View Poll Results: Who are some of your fav New Mutants?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dani Moonstar

163 61.28%
  • Sunspot

124 46.62%
  • Magik

181 68.05%
    85 31.95%
  • Cannonball

99 37.22%
  • Wolfsbane

83 31.20%
  • Cypher

74 27.82%
  • Warlock

54 20.30%
  • Magma

59 22.18%
  • Boom-Boom

61 22.93%
  • Rictor

73 27.44%
  • Blink

41 15.41%
  • Strong Guy

18 6.77%
  • Rusty

16 6.02%
  • Skids

29 10.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 48 of 79 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Tessa has a computer mind, her mutant powers are mental whereas Magik's mutant power is teleportation and not mental.
    Magik had psychic shields that prevented the most powerful telepaths on earth from getting any kind of read on her. Xavier and Emma Frost could not read her mind no matter how hard they tried. Karma, even with the Shadow King boosting her powers, had to strain really hard to possess Magik. She succeeded twice, the first time in Asgard with great difficulty, and the second time with Xavier giving her a power boost.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Tessa has a computer mind, her mutant powers are mental whereas Magik's mutant power is teleportation and not mental.

By the way, I found a great shot of her when she was part of the big boys. I wish we could have as good an artist like this for our current New Mutants.

The computer mind is a retcon that Claremont added when he made her Sage which was not the case when that issue was written. Tessa was merely a very weak telepath.

Magik's power may be teleportation but bc of her time in Limbo and demonic influence as the Darkchylde, she is highly resistant to telepathy. Xavier was not able to breach her mind yet Karma could. She being able to do something that Xavier could not is a feat

Actually Magik's Psychic Shields feats are just good against mind reading and probing.

Not against Psi Bolts:

Emma psychic scream affected her

Xavier jnr made her attack other X-Men

Xavier jnr masked himself from her

The Stepford Cuckoos had her on the ground in pain

Rachel Grey one shotted her with telepathy

Xorna made her almost kill herself

Legion made her Forget magic

Karma affected her while lashing out with her powers

Emma fooled her with a illusion of cyclops dying

She also didn't see through the planetary broadcast of an illusion of Cyclops

The only one that has context is Emma making her forget that Emma exists in Uncanny X-Men.

All this is modern day Magik (Magik 2.0 as Warlock called her). Her TP defenses are abysmal.

But even if you want to give her classic Magik feats, classic Magik was also possessed by Karma, and her claim to fame is Xavier saying he can't get past her mind shields, when all he said is that he doesn't care.
    Last edited by Cruelrain; 06-16-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Cypher !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Actually Magik's Psychic Shields feats are just good against mind reading and probing.

Not against Psi Bolts:

The only one that has context is Emma making her forget that Emma exists in Uncanny X-Men.

All this is modern day Magik (Magik 2.0 as Warlock called her). Her TP defenses are abysmal.

But even if you want to give her classic Magik feats, classic Magik was also possessed by Karma, and her claim to fame is Xavier saying he can't get past her mind shields, when all he said is that he doesn't care.
    She's resistant, not immune and she is also resistant towards possession

Karma tried to take posession of OG Magik and had trouble. Ultmately Magik overpowered her. Karma was able to posess her to forget coming to the future but that was bc Illyana put down her guards and didnt resist. Karma was able to possess her in NM 51 bc she caught her off guard. If they had been fighting, I dont think it would have been as easy for her

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post

Not against Psi Bolts:

Some of those are inaccurate and others open to interpretation. For instance Xorna could very well have just been using telekenisis to make her try to kill herself, and if she was using tk, then Magik succeeded in resisting and breaking free.

Modern writers have ignored the psi-shields, but in the 80s they were a major plot point. Xavier said he didn't care once when he was under the effect of the Brood Queen's control and in mourning because he thought the X-Men were dead. "Illyana's thoughts are protected by an extraordinarily powerful and sophisticated psyionic shield ... I ought to investigate, find a way to pierce that barrier, but I no longer care enough to make the attempt. All I want is to be left alone." But it certainly did not end there/

About a year later, when he did care and was investigating what happened to Illyana as hard as he could, he said: "Illyana'as mind is closed to me. Try as I might, I cannot penetrate the barriers she places around her thoughts."

Emma Frost had the same problem. 'I've planted an image in Danielle's mind, but the Rasputin girl's is closed to me." "Your mind is closed to me, but it is obvious from the other's thoughts that something is seriously amiss.'

When she temporarily lost her demon side, Xavier was surprised that he could read her mind, and then when she took the power back, he could no longer read her thoughts and had no idea what she was going to do next.

Empath's powers also didn't work at all on her, a point which was emphasized multiple times.

It's an aspect of her powerset which has been forgotten and ignored in recent years, but in the 80s, if you could do anything to her on a psychic level it was a tremendous feat. The 'no-prize' answer is that she figured out how to turn the psy-shields off and keeps them off as a rule because of the trust issues she's built up. She did succeed in hiding her true intentions from Emma even though she invited Emma int her mind in the 2009 series.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It's an aspect of her powerset which has been forgotten and ignored in recent years, but in the 80s, if you could do anything to her on a psychic level it was a tremendous feat. The 'no-prize' answer is that she figured out how to turn the psy-shields off and keeps them off as a rule because of the trust issues she's built up. She did succeed in hiding her true intentions from Emma even though she invited Emma int her mind in the 2009 series.
    That doesnt make sense though when she is in combat

Extraordinary Member

New Mutants Truth or Death has pretty much been retconned out of continuity. The Zeb Wells series established that the OG Magik and the little girl who died of the Legacy Virus were not the same person but alternate versions.

