Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Long time, no see! Gambit is fine. Nothing great. He’s mostly just wallpaper right now with a couple cool moments, once in a blue moon. Most of the time he’s not being written well, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Glad to see you Hope you are fine.
    Nothing good for Gambit so far. And it seems nothing will change for better soon
    That's a bummer. I was very excited to see Hickman take over the X-Men. Bummer a lot of the ones I like to read aren't being utilized much.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    That's a bummer. I was very excited to see Hickman take over the X-Men. Bummer a lot of the ones I like to read aren't being utilized much.
    Hickman is doing good big-picture stuff but I always find his character work off. Toni Howard, who’s writing Gambit, isn’t any better, unfortunately.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    One thing I did actually find kind of interesting. In the last issue of Excalibur Remy tosses something through a portal to activate something on the other side. Remy does something similar using Magiks portal in a Gambit fan film made a few months ago. Anyone else feel like Marvel writers saw the fan film and wanted to pay homage to it or recognize it in some way? Or maybe just a coincidence

Attachment 100713
    Attachment 100714Attachment 100715
    Just a coincidence. Portal thing was awesome and smart in fan video. Nothing like that in Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Attachment 100373

Hmmm ... interesting ... will Remy get a show in X of Swords?
    Probably just a mirror variant that means nothing but I remebered that old variant.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Does not seem Mr. and Mrs. X get an important role. sadly...
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Spectacular Member

Probably just a mirror variant that means nothing but I remebered that old variant.

Yeah, prob just a horsemen of death variant, since they all this in common. Others could have been added.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Does not seem Mr. and Mrs. X get an important role. sadly...
    Not surprised really. I don`t expect them to have anything important as long as Hickman is in charge. Maybe it will change if some new writer who is a fan will get to write them.

Not surprised really. I don`t expect them to have anything important as long as Hickman is in charge. Maybe it will change if some new writer who is a fan will get to write them.
    Don't worry... we DO have a fan creating something EPIC for Gambit and Rogue. Once discussions come around to individual characters, I'd like to engage more here about it

Mighty Member

Just a coincidence. Portal thing was awesome and smart in fan video. Nothing like that in Excalibur.
    The throw itself was cool in Exalibur but just some of the motivation for it needed to be thought out more. I still have hope that Gambit picking up the sword and the card deck will give him a big part somewhere in this event. I hope he's not just a placeholder holding onto the sword for a couple issues then giving it away without any reason to

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    Don't worry... we DO have a fan creating something EPIC for Gambit and Rogue. Once discussions come around to individual characters, I'd like to engage more here about it
    Waiting for it

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    The throw itself was cool in Exalibur but just some of the motivation for it needed to be thought out more. I still have hope that Gambit picking up the sword and the card deck will give him a big part somewhere in this event. I hope he's not just a placeholder holding onto the sword for a couple issues then giving it away without any reason to
    It all depends how he will be written later. If he REALLY will get a chance to settle down things with Apoc then it was fine and I liked that he stopped Candra first and then decided to stop Apoc.

I still think that Gambit and Rogue will be completely absent from Swords. I think that Sword that he stole isnthe same that Apoc used on Candra to make a gem.
    Maybe Gambit may use that Sword to steal Apoc powers?

I'm a bit late to the party, but... Gambit has been terribly written for so long, its nice to see a positive conversation about what could be.

If you all had the opportunity to give Gambit the story and development you feel he deserves, what would it entail?
    The best thing for Gambit is to get away from the X-Men. The character is at his best when he's doing his thing and crossing paths with other marvel characters. Gambit's wit and fighting prowess needs to be brought back. I miss when he would utilize his charm to mislead/misdirect while always thinking steps ahead.

I want to see Gambit utilize his skillset in these big crossover crisis in his unorthodox ways. Like Secret Empire could of been an amazing opportunity to have a story of Gambit infiltrating Hydra with high stakes.

What do you like/love about the character?
    That a well written Gambit always steals the scene. He approaches people and situations so uniquely, that you never really know what to expect. His powerset is also badass.

Have you seen what you wanted represented well, in any media?
    Nicieza and Asmus' runs are my favorite with a small shoutout to Extreme X-Men and Liu's run on X-23.

What do you NOT like/love about the character?
    The thieves guild. Gambit's ties to it only feel relevant in his solo books, so its difficult to take it seriously.

If there's a complaint about the character, or his development in Marvel media, what would it be?
    How unprofessional writers are to know the character has a fanbase, but put their personal feelings of the character above all and write Gambit like ass. It's why I will not purchase any X-Men comic books until the writers actually have integrity and give effort to all of the main characters in their team book.

