Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Sure, but that is inconsistent with other continuities. I like the lesser used (but still definitely used, at least in pre-COIE) where she's not his generation. In Zatara's first appearance in 80s Superboy, she was still considered quite a bit younger than Bruce and Clark (as per letters pages after Zatara appeared, and consistent with Zatara's age there). So while, yes, mine is personal preference, it is canonically-backed. Just from a different era of canon (but that's the case with lots of things I like).
    The Zee/Bruce thing seems to be more of the de-facto continuity since Post-Crisis, although I remember in Bloodspell she was the "new fish" to Black Canary's old vet when they did a flashback to her days on the satellite League.

According to the concept art, Zatanna was 12 and Dinah was 16 when they met in Bloodspell. Thus Zee would have been 22 when she joined the League and Dinah would have been 26 and in the 'present' timeline of Bloodpsell, Zee and Dinah would have been 27 and 31 respectively. It works for me, since it Zee is still younger but not so young that she is a Teen Titan but still old enough to be associating with Black Canary and her gen of heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm still kind of bummed adult Zatanna on YJ hasn't worn the top hat yet.

There was a recent live reading for a between seasons story of YJ that mentioned Zatanna having "protege's." I think Traci 13 is one of them, so maybe the other is Zachary? Or Raven.
    Not sure. YJ has so many characters they are barely able to service them all. They really need to split it into 2-3 shows. I'm fine with less episodes if it means each show would have more focus on a 'core' cast'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Sure, but that is inconsistent with other continuities. I like the lesser used (but still definitely used, at least in pre-COIE) where she's not his generation. In Zatara's first appearance in 80s Superboy, she was still considered quite a bit younger than Bruce and Clark (as per letters pages after Zatara appeared, and consistent with Zatara's age there). So while, yes, mine is personal preference, it is canonically-backed. Just from a different era of canon (but that's the case with lots of things I like).
    Usually character ages and generation shifts don't bug me. I didn't mind YJ putting Superboy and Miss Martian in Dick's generation even though in the comics they are more associated with Tim Drake. I guess it comes down to whether the changes serve the character or not and in Zee's case I did feel we missed out on something more unique that was brewing in the comics at the time. Zatanna and Batman being childhood friends is a part of B:TAS as well as the post-Crisis pre-Nu52 and later Rebirth canon. Nu52 didn't contradict it but as with all things Nu52, it was never explained, they just knew each other.

I guess, like you said, it comes down to personal preference. I've said in the past that the best and worst thing about the DCU is that nobody can actually agree on what the DCU is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Not sure. YJ has so many characters they are barely able to service them all. They really need to split it into 2-3 shows. I'm fine with less episodes if it means each show would have more focus on a 'core' cast'.
    Yeah, the cast size and time jumps have really hampered the show in my opinion.

JLA (1997) #117 Aug 2005.jpg
    JLA (1997) #117 date - Aug 2005

Its kinda funny how the person who wrote this page is also the person who introduced Zachary Zatara less than a year later in Teen Titans Vol. 3 #34 date - May 2006.

It was Geoff John who wrote the infamous JLA : Crisis of Conscience (pic above) and sold it as a prelude to his Infinite crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin30 View Post

Its kinda funny how the person who wrote this page is also the person who introduced Zachary Zatara less than a year later in Teen Titans Vol. 3 #34 date - May 2006.

It was Geoff John who wrote the infamous JLA : Crisis of Conscience (pic above) and sold it as a prelude to his Infinite crisis.
    Zee tends to get along well with Flashes...

She does have a more young adult novel coming out as well .
    It's been canceled. Or at least pushed back.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...graphic-novel/

Quote Originally Posted by Zee_Fan View Post
    It's been canceled. Or at least pushed back.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...graphic-novel/
    Oh...that's concerning .

Hopefully it does get released later on.

Maybe plans changed. I know in KC, Zachary was Constantine and Zatanna's kid but in the DCU they haven't revealed who his father was but he and Zee were practicing magic when she was a teen and he was just a kid.

d3hwoex-5d8acfab-934f-42b4-9a63-215c330e7a55.jpg
    Last edited by John Venus; 12-24-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Fantastic Member

There was a recent live reading for a between seasons story of YJ that mentioned Zatanna having "protege's." I think Traci 13 is one of them, so maybe the other is Zachary? Or Raven.
    Thirteen, real name Traci Thurston, first appeared YJO ep1 "Princes All" and confirmed in next appearance, which included her first dialogue that she was being mentored by Zee.

