View Poll Results: Who are some of your fav New Mutants?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dani Moonstar

163 61.28%
  • Sunspot

124 46.62%
  • Magik

181 68.05%
    85 31.95%
  • Cannonball

99 37.22%
  • Wolfsbane

83 31.20%
  • Cypher

74 27.82%
  • Warlock

54 20.30%
  • Magma

59 22.18%
  • Boom-Boom

61 22.93%
  • Rictor

73 27.44%
  • Blink

41 15.41%
  • Strong Guy

18 6.77%
  • Rusty

16 6.02%
  • Skids

29 10.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 68 of 79 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1171
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He doesnt too often bc it was a dumb addition but he's been able to for 20 years

The last time we saw him fly was in the ResurrXion Weapon X book

I always found it weird how this group randomly got flight powers. Warpath, Magma, Sunspot.
    Warpath original power was just superstrength and endurance, the same power as his brother.

All these additional powers of flight and heightened senses were just added by later writers to make him more powerful.

It's the same with Doug's additional power of body-language and ability to detect weak architectural points but were sadly ignored by Hickman obviously.

Magma flying makes more sense than Warpath because the mechanics work the same way as the Human Torch. Hot air is lighter, he is able to fly by providing thrust behind himself with his own flame.

Both Sunspot and Warpath shouldn't be able to fly based on physics. Storm flew using her winds, Angel flew with her wings... Hulk can only jump.
    Last edited by ericng; 09-16-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Warpath original power was just superstrength and endurance, the same power as his brother.

All these additional powers of flight and heightened senses were just added by later writers to make him more powerful.

It's the same with Doug's additional power of body-language and ability to detect weak architectural points but were sadly ignored by Hickman obviously.

Magma flying makes more sense than Warpath because the mechanics work the same way as the Human Torch. Hot air is lighter, he is able to fly by providing thrust behind himself with his own flame.

Both Sunspot and Warpath shouldn't be able to fly based on physics. Storm flew using her winds, Angel flew with her wings... Hulk can only jump.
    Why not Sunspot? He has energy powers it makes sense.

...has he ignored those elements of Doug?

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Why not Sunspot? He has energy powers it makes sense.
    Yeah, Roberto works like Sunfire or Human Torch; hotter air rises\rocket thrust. Magma work if you think of it as her geokinetically manipulating her own magmaform through the air. James developing flight is the only head scratcher. Most writers don't use it, though.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    ...has he ignored those elements of Doug?
    Yes, he has. There are many situations that I can think of that he can use those powers.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Yeah, Roberto works like Sunfire or Human Torch; hotter air rises\rocket thrust. Magma work if you think of it as her geokinetically manipulating her own magmaform through the air. James developing flight is the only head scratcher. Most writers don't use it, though.
    I'm not sure about that. Roberto absorbs solar energy and convert them into strength, they are not fire power like Magma or Sunfire.

It's just like Scott absorbing solar energy into his optic blasts and Havok absorbing cosmic energy. Both of them can't fly for sure cos you can't defy the laws of physics.

No matter how great Warpath's strength is, he shouldn't be able to fly. I am sure his strength is not greater than the Hulk who can only jump.
    Last edited by ericng; 09-17-2020 at 05:05 AM.

Fantastic Member

It's just like Scott absorbing solar energy into his optic blasts and Havok absorbing cosmic energy. Both of them can't fly for sure cos you can't defy the laws of physics.
    Neither can fly yet, but with the right writer anything is possible.

Magma's flying is a result of one artist getting it wrong and subsequent ones following suit. Your explanation isnt one thats ever been written in a book. Most of the time her flying isnt even acknowledged in the writing; its purely the art

I'm not sure about that. Roberto absorbs solar energy and convert them into strength, they are not fire power like Magma or Sunfire.

No matter how great Warpath's strength is, he shouldn't be able to fly. I am sure his strength is not greater than the Hulk who can only jump.
    Roberto definitely started as a solar energy to strength mutant, but all the way in the early 90's had a storyline with Gideon and Reignfire that essentially magnified his power to the extent that not only is the solar power just channeled into immense physical strength, but also energy blasts, a measure of invulnerability, and flight.

I mean, even as a kid, he did give off a glowing, Kirby krackle energy field, so it basically makes sense. In his Avengers run, he was becoming quite powerful. He's matured into a Superman style powerset. At one point it was said that his powers were killing him, and wore some type of regulator to suppress them, but in a particular scene he disabled it and claimed to be the most powerful mutant on earth, and was up there with Thor moving the planet or something to that effect.

I do agree about James, though. It came out of nowhere at the end of the OG X-Force Ellis run. I mean, did he sprout tk overnight? To be fair Monet has a strange spread of powers, but she was like that from the start.

Sunspot first flew in X-Force 28

Mighty Member

Cypher missing from December solicitations is worrying.

I guess he could be one of the casualties in X of Swords along with Betsy because Betsy is also missing in the team line-up.
    Last edited by ericng; 09-17-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Magma's flying is a result of one artist getting it wrong and subsequent ones following suit. Your explanation isnt one thats ever been written in a book. Most of the time her flying isnt even acknowledged in the writing; its purely the art
    The official fandom site didn't state Magma as having flight power but Sunspot has his flight power.

https://x-men.fandom.com/wiki/Magma

https://x-men.fandom.com/wiki/Sunspot

It really depends on how the later writers ignore or admit their additional powers.

The official fandom site didn't state Magma as having flight power but Sunspot has his flight power.

https://x-men.fandom.com/wiki/Magma

https://x-men.fandom.com/wiki/Sunspot

It really depends on how the later writers ignore or admit their additional powers.
    Those fan edited Wiki pages are not official. Im going by the books. Its canon now that Magma can fly even its not a good development. She was doing it as recently as the current NM series

Magma is essentially geokinetic, she is mentally connected to earth and magma, and can cause it to move according to the her will. She also transforms into magma. Why not then have mental control of her magmaform's movement(flight)?

Mighty Member

I just found out that Vita Ayala is also writing that copycat 'Children of the Atom' series.

The quality is going to drop if one writer writes too many titles at the same time.

So I don't expect his New Mutants run to be more interesting than Brisson's run after he takes over.

I would prefer more seasoned writer like Zeb Wells who is doing a great job in Hellions and the previous New Mutants series under him.

I hope this is not under 'filler writer' like Brisson.
    Last edited by ericng; 09-17-2020 at 09:31 PM.