive past and tendency for brooding was interesting in the 90s, but I'm kind of tired of that aspect, personally (especially with how moody he's been in Excalibur). I want him to be a little more light-hearted.

5. I don't love how he can be written as a horn-dog sometimes, but that's usually from writers that don't really "get" him. It can come off as creepy if not done well. For TAS, I think he was a little watered down and a little creepy with Rogue at times. For WatXM, I really liked his design, but didn't love his voice acting. Hated his look in X-Men Evolution.

6. I don't think I would. One of the things I like about Gambit is his ability to succeed at things without needing a power for it. For example, some say he has a "Hypnotic Charm" as his power, but I like the idea of him just being that good with women.

7. He gets his own series on HBO. I think they would be the perfect place to have a good budget and allow for some more gritty parts of his story that I don't see Disney signing off on.
    First off, awesome answers! Especially for why I'm asking these... I'm a part of a massive Marvel Fan collab project, designed by fans FOR fans, to brainstorm and create stories WE want for our favorite Marvel heroes! These stories will be brought to life via animation/fanime. It DOES start them as kids (long story why) but, then there's a time skip early enough and, moving forward, they'll be young adults ^_^ Also, this series is DIRECTED towards ADULTS, so regardless of them as kids, there's blood, use of guns and weaponry, suggestive themes and such. I've created a preliminary thread for everyone to join in on, and discuss this project, what they'd like to see and such!

As for your answers...

1. Well... we can say the same thing. Our chief writer is a MAJOR Gambit fan, and stated "just as Claremont saw potential in Jean Grey, its my time to realize Gambit's potential..." What she's putting together will blow everyone away, and it takes his powers beyond the next level.

2. OH YES, we have plenty of that in Gambit's character development. Gambit constantly surprises the team with his wits and knowledge, which he never shares fully, or even brings up again. Its part of the mystery built with his new character development, and builds how the team perceives of him. Our chief writer stated that she wants to use Gambit to serve as the central "antihero", as for her, the antihero is more relatable than the standard, nigh morally perfect "hero".

3. Portrayal is important to us. Our version doesn't just glean on his "womanizing", but being manipulative period. What's wonderful, is there's a deep backstory to everything about our iteration of Gambit, his good and bad traits, and how that plays into his evolution, is spectacular. Gambit also serves as the opposite of Jean Grey, someone appearing morally perfect, with hidden flaws of her own, while Gambit's the diamond in the rough... all the way.

4. From what I know, that's something our writers are way toning down. As in, he'd only speak in third person if making a witty comment, but talks normally otherwise. This iteration of Gambit is one who wishes he can be lighthearted, so... we get plenty of moments of him being relaxed and having a good time... and even engaging others to loosen up as well. This iteration has plenty of mystery however, but isn't highlighted until much, much later.

5. Without doubt, that's a tricky yet integral part of his character. Complexities like these are why a number of writers, don't like writing Gambit. They have to actually think things through, cuz he's not that straight of a character. This is something we're REALLY keeping in mind. I won't lie, this fanime series IS geared towards adults so... some of that etchiness will come out, I know it will lol

6. Understood. We have actually several moments when he doesn't rely on his powers, but his wit. However, there has been a request to enhance him, and boy... he's getting QUITE a power up later on lol

7. Well... we actually plan on doing a solo series for Gambit, and damn will it be a mindfuck, with a good dose of dark comedic elements, and insane action/adventure/supernatural stuff lol

Please, if you'd like to participate and offer some great ideas and details of how you'd want Gambit, check out our primary thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...non-think-tank
    All contributors are credited in more ways than one as well

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    1. I too like the others always imagined I'd be able to write Gambit for Marvel one day. But due to my ADHD and my issues with structure and focus I figured my best way to contribute would be as an idea man for someone competent enough to put complex things into an orderly manner and can keep track of lots of loose threads at once. From what I've heard so far I think you guys are doing a good job with the story and characters.

2. I did a poll on about page 25 of this thread and people had a lot of different answers https://linkto.run/p/EUQ2IIXX a lot of the main things were relationship friendship intelligence and personality and stuff.

I personally like the fact he's complex but is disposable enough to go to either side and can still be useful and interesting. I like his charming yet adversarial personality as well.

