Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They're definitely not going to do the fishnets outside of a scene of her stage show at Vegas, should that be in the movie. She'll likely be in the leather pants she's wearing now, or something similar.

Who knows, they may put them on her arms instead like in Birds of Prey: And The Self-Indulgent Hijacking of Their Big Screen Debut By One Harley Quinn.
    That would be so boring though.

I think it probably depends on what kind of tone and style they go for with the movie. If they go for something more whimsical and fun I can see her classic look working well on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Are you talking about the fishnets?
    Although her traditional costume is my fave; them choosing the new outfit over that one is the least of my worries.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That would be so boring though.

I think it probably depends on what kind of tone and style they go for with the movie. If they go for something more whimsical and fun I can see her classic look working well on a consistent basis.
    I just don't see the fishnets in today's climate. I want to, I really love that costume, but really.

I'm somewhat cautiously optimistic for a Zatanna movie, at least more so than I would be if it were CW thing which is what I was mostly expecting where'd she show up.

As for if they'd go for the traditional fishnets look? I lean towards they probably wouldn't but I guess depends on the tone of the movie, Harley Quinn's outfits from the movies aren't that far removed from that kind of look.

You guys are worried about her dress and I'm here thinking how they will show her powers. Zatanna's powers have been really inconsistent mainly because of how they work. I hate the explanation "whatever she says backwards becomes real". Instead of that, it should be that she has to prepare her spells in advance and uses backward talk to activate them. Also make use of her stage magician gimmick. Make her spells be somehow related to her stage magician persona.

Put some limitations like
    1)Not affecting the target directly. Like you can't just say a spell and it happens. Instead of that, use some particle effect like a beam or projectile which hits the target. If not, then atleast be in the vicinity of the target.
    2)No overpowered spells like POTS, PEELS, teleporting others in an instant or anyother spell that ends the fight in an instant.
    3) Be creative. Instead of shooting beams of light, use the surrounding. Change the weather or gravity, clone yourself. There are unlimited possibilities
    4) Don't just stand in one place. Be agile and move around. Don't become reliant on magic. Have some form of hand to hand combat.
    5) This one affects me more than most - Keep the spells short and quick. It gets really annoying very fast when she sputters out long backward sentences and enemy just sits there and watches.

I think this episode of Justice League Action portrayed her best
    Last edited by Edwin30; 07-12-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Incredible Member

I've always liked Zatanna even though I've never read much with her. Plus I've felt the magic/supernatural elements can fit the superhero genre while also being a niche area for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post
    You guys are worried about her dress and I'm here thinking how they will show her powers. Zatanna's powers have been really inconsistent mainly because of how they work. I hate the explanation "whatever she says backwards becomes real". Instead of that, it should be that she has to prepare her spells in advance and uses backward talk to activate them. Also make use of her stage magician gimmick. Make her spells be somehow related to her stage magician persona.

1)Not affecting the target directly. Like you can't just say a spell and it happens. Instead of that, use some particle effect like a beam or projectile which hits the target. If not, then atleast be in the vicinity of the target.
    2)No overpowered spells like POTS, PEELS, teleporting others in an instant or anyother spell that ends the fight in an instant.
    3) Be creative. Instead of shooting beams of light, use the surrounding. Change the weather or gravity, clone yourself. There are unlimited possibilities
    4) Don't just stand in one place. Be agile and move around. Don't become reliant on magic. Have some form of hand to hand combat.
    5) This one affects me more than most - Keep the spells short and quick. It gets really annoying very fast when she sputters out long backward sentences and enemy just sits there and watches.

I mean a fully expect it to be an origin so she'd for sure be weaker until the end of the film where we get a glimpse of things to come. I strongly doubt they'll go full established heroine with a short intro to her at the start. I mean, that's exactly what I want (and if it doesn't open at her Vegas show, that's such a missed opportunity) but it's not what I expect. We won't be getting the Zee who can challenge Dr. Fate, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post

I loved Zee in JLA, both from a visuals and power depiction. Lacey Chabert didn't hurt either .

I loved Zee in JLA, both from a visuals and power depiction. Lacey Chabert didn't hurt either .
    Watching this just makes me realize how much I miss the classic look. I don't know why they keep trying to fix what never broke.

Yeah, Chabert's probably my favorite of Zatanna's VAs.

What are Zatanna's most recent comic appearances outside of Justice League Dark?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    What are Zatanna's most recent comic appearances outside of Justice League Dark?
    Detective Comics, Young Justice, and DCeased come to mind right now.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Who would you cast as Zatanna? I would go with Ana de Armas from Knives Out.

How do you guys think they will deal her identity problem?

Real name- Zatanna Zatara
    Stage name- Zatanna Zatara
    Superhero name- Zatanna Zatara

I remember in Paul dini's run she only had one identity and everyone knew her as a crime fighting superhero as well as a stage magician with real powers.

Actually DC has never really clarified what her status is in the Universe. No one writer has really worked on her for a significant period.
    For example - Zatanna is seen in her stage magician outfit battling super villains along with the Justice League. The next moment she is performing on stage and a jerk in the audience calls her out saying its all a hoax and she's using wires.

I think the cartoon DC Superhero Girls did a neat job of making her real & stage name - Zee Zatara and her superhero name - Zatanna

They also gave her three different outfits- superhero, stage and casual.
    20200714_210441.jpg

In a live action set up, I think she should have three different names and her identity must be a secret.
    Zatanna should be her real name.
    Her stage name must be something else and she shouldn't use real magic on stage. Its alright if she does use real magic but only for the impossible acts. Otherwise she should stick with sleight of hand and prestidigitation.
    Her superhero name can be something else but she'll need to wear a mask or some kind of charm that hides her face.

DC universe is really complicated. People get away with powers that are impossible in the real world by saying there is science behind it. But then what can Magic do that science can't? How are the two different?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Who would you cast as Zatanna? I would go with Ana de Armas from Knives Out.
    Interesting thought, I was thinking Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jone’s from Netflix) or Naomi Scott (live action Aladdin) but Ana de Armas could work.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.