So far, the identity of any further proteges is unknown, however I'd consider Raven possible as Phil Bourassa (YJ character artist) has already done at least two looks for Raven for the DCAMU, whereas Zee's guardianship being given to either Batman or Red Tornado in Young Justice implies that there are no other Zataras, which makes Zach unlikely.

Maybe plans changed. I know in KC, Zachary was Constantine and Zatanna's kid but in the DCU they haven't revealed who his father was but he and Zee were practicing magic when she was a teen and he was just a kid.

d3hwoex-5d8acfab-934f-42b4-9a63-215c330e7a55.jpg
    In Kingdom Come, Constantine and Zatanna's kid was named just "Zatara" not "Zachary".
    Zatanna and Zachary practicing magic as kids was from a flashback in Dini's run that came out in 2010.

When JLA #117 came out, Zee was suffering the fallout of her decisions in Identity crisis. It was wise of Johns to point out that she didn't have a family other than the league and protecting that family is what motivated her to make those decisions. But then Johns introduced Zachary in the most blandest of ways.

I'm glad that Zee has a younger brother but his introduction could've been handled differently. He could've have shown up at Zee's door steps one day and be like ,

"Hey, remember me. I'm Zachary your cousin. We used to practice magic together as kids and we promised each other that we'll become a brother - sister magic duo but then I decided to strike out on my own and never even thought of calling you back. Things didn't turn out so well for me but I see you've made a great name for yourself."
    At that moment, Zee rushes in and hugs her brother tight. Happy that she still has a family to care about.

See. It's consistent with Zee's story and much better than how Geoff Johns introduced him where he's like -
    "I'm Zachary Zatara. I don't know why my cousin never mentioned me even once".

I would love to see Zach hangout with Zee in JLD. He's a big part of her life.
    RCO034_1468906951.jpg

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

In Kingdom Come, Constantine and Zatanna's kid was named just "Zatara" not "Zachary".
    Zatanna and Zachary practicing magic as kids was from a flashback in Dini's run that came out in 2010.

When JLA #117 came out, Zee was suffering the fallout of her decisions in Identity crisis. It was wise of Johns to point out that she didn't have a family other than the league and protecting that family is what motivated her to make those decisions. But then Johns introduced Zachary in the most blandest of ways.

I'm glad that Zee has a younger brother but his introduction could've been handled differently. He could've have shown up at Zee's door steps one day and be like ,

"Hey, remember me. I'm Zachary your cousin. We used to practice magic together as kids and we promised each other that we'll become a brother - sister magic duo but then I decided to strike out on my own and never even thought of calling you back. Things didn't turn out so well for me but I see you've made a great name for yourself."
    At that moment, Zee rushes in and hugs her brother tight. Happy that she still has a family to care about.

See. It's consistent with Zee's story and much better than how Geoff Johns introduced him where he's like -
    "I'm Zachary Zatara. I don't know why my cousin never mentioned me even once".

I would love to see Zach hangout with Zee in JLD. He's a big part of her life.
    RCO034_1468906951.jpg
    Yeah I liked Zachary. It was cool that they gave Zee someone in her family/supporting cast that decoupled her from Constantine, if only by having another significant relationship not on the Justice League. Now that Constantine is in the DCU, Zee loses her quality as being one of the few characters to commute between Vertigo and DC proper so I just see nothing good from that relationship anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah I liked Zachary. It was cool that they gave Zee someone in her family/supporting cast that decoupled her from Constantine, if only by having another significant relationship not on the Justice League. Now that Constantine is in the DCU, Zee loses her quality as being one of the few characters to commute between Vertigo and DC proper so I just see nothing good from that relationship anymore.
    I like them working together but i don't like them together. Constantine has a reputation of being a bad boy so anything between them will never work out.
    But still I like it when they are shown to care for each other.

Where have those days gone.jpg
    Houdini's key.jpg

The New JLD actually handled the two characters better this time. It doesn't feel like Zee is some supporting character to Constantine.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 12-29-2020 at 09:39 AM.

No Justice #3, this might be the best Zee costume:
    Justice-League-No-Justice-3-Cover.jpg

No Justice #3, this might be the best Zee costume:
    Justice-League-No-Justice-3-Cover.jpg
    This wouldn't make a bad JLD team either.