3. I don't think I've seen him ever displayed exactly how I wanted. Like the Xmen animated series version had that swagger and that kind of good support hero vibe. xmen evolution made him kinda a bad guy, but it did allow for the best version of a star crossed lover with rogue. It also allowed Gambit to feel like a good second in command. He appeared to be Magnetos right hand man in the series and had some big moments. Like when he brought down the spider no one else could. It was a small moment but an important one. Taylor Kirsh didn't really have Gambit's scene stealing bravado. A few of the comics have done either good story or good Gambit. I keep saying there's no definitiveGambit series or issue. He's had a lot of good ones though.

4/5. I hate how boring the thieves guild stuff is sometimes and how he seems to mess up every score he goes after. We rarely see him get away clean. I really hate his connection to the Morlock massacre. The event itself is important but I just never cared for Remys part in it or the amount of impact it had on Gambits story. He organized some guys without knowing what would happen then tried to stop it. It bugs me that they wanted to put him in that event but then thuey tried to go the safe route. I just don't feel it's a story for gambit. Maybe someone else or maybe a darker Gambit.

I want him to have some leadership capabilities but only as needed. Whenever he's put as a leader he always feels like his story is related to how much he hates being in charge, so naturally those stories get boring.

6. I think just making Gambit have more impact on major stories. Even if not the main player I want to see him be one of those characters who find a way to win against overwhelming odds. He always seems to win fights he's supposed to win and lose fights he's supposed to.

7. I'd love to make him a villain. Not an anti hero or anything, a villain. And I want to do it for a couple reasons. First because he's one of the few characters who can do both. Two a villain story often allows for a character to show power whereas a hero's journey is about vulnerability. And third, there's so much hate for Gambit by a lot of people and writers and I think that hatred has kinda bled over into hate for the general X-men . I think one thing that pisses off anti-Gambit fans is no one ever thinks Gambit is going to get his comeuppance. So they hate the character but never see him really get yelled at or judged. if he is he's often redeemed by the end. I'd love to give anti gambit fans that catharsis of getting to root against Gambit and get all that animosity out before rebuilding him with better stories later

That's been a story I've thought about making for a long time just because I know that feeling of hating a character and being forced to see my favorite characters have to fight with that character so every victory is slightly hollow.
    Hey there! well you already know what's up, but let's get to these answers...

1. I'm no storyteller, and many of the fans who've contributed, aren't either. However, we are very lucky to have encountered Marvel fans with artistic professions, and have been extremely dedicated to this collaboration of fans! Also, the chief esp loves assisting others in telling their own stories, so... we're in good hands.

2. I checked it out, and like WOW lol it contains a lot of good statistics on what fans love about the character. He is versatile as he can hold his own story, or act as support, yet maintain all his mystique and intrigue. I am glad we're getting some actual spotlight for the character, and greater depth and exploration of his powers.

3. I think that speaks for all of us. I liked Gambit in 90s XTAS but... I wish they did more with his character. I just straight, wasn't into X-men Evolution, and how they handled Gambit, from his look, the voice, the antagonistic plot... I just wasn't feeling it. I really like this new direction, I think it grants him a plethora of what each iteration is missing, but in trace amounts, to keep us anxious for what's to be revealed later.

4/5. Oh yeah, the Guild is given a really nice face lift. The way they're being woven into the entirety of the fan created Marvel World, is what their narrative been needing since forever. They're going to be like... the Italian Mafia meets the Occult. So, many other organizations are tied to the Guild, even in fear of them, and the way they orchestrate crime is gonna be so superior to what is canon.

As for Gambit and the Massacre... The chief writer has rewritten that, as well as built more plot and narrative around it; and in addition to its indirect connection with Dark Phoenix... its so good, and an awesome way to rework that into so much meaning for Gambit's character development. Maybe I'll share it with you in a PM, but... how the Massacre is being rewritten and rebuilt its what I wished happen in canon.

6. We're gonna get both. Early on, we see him more in the background, as he's not entirely comfortable with everyone. But gradually, we see more and more of what he's capable of, and he grows into a major support for the team, and has some awesome moments. THEN... certain events happen allowing him to become an actual major player.

7. LOL Well... believe it or not, he indirectly kinda sorta does become "the villain". Though its far more complex than it seemed (and yes, he winds up being the hero again), but we do get to experience a semi-villainous version of Gambit, much later into the later arcs. Now... somewhere down the line, Gambit during his solo would encounter an evil version of himself (like in an alternate reality) letting him see what he could have become.

