View Poll Results: Who are some of your fav New Mutants?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dani Moonstar

163 61.28%
  • Sunspot

124 46.62%
  • Magik

181 68.05%
    85 31.95%
  • Cannonball

99 37.22%
  • Wolfsbane

83 31.20%
  • Cypher

74 27.82%
  • Warlock

54 20.30%
  • Magma

59 22.18%
  • Boom-Boom

61 22.93%
  • Rictor

73 27.44%
  • Blink

41 15.41%
  • Strong Guy

18 6.77%
  • Rusty

16 6.02%
  • Skids

29 10.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 32 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by comicbookfan5878 View Post
    But Louise Simonson basically got rid of all the characters in her run. How does she logically rationalize writing off Magik? She ruined it for us because we lost nearly 20 years of comics to enjoy that character due to her Inferno storyline in which she was taken out of existence with a parallel de-aged version in her place (only to be later killed off by the Legacy Virus...)

Same goes for Mirage. Why did she can her too?

Those two never should have left the books and I can not imagine Claremont ever have writing them off.
    What she did with Magik was one of the better things she did in that run. Inferno was the culmination of Illyana's arc and fit in with what Claremont was doing prior to his exit. Louise killed her off in a way that left it very open for another writer to bring her back. Its not her fault no one picked up on that until 20 years later. Ditto on Doug. She killed him by leaving his death very open ended

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    What she did with Magik was one of the better things she did in that run. Inferno was the culmination of Illyana's arc and fit in with what Claremont was doing prior to his exit. Louise killed her off in a way that left it very open for another writer to bring her back. Its not her fault no one picked up on that until 20 years later. Ditto on Doug. She killed him by leaving his death very open ended
    I’ll give you the Illyana loophole but HOW did Cypher’s death have any openendedness of Simonson’s making? I could see possibly going back to one of Claremont’s dangling threads of Doug having a low grade transmission infection .... and the saying that’s how we got Douglock in the Simonson penned WARLOCK series but other than THAT, Louise Simonson took a whole issue to say “Doug is DEAD and NOT coming back!”

I don't think she deserves any flack for killing off Doug tbh. Fans and creators openly asked for it to happen and she used it to write a damn good story that really impacted the rest of the cast and books for a long while after. If you look in the "most powerful moments in x-history" thread there are so many fantastic and impactful scenes that we got from it. I like that he's back and theres a really good story for him now but his death nonetheless made a lot of sense as a creative decision at the time

Quote Originally Posted by comicbookfan5878 View Post
    But Louise Simonson basically got rid of all the characters in her run. How does she logically rationalize writing off Magik? She ruined it for us because we lost nearly 20 years of comics to enjoy that character due to her Inferno storyline in which she was taken out of existence with a parallel de-aged version in her place (only to be later killed off by the Legacy Virus...)
    Idk if you mean her as in Yana or Simonson but if you mean the latter I'm pretty sure Claremont was in charge of Inferno and Simonson just worked her stories around it. It definitely has more of a Claremontian feel than Simonsonian loll. and if you mean the former I accept my flub lol
    Last edited by houndsofluv; 04-22-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I’ll give you the Illyana loophole but HOW did Cypher’s death have any openendedness of Simonson’s making? I could see possibly going back to one of Claremont’s dangling threads of Doug having a low grade transmission infection .... and the saying that’s how we got Douglock in the Simonson penned WARLOCK series but other than THAT, Louise Simonson took