View Poll Results: Who are some of your fav New Mutants?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dani Moonstar

163 61.28%
  • Sunspot

124 46.62%
  • Magik

181 68.05%
    85 31.95%
  • Cannonball

99 37.22%
  • Wolfsbane

83 31.20%
  • Cypher

74 27.82%
  • Warlock

54 20.30%
  • Magma

59 22.18%
  • Boom-Boom

61 22.93%
  • Rictor

73 27.44%
  • Blink

41 15.41%
  • Strong Guy

18 6.77%
  • Rusty

16 6.02%
  • Skids

29 10.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    What disability does Scott have that relates to the real world?
    I've seen some Scott fans who consider the head injury that prevents him from controlling his powers to be a traumatic brain injury. I don't think it quite fits.

Not a fan of Doug being an expert fighter, not every character needs to be a badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I've seen some Scott fans who consider the head injury that prevents him from controlling his powers to be a traumatic brain injury. I don't think it quite fits.

Not a fan of Doug being an expert fighter, not every character needs to be a badass.
    Personally, I more so enjoy the dodging aspect of his body reading than the actually execution of fight maneuvers.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    I think it's to distinguish her from other Asian X-Man like Armor but Karma already has her signature purple aura and band around her head.

So there's no excuse for not giving her leg back when you have omega healers there.
    Again: disability representation

lol maybe karma likes her robo leg . did anyone ask her? I'd love it if I were her its sick

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    Karma likes her robo leg, she can upgrade it with a margarita maker and throw it over dinner tables when hoes say shes fake while screaming "THE ONLY FAKE THING ABOUT MYSELF IS THIS"
    e x a c t l y

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    What's potentially interesting is if his mutant power isn't just to *read* any language, but to communicate in any language. I have no idea if this is the case (I don't remember if he can traditionally speak an unfamiliar language, and not just understand it when it's spoken), but if this is the case, his new capacity to 'read body language' could be expressed as also the ability to *lie* in body language, as in to send all sorts of false tells to a trained martial artist, so that they are trying to block attacks that he's totally not doing, and leaving them wide open to attacks that they never saw coming, for all their superior training, experience or ability.

If he could do something like this, he'd be super-frustrating to fight, for any experienced or veteran warrior, even in a style or weapon technique he's literally never seen before, as his 'stance is a lie.' They'd find out that they have a better chance fighting him *with their eyes closed!*

In some alternate universe, there's a new Swordsman. His style is strange, he almost seems untrained, and yet he's unbeatable, nearly impossible to hit, or to block his own attacks, even though he moves with merely human speed and strength, and sometimes seems utterly unfamiliar with standard techniques of swordsmanship. Eventually he'll take his mask off, and be revealed as Doug Ramsey!
    this is a glorious writeup. I just love any kind of experimentation on the side of the writers w/ characters power sets ... like yas push limits and try new things its what you're here to do!
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 04-08-2020 at 12:36 PM.

I really dont get why people complain about it so much bc it hasnt really changed anything about her. Its not like Barbera Gordon being crippled and forced into a wheelchair which killed her career as Batgirl (until she was healed). Karma with a prosthetic leg = Karma with a flesh leg. She is written the same. The only thing she gained was a visual

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    What ELSE would it be considered?
    A head injury that prevents him from controlling bodily function. It’s just leveled up to Xth (mutant) degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I really dont get why people complain about it so much bc it hasnt really changed anything about her. Its not like Barbera Gordon being crippled and forced into a wheelchair which killed her career as Batgirl (until she was healed). Karma with a prosthetic leg = Karma with a flesh leg. She is written the same. The only thing she gained was a visual
    Seriously. How many SOLO covers did Xian have before her “body modification”. The last time she was this visually prominent was when she was morbidly obese (thanks Farouk!)....

Mighty Member

Disabilities are both visible and invisible. Heck some mutations can be seen as a metaphor for disabilities. I think some of the issues that folks have with karma is that her leg is so not as streamlined and nice looking as it could be.. Like folks love Misty Knight and she has a bionic arm.

To be fair Misty has almost always had a bionic arm since early on in her creation. Most people only know her with it whereas most people can remember a time when Karma didnt have the metal leg as its a more recent development. I think people are more adverse to change than anything. I dont think those same people would all of a sudden be for it if the artists made it prettier

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    What's potentially interesting is if his mutant power isn't just to *read* any language, but to communicate in any language. I have no idea if this is the case (I don't remember if he can traditionally speak an unfamiliar language, and not just understand it when it's spoken), but if this is the case, his new capacity to 'read body language' could be expressed as also the ability to *lie* in body language, as in to send all sorts of false tells to a trained martial artist, so that they are trying to block attacks that he's totally not doing, and leaving them wide open to attacks that they never saw coming, for all their superior training, experience or ability.

Yes,he can speak in foreign languages, how else could he communicate with Warlock (when they first met), Sidri, Krakoa ? He can even speak in computer code as shown in Zeb Wells run.

I don't know whether this counts for being able to speak 'animal' language as well.

1_18XKRfMlkz_NDgFJVgmnbA.jpg
    Last edited by ericng; 04-08-2020 at 10:51 PM.

My understanding was that, like learning any language, he needed to first have a sample of it? Like, he doesn't just get introduced to someone who speaks Russian and immediately start speaking Russian. He hears them, hyper processes their syntax, inflection, present/past/future tense, etc. and BLAMMO, his astounding mutant tongue does the walking from there. haha.
    Same with navigating and maneuvering computer systems. He fiddles, his brain hyper processes, and then his astounding mutant fingers tickle that keyboard and BLAMMO -- that computer lurvs him as much as I do.

Also: That Astonishing cover with Karma adjusting her leg is GORGEOUS

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    My understanding was that, like learning any language, he needed to first have a sample of it? Like, he doesn't just get introduced to someone who speaks Russian and immediately start speaking Russian. He hears them, hyper processes their syntax, inflection, present/past/future tense, etc. and BLAMMO, his astounding mutant tongue does the walking from there. haha.
    Yes, he needs to hear a few samples first but his mutant ability allows him to learn the language within minutes (instead of months or years like most of us) without being actively taught by a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    Karma likes her robo leg, she can upgrade it with a margarita maker and throw it over dinner tables when hoes say shes fake while screaming "THE ONLY FAKE THING ABOUT MYSELF IS THIS"
    YAAAAAS!!!Hunty!!!
    I wasn't even feeling get robo leg...but totally down for her to keep it only for the potential to see this scene!!!
    You've successfully changed my mind...LMAO
    GrindrStone(D)

newmutants-era02.jpg

I'd love to see these looks come back for a change. Sometimes all it takes is new media. The pink masks are cool.