Those are awesome insights mon' frere! I'll be honest... I'm not worried about anti-Gambit X-fans. I feel that many of them are haters because of poor writing on the writers' part. Almost what happened with Jean Grey (kinda reverse as writers loved her too much, and made a growing number of fans sick of her). They hated Jean, even the CHIEF writer stated she hated Jean Grey, and was actually happy so many fans didn't want to include her... but SHE (the chief) is such an awesome person, she said, "let me take the character I like the least, and rewrite them with a stronger story, and better development, to be relatable..." I'll be honest, I'm looking more at... what would revive this character into what he needs to be, and show everyone his true potential. Whoever wants to remain in the Mesozoic era and continue to hate, that's fine. But it'll be more to wind up liking him better, seeing this new take on said character.

Years ago I had started writing a book series focused on the concept of time in a world much like ours except it had some individuals with powers. It wasn't the MCU but rather a universe where the powers had explanations based in physics. So it was much more science based in explaining how these enhanced humans worked. In this universe there was a kid who had the ability to alter the fortunes of just about everyone in this universe and thus people were fighting for control of this kid. Eventually, in order to protect the kid and let him have a somewhat normal life, the kid is hidden in another universe.

And hence that is how Gambit came to be in the 616. The goal was for him to grow up and live a normal carefree life without the weight of an entire universe on his shoulders. Then eventually when he reaches a certain age, those that hid him would return for him to fulfill his destiny in his original universe. And so began the journey of Gambit turning into the Witness a being that experiences reality at once and in so doing can shape the destiny of anyone in any given reality given his power. Along the way Gambit would resist becoming the Witness as he would prefer to live and let live and because he longed for a normal life with Rogue but with the fate of entire universes in his hand, he ultimately gives up that normal life to become the Witness charged with shepherding others along the paths of their fates for the betterment of the multiverse. Eventually, I realized I would have to change a lot of the backstory/powers and such to avoid copyright issues with Marvel because obviously can't write a book about Gambit without their consent. So it morphed into the character being inspired by Gambit rather than Gambit himself.

At one point I had like 2000 pages of material split across 7 as I would just write scenes as they popped into my head rather than sit down and write one book from start to finish. Then life happened and I got a job making really good money and never got around to completely finishing any of the books.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Mighty Member

@remdat that’s...actually a really good origin.ngl.

A little out of nowhere, but for those saying that Channing couldn't get into Gambit shape, he just posted this...

channingtatum_120198307_5117286731645409_5652558535394985195_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFi1iQYFVTT/

I'm not even saying he'd be good in the role (and that ship has probably sailed), but the man has some discipline!

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Gambit needs stories where he necessary isn't the main focus but he is an active force. Making deals and setting up gambits. All his move should involve some chance. A wild strike that seperates him from other schemers. Other then that he boucnes off other characters splendidly. Often his friendships are with females. Pretty much all his relationships outside of the guild are with females. So there is no reason to break something that works.

Gambit is just someone that charms you and keeps the the story from being boring. He makes choices that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. He has no problem making a fool out of himslef to try to win Rogue's heart. Witch I think describes him well. The thief with a heart of gold. Allways in a internal battle between his different traits. Allways ready to talk himself out or into problem.

Not really. Elements here and there.

When writers dumb him down. In general there seems to be a problem with characters who are smart but not genius level. It's seems easier to group them into problem solvers and those that ask the, sometimes stupid questions, that move the story forward.
    When he's written as a emo character. While he might brood he doesn't do so when others, especially the ladies, can se it. Unless that is what works for whatever woman he is trying to seduce.

Isolated to cards. He's got such a creative power that he needs creative fights. Also the gradual limiting of his explosions. Some seem to treat them as mere nuisances.

Bring him back to a resonable power level. A typical alpha class mutant.

Just a good hustle story with Gambit pulling some crazy scheme off.
    [/QUOTE]

Sorry it's taken this long to reply LOL But I'm inundated with input from all over, so thanks for bearing with me ^_^

I ask these questions (awesome answers btw) because I'm a part of a massive Marvel Fan collab project, designed by fans FOR fans, to brainstorm and create stories WE want for our favorite Marvel heroes! These stories will be brought to life via animation/fanime. It DOES start them as kids (long story why) but, then there's a time skip early enough and, moving forward, they'll be young adults ^_^ Also, this series is DIRECTED towards ADULTS, so regardless of them as kids, there's blood, use of guns and weaponry, suggestive themes and such. I've created a preliminary thread for everyone to join in on, and discuss this project, what they'd like to see and such! As for your answers...