Even when Truth or Death came out it had a bunch of continuity problems. In the page above Karma says she was gone when Illyana returned from Limbo, except Illyana returned from Limbo before Karma and Xavier even met and before the New Mutants were formed. Then when she says 'I don't think I or anyone can control her' she's forgetting that she did succeed in controlling Magik several times beforehand, plus she'd seen what Magik's mind was like before. None of that should have been a surprise.

New Mutants Truth or Death has pretty much been retconned out of continuity. The Zeb Wells series established that the OG Magik and the little girl who died of the Legacy Virus were not the same person but alternate versions.

Even when Truth or Death came out it had a bunch of continuity problems. In the page above Karma says she was gone when Illyana returned from Limbo, except Illyana returned from Limbo before Karma and Xavier even met and before the New Mutants were formed. Then when she says 'I don't think I or anyone can control her' she's forgetting that she did succeed in controlling Magik several times beforehand, plus she'd seen what Magik's mind was like before. None of that should have been a surprise.
    That was always the case though, or at least that was my interpretation as Louise Simonson left the conclusion to her arc in Inferno vague. The way I looked at it when I read the story is that the OG Magik that was in NM v1 sacrificed herself to save everyone from Limbo spilling into the world. The little girl they found was an alternate version of her, one before Belasco was able to raise her. The end of that story resulted in said girl being given a chance at the life she would have had had that not happened

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That was always the case though, or at least that was my interpretation as Louise Simonson left the conclusion to her arc in Inferno vague. The way I looked at it when I read the story is that the OG Magik that was in NM v1 sacrificed herself to save everyone from Limbo spilling into the world. The little girl they found was an alternate version of her, one before Belasco was able to raise her. The end of that story resulted in said girl being given a chance at the life she would have had had that not happened
    That was Simonsen's intention. Truth or Dare was an attempt to retcon that so that Magik could never return and its retcon has since been retconned back,

That was Simonsen's intention. Truth or Dare was an attempt to retcon that so that Magik could never return and its retcon has since been retconned back,
    I doubt that was the intent and nothing in that book made it such that Magik could never return, especially by the fact that she is back

Extraordinary Member

I doubt that was the intent and nothing in that book made it such that Magik could never return, especially by the fact that she is back
    In the 90s there was an editorial push against magical elements and aliens in X-Men comics from Bob Harris. Harris and his mandates were one of the big reasons Claremont left in 91.

Every editorial mandate is temporary and lasts until a new editor is put in charge, DC had an editorial mandate against bringing back the original Supergirl for nearly 20 years and the continuity was designed in such a way that it would have been impossible even if they had wanted to do it. Then a new group of editors appeared, Superman's origins were retconned to all hell, and she was back.

In the 90s there was an editorial push against magical elements and aliens in X-Men comics from Bob Harris. Harris and his mandates were one of the big reasons Claremont left in 91.

Every editorial mandate is temporary and lasts until a new editor is put in charge, DC had an editorial mandate against bringing back the original Supergirl for nearly 20 years and the continuity was designed in such a way that it would have been impossible even if they had wanted to do it. Then a new group of editors appeared, Superman's origins were retconned to all hell, and she was back.
    I get what you are saying but Illyana was already dead. All ToD did was shed light into what led to her death. It was unnecessary but nothing about that made her death more definitive that she couldnt be brought back

Speaking of which, I wonder if she can be brought back via the Resurrection Protocols if she were to die in the current era. With her resistance to telepathy, I wonder if Xavier has been able to make backups of her and if so does he have to work one on one with her to do so, bc it may not be a passive process like it is with everyone else

Mighty Member

New Mutants Truth or Death has pretty much been retconned out of continuity. .

Then when she says 'I don't think I or anyone can control her' she's forgetting that she did succeed in controlling Magik several times beforehand, plus she'd seen what Magik's mind was like before. None of that should have been a surprise.
    The writer of Truth and Dare didn't do his homework and not bcos Karma forgot.

Karma had possessed the evil version of Magik before in the Asgardian Wars (Chris Claremont) and maybe other issues which I can't remember.

It's not the first time she felt the evil side of Magik.

Last edited by ericng; 06-16-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Mighty Member

The computer mind is a retcon that Claremont added when he made her Sage which was not the case when that issue was written. Tessa was merely a very weak telepath.

Magik's power may be teleportation but bc of her time in Limbo and demonic influence as the Darkchylde, she is highly resistant to telepathy. Xavier was not able to breach her mind yet Karma could. She being able to do something that Xavier could not is a feat
    Sage original power was to be a computer mind for the Black King Shaw. Everytime Shaw ask her a question, she could recall the facts with every detail. She can remember everything she read.

From Wiki: Sage is a mutant whose mind works in the same way as a supercomputer. Her mind has unlimited storage capacity, and she is able to immediately recall any information she has stored with perfect clarity. The speed of her thoughts allows her to analyze her surroundings for information in an instant, and track the probability of an event by piecing together stored and acquired data.

I don't know which subsequent writer gave her extra powers later on because a computer mind isn't useful.