Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

When you read old X-Men titles. The way Wolverine goes after Jean after repeated no's makes him look like a sexual assaulter. And a creep. I always thought he was a creep anyway. He is a 150 year old man lusting over a teenage redhead when they first meet. How does Wolverine get a pass?

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    When you read old X-Men titles. The way Wolverine goes after Jean after repeated no's makes him look like a sexual assaulter. And a creep. I always thought he was a creep anyway. He is a 150 year old man lusting over a teenage redhead when they first meet. How does Wolverine get a pass?
    She wasnt a teen when they met. Id say closer to 22. He gets a pass with someone people bc he's extremely popular. He's done alot of messed up things over the years that gets overlooked bc of that

It was the 70s. Wolverine’s advances towards Jean were written similarly to a lot of male characters in fiction at the time, aggressive and not taking no for an answer. Horrible of course, but that was considered “badass” Back then.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    It was the 70s. Wolverine’s advances towards Jean were written similarly to a lot of male characters in fiction at the time, aggressive and not taking no for an answer. Horrible of course, but that was what was considered “badass” at the time.
    Agreed, but there’s been some later stuff too; there was a horrid cover of him on his hands and knees between her skirted legs, it was demeaning to both characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Agreed, but there’s been some later stuff too; there was a horrid cover of him on his hands and knees between her skirted legs, it was demeaning to both characters.
    What cover was that?

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    What cover was that?
    X-Men Unlimited 12.
    Some horrible anatomy in the picture too.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I won't ever forget that Wolverine raped Mary Jane in the Ultimate universe while in Peter Parker's body or the fact that he possibly had a relationship with Squirrel Girl. All somewhat recent events and utterly disgusting.
    Last edited by Amacent; 06-19-2020 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    Yeah, those scenes have not aged well, nor has the portrayal in the movies. In fact, the movies have aged far worse in my opinion, mostly because Wolverine barely knew Jean for more than a few days. Yet he's that obsessed with her? It's beyond creepy.

On the other side of that coin, Scott and Jean's relationship has aged better than most. Yes, it's not perfect. They've had their issues. But compared to others, like Reed and Sue, Scott and Jean's relationship has been one of equals. They've both been heroes on their own terms. They've both operated independently on separate teams while still being in love. They've made mistakes and let their passions lead them astray, but that helps make their relationship feel more real. They're not some fairy tale romance. They're a real couple with real issues that they work through together. And I hope that's what we see when they show up in the MCU.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    I won't ever forget that Wolverine raped Mary Jane in the Ultimate universe while in Peter Parker's body or the fact that he possibly had a relationship with Squirrel Girl. All somewhat recent events and utterly disgusting.
    Was squirrel girl an adult at the time of her and Wolverine’s relationship or has she always been a teenager?

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Yeah, those scenes have not aged well, nor has the portrayal in the movies. In fact, the movies have aged far worse in my opinion, mostly because Wolverine barely knew Jean for more than a few days. Yet he's that obsessed with her? It's beyond creepy.

On the other side of that coin, Scott and Jean's relationship has aged better than most. Yes, it's not perfect. They've had their issues. But compared to others, like Reed and Sue, Scott and Jean's relationship has been one of equals. They've both been heroes on their own terms. They've both operated independently on separate teams while still being in love. They've made mistakes and let their passions lead them astray, but that helps make their relationship feel more real. They're not some fairy tale romance. They're a real couple with real issues that they work through together. And I hope that's what we see when they show up in the MCU.
    Sue and Richards are pretty much equals. Scott did a lot more mistakes than Jean, I odn't consider them close to be equals

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Was squirrel girl an adult at the time of her and Wolverine’s relationship or has she always been a teenager?
    I don't understand Marvel's whole sliding timescale but when Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015) begins, Doreen is just getting started in college so around 17-18 I guess when they met.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post

I'm not sure I can describe Wolverine's attraction to Jean in the movies as creepy. It seems like there was a mutual attraction which makes it not so creepy. If he was harassing or grooming her I would agree, but there seemed to be a spark between the two in their earlier scenes.

Of course their first scene was him getting aggressive with her when he woke up and she was caring for him so there is that. Often times in movies the characters develop strong feeling almost right away (I think of Flash Gordon and how fast Flash fell for Dale in the film). It often doesn't make much sense and comes on real quick.

I think Jean and Logan did have chemistry in the movie. I think back to the scene where she reads his mind in the bedroom in the first movie and is interrupted by Scott. Unfortunately in the films Cyclops did not get his due and did not have enough story in X2 and was killed off early in X3.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Not that I don't mind the conversations, but I would prefer if there was more appreciation of the couple most of us view positively. I really don't want things to devolve into more hate against Logan (there seem to be enough threads that focus on jabs at other characters already). While Scott may have gotten the short end of the stick at times and Jean got a bad deal, there's still a lot to appreciate with the two and hopefully in the future, some more.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Not that I don't mind the conversations, but I would prefer if there was more appreciation of the couple most of us view positively. I really don't want things to devolve into more hate against Logan (there seem to be enough threads that focus on jabs at other characters already). While Scott may have gotten the short end of the stick at times and Jean got a bad deal, there's still a lot to appreciate with the two and hopefully in the future, some more.
    Scott only got the short end of the stick on movies, like everyone else. on comics he is basically a king

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Scott only got the short end of the stick on movies, like everyone else. on comics he is basically a king
    Only amongst a special breed of X-Fans. It's interesting how many fandoms both the character of Cyclops and his fandom have alienated over the years, including Jean's. I've seen some hardcore Jott shippers, myself included, give up entirely after all the disrespect we received from the Wrongclops supporters.