1. Starting off, Gambit is not at all a focus character, however, ever so gradually he does as it has been the request of many to give a GOOD Gambit focus story. However, that comes much later, and as a supporting member, we get plenty of highlights of his skill set, personality, hints and secrets of his dark past, loads of quips and an awesome showcase of his powers. His primary relationships are with girls in the show, however there plots showing a relationship with specific male characters, all very different from one and another.

2. There have been others to describe him as the "thief with a heart of gold", and it is part of the mantra of his character development. He's set to be more of an antihero, with his quirks, and mischief. However, when it comes down to it, what he does benefits the team. And in the end, he chooses the team. Part of his quirks is how he handles his relationship with Rogue, and while she at first act as if she's annoyed by him, deep down, she not only loves his attention, but he's a big part in breaking down her own barriers.

3. Don't worry, that's gonna be fixed real nicely ^_^

4. OH yeah, that's something our writers have discussed a LOT about. In this version, Gambit's quite smart, able to figure things out, bypass all sorts of security, is very cunning and shrewd, and applies his knowledge in multiple ways. Gambit is difficult to write ONLY if you're not creative. I feel many canon writers don't know how to juggle the complexities of his character, and... honestly, I would be great if a Japanese manga writer wrote him for Marvel. Manga authors got more sense and depth with complex characters.

5. Oh trust me, you have no idea when it comes to creativity. The chief writer is a MAJOR Gambit fan, and stated "just as Claremont saw potential in Jean Grey, its my time now to realize Gambit's full potential..." She has some insanely creative ideas to bring his powers to life, and take him as a character to new feats and levels. EVEN his use of cards, are evolved into something extraordinary.

6. His power levels are being creatively handled. You and everyone else will like this twist ^_^

7. He's gonna have plenty of moments like that... big ones, small ones, and mindfuck level ones lol

Please join our main thread here for the conversation, and share more ideas and input! https://community.cbr.com/showthread...non-think-tank

Make his leadership and connections to the Thieves Guild significant within the Marvel world. Make the organization ancient, secretive, international, and yes a bit mystical. Let there be conflicts of interest between being in the Guild and serving the X-Men. Let the Guild have connections to other crime syndicates like the Hellfire Club or The Hand. Maybe sometimes they work for the X-Men? Sometimes against? Finally, answers to what his connections are to Sinister and the Black Womb project and his parentage.

His casual charisma and doggedness, pessimism, and relative comfort in the gray of life. I love how loyal he is to the few people he loves, that he lives by his own code and ultimately has a heart of gold. That he is skeptical and hides his feelings most of the time. That heroism doesn't come naturally to him. That he is always is weighing the stakes and the odds, but loves the thrill of taking a risk. That what he wants most in life are people he can trust and that can love him despite himself. That he puts on many masks to hide his true opinions and feelings. That he has many regrets, but they don't stop him from moving forward.

Not quite. All his incarnations have some correct elements, but none has the full story. *Amending because I was only thinking of the cartoons.* I think he was captured best by Claremont early on and again in X-Treme and The End, Fabian Nicieza in Gambit 1999, Marjorie Liu in X-23 and James Asmus in Gambit 2012.

When he is played to be gross or creepy toward women or as the bumbling fool and team clown. When his skills are ignored and writers consider him a joke. When his accent is too France French rather than a Southern Yat or Cajun French.

They don't have a direction for his personal character growth since he rejoined the team. They really haven't had a direction for him since his 2012 solo. I am a huge fan of his marriage to Rogue and love this development for him, but he needs purpose and interests outside of her as well.

Show the skills he has outside of throwing charged cards. He's a master thief and has all the skills that come with that. He should have extreme dexterity and agility. Also show us the creative uses of his powers, like timed charges, disintegration, charging large objects ... also it's common fanon that he has enhanced night vision and a sort of spatial or empathic awareness due to sensing the inherent potential energy in people and objects.

Give us a Gambit who is a little more dark, maybe even starts as a double agent and switches sides. Give us the epic romance with Rogue that no cartoon has quite been able to pull off.
    Hey there! ^_^ you already got an idea what's going on, so lets skip straight to your answers. These are awesome suggestions and insights, and they closely resemble a lot of what's already on the table, and being brought into his character.