If you could enhance Gambit in some way, what would that be, and or entail?
    With writers not understanding his power and abilities, his power level and even thieving ability has decreased over the years. Just make him so that he can go toe to toe with the best of Marvel.

If you could have one wish granted, that insane fanboy/fangirl carte blanche done with Gambit's character that you'd love so much, what would it be?
    That he has a writer who actually does their research and writes him well. I don't care what the medium is, I just want to be able to enjoy my favorite character again...
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

If you all had the opportunity to give Gambit the story and development you feel he deserves, what would it entail?

Oh, boy, where to begin. For one, I’d have him leave the X-men. He needs to be better established in the comics and have an identity outside the team. The building blocks are already there, they just need to be put together. Like, I would give him his own solo where we get to see just how well-connected he is and stuff. Maybe he’s on a secret mission for the X-men that none of them know about. Gathering information or something. Like, Gambit should be the black-ops, spy, saboteur, and informant of the X-men. His skillset is ridiculously valuable, and they barely use them.
    Having him be on a secret mission for Xavier or someone else could be really cool. And in the solo we could also see him help other heroes behind the scenes, pulling a couple strings here and there, manipulating events or just nudging things in a slightly better direction if he was so inclined.

Another thing that I really want to see, is a storyline where he must juggle his different loyalties. Like, his loyalty to the Guilds/his family (and all that entails) versus his loyalty to the X-men. He has a mission, but shit’s going down with the Guild and he needs them for whatever reason. Lots of manipulation and misdirection, questionable choices and morality, all the while Gambit’s trying to stay several steps ahead of whatever problem he’s facing. Oh, and a lot of seemingly crazy risks to. His name is Gambit after all.

Basically, I want a story where Gambit gets to show what’s he good for. How powerful, connected, skilled and intelligent he is. A story where he’s got a plan, an agenda, and is stringing everyone a long with him, but no one realizing how firmly in control he is. A story where maybe not everything goes according to plan (because I don’t think he’s the sort to plan everything fully like the stereotypical mastermind/trickster) but he adapts and makes it work.

Just, I want Gambit to be a badass again, and I want his relationships to be good and on his terms.

What do you like/love about the character?

Oof, everything? He’s cool and badass, both in terms of personality and appearance (not to mention powers and lore). When he’s well-written, he steals every scene he’s in, like a bloody magnet. He’s fun, laissez faire, full of swagger and confidence, a manipulative little trickster you can’t help but love. But there’s a darker side to him too, beneath all that. Lots of conflict and trauma. He could easily have become a villain, and honestly, he has a lot of dubious traits about him.
    He’s willing to cross lines and boundaries others aren’t, and he isn’t a predictable, stereotypical goody-two-shoes. He’s one of few characters I think would be willing to do despicable things if he felt it was necessary. Gambit is the sort of character that dances between good and evil, wrestling with his own demons, wants and desires, playing an angle, and you’re never sure if he’s truly on your side. Yet, he still cares so much about the people close to him. And it’s just so fascinating to watch.

Have you seen what you wanted represented well, in any media?

Eh, never fully. Different media have gotten aspects of him right, but never the whole package. Maybe aside from Nicieza and a couple of fanfics.

What do you NOT like/love about the character?

How many people write him as a creep or as incompetent/stupid. He’s none of those things. My boy drinks the respect women juice. Also, the King of Thieves stuff. Cool concept but doesn’t work with the implementation.

If there's a complaint about the character, or his development in Marvel media, what would it be?

Beyond what I said above, when he’s written as excessively flirty or broody. The man does brood (as he has every right to, ‘cuz **** he’s been thru some ****) but he’s very restrained about it. He doesn’t brood or whine when others can see it. He keeps that to himself.

If you could enhance Gambit in some way, what would that be, and or entail?

Have him be a lot more creative in his power usage. Kinetic Energy Manipulation (and by proxy potential energy manip.) is insanely powerful, not to mention the other powers he has. Dude can do so much beyond just throwing cards.

If you could have one wish granted, that insane fanboy/fangirl carte blanche done with Gambit's character that you'd love so much, what would it be?

I have said a bit about this already, but have him be a badass and respected by the others characters (though still underestimated). He’s a hustler, a caring friend, but a criminal and a con man. The damn snake in the garden. A devil from heaven or an angel from hell. There’s so much I want from him I couldn’t fit it all, let alone make it coherent.

Some art from Belen Ortega probably for Captain Marvel.
    Maybe King in Black tie in?