Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's a Constantine middle-grade novel called "The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher" where he goes to school with a girl named "Ana."

[img]

That's probably Zatanna, right?
    That is hilarious. I’m picturing Garth Ennis’ reaction to this and it’s making me grin. What’s with the weird “this character is totally the mainline version except with only the last three letters of their ‘normal’ name” trend in the kid books? Damian is “Ian”, Zatanna is “Ana”, it’s really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    After seeing Constantine in JL Action nothing surprises me any more.
    That he's still wearing the trench coat and tie make him look he stole his dad's work clothes.

What a trouble maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That he's still wearing the trench coat and tie make him look he stole his dad's work clothes.

What a trouble maker.
    Does he carry around a flask and looks like he is drinking but it's actually orange juice?

He was still wearing the trench coat and tie when he got de-aged into a kid in Justice League Action. I think he had a lollipop instead of a cig there too .
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That is hilarious. I’m picturing Garth Ennis’ reaction to this and it’s making me grin. What’s with the weird “this character is totally the mainline version except with only the last three letters of their ‘normal’ name” trend in the kid books? Damian is “Ian”, Zatanna is “Ana”, it’s really weird.
    To be honest, I just find it weird how many nicknames Zatanna has. "Zee," "Zanna," now maybe "Ana."

I think in this case, it's just meant to be a 'clever' twist with Anna turning out to be Zatanna.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think in this case, it's just meant to be a 'clever' twist with Anna turning out to be Zatanna.
    Doesn’t really explain why they changed “Damian” into “Ian”. Lol maybe they were afraid of being accused of pushing Satanism? Dunno why they’d change Zatanna to Anna though.

Same reason, I suspect. Zatan sounds like Satan, i.e. the devil. An odd decision though, considering Etrigan is involved in this.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think the Ian/Damian thing was because the creative team of that book was trying to play up Damian as this posh rich kid. Hence the paler than usual skin tone, brown hair coupled with tailored suits and the slicked back here. He looked like a mini Michael Fassbender. Even though Damian is not British, they tried to play him up as this mini posh upper class British kid. It annoyed those who remember that Talia is half Arab/half Chinese and thus Damian is mixed.

While the Ian/Damian and Anna/Zatanna are both cases of characters having their name shortened, the reasoning behind it might be wildly different.

I thought Anna/Zatanna might be a case of them thinking that the name might too hard pronounce for a middle schooler but is it any more difficult than Constantine? Besides there has already been books for middle schoolers starring Zatanna and they used her full name in it.

The only logical reasoning is that either Anna is a cover with the reveal that she is actually Zatanna or Anna is a totally original character for the Constantine mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Does he have any particular affection for Constantine? I assume his reaction would be to just shrug.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Does he have any particular affection for Constantine? I assume his reaction would be to just shrug.
    He wrote the definitive Constantine for years so yeah, I would assume so.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Doubtless he doesn’t have the same affection for it as his creator owned work, but given he took the piss out of “superhero Constantine” with Heckblazer I assume he does have some general affection for the character and pretty firm beliefs on what John should be. He’s also never been burnt by DC the way Moore has so I don’t think he has the same distaste for his work for hire stuff.

Zatanna's appearance in the latest issue of Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace was enjoyable. She's also in a more traditional Zatanna status quo so nice change of pace from how she's been on JLD for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Zatanna's appearance in the latest issue of Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace was enjoyable. She's also in a more traditional Zatanna status quo so nice change of pace from how she's been on JLD for a while.
    I'll be sure to check it out .