1. The Guild is being considerably overhauled and reworked. They're kinda like the Mafia meets Skull and Bones/the Occult, with influence in politics, the corporate world, and most definitely the Underworld. There's also exploration of their ties with entities and realms beyond the Mortal world, so that's gonna be freaking awesome. Their mysticism, their Prophesy of Le Diable Blanc, all of that is really getting an awesome face lift, and would be explored in much greater detail. One of the things that has already been introduced, is more Guilds, their connections with other organizations (the Hand was definitely mentioned), and exploration into how each of them operate. Early in the story, they'll actually be introduced, but in the shadows, with hints of who they are. Because of how well hidden they are, and the fact there's many operations for various purposes, they do in fact work for and against many establishments, such as AIM, SHIELD, even HYDRA, so we'll get loads of that

Gambit's origins are explored in the most creative and fascinating way that this character's been needing for the longest. The plot with Sinister, Gambit's parentage... its all gonna really, really be good. Everything between Gambit and Sinister, has been well worked and partially re-imagined.

2. Everyone talks about "the thief with a heart of gold" component of his character. Gambit shows loyalty to those he deems family, and certainly lives by his own code, which puts him at constant odds with the likes of Scott and Jean (Jean especially). Remy well guards his mind with his psionic static, and learn more ways to utilize that ability. The chief describes Gambit as an "antihero", the kind the layman can see themselves as, due to his transgressions, yet yearning to to correct them and move forward, in spite of himself. The trust thing is explored in a wonderful way, he most he's trusted on a psionic level is John Proundstar, who shares similar ideologies (somewhat), and John's genuine acceptance of Gambit for who he is, and not was, gains him a level of psionic bond that not even Jean Grey and Xavier understand. Storm he's shown to be trusting of, but heavily cautious, and Rogue he loves, but hides a lot from her, out of love and fear of losing the one person he loves the most. Its beautiful, love this plot, and you're hitting so many key points we're talking about.

3. Trust me, this will probably be Gambit's best incarnation. I've said it before, and now again, chief stated that she wants to follow Claremont's footsteps in how he realized Jean Grey's potential, but doing so for Gambit. I believe many writers shutter at having to write him, because he's complex, and he requires a writer who has a love for complex antiheroes, has depth in storytelling, and knowledge beyond just comic stuff, such as metaphysics, psychology, and science (for his powers), and we're lucky chief writer is all three. Also... Gambit needs a writer who LOVES him, and WANT to write about him, and his story needs the imput of fans, who have good insights of his character.

4. I HATE THAT too. I also hate his design from X-Evolution, just had to throw that out there. Gambit is humorous, not an idiot. He's sexual in nature, the chief states him being the ultimate example of a Scorpio, which are sexual in nature. But they aren't creeps, by default. I like the suave approach, from his cool, calm voice, his swagger, the way he works his accent, and how he'll use his attributes to be manipulative, should be the focus. And I agee with the accent thing... so many think he needs a French accent and like... guys, he's AMERICAN for godsake! I hope that for his adult voice, we can find someone that can capture a great Cajun/Southern accent.

5. That is something his "evolution" brings in, which is a vast amount of direction and development for his character. Also, the Guild is going to be part of his story, as well as Doctor Strange and Doctor Voodoo. The destiny bestowed upon him during his "evolution" grants him so much to do, and also grants him a reason to love Rogue all the more. Grants deeper meaning to their relationship.

6. We've talking about his skills and powers lol the chief writer has a multitude of ways for him to display the use of his powers, show what happens when he "overloads", and how versitile he can be. He's not just gonna be the master thief, but we'll see sleuth and stealth, his combat skills, and even low level hacking and handy work (for break ins, for example). Already, we'll get a broader scope of Gambit's powers, but its going to really explode during his character evolution. Nice knowing that about the fanon, as I know sensitivity to light is something discussed also. I like the spatial awareness, almost like Toph from Avatar, and how she used earth bending.

7. We'll get plenty of Gambit's dark side, in various amounts and forms. The romance between him and Rogue is not just epic, but very emotional as well, and full of meaning. Not just their banter and usual antics, their relationship builds both characters considerably, AND Gambit and Rogue's relationship is key to events in the Phoenix Trilogy.

AWESOME answers, wonderful insights and suggestions, KEEP IT UP!

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    A little out of nowhere, but for those saying that Channing couldn't get into Gambit shape, he just posted this...

channingtatum_120198307_5117286731645409_5652558535394985195_n.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFi1iQYFVTT/

I'm not even saying he'd be good in the role (and that ship has probably sailed), but the man has some discipline!
    I always supported Tatum as Gambit from the start. He would be a great Remy and script was good. Sad that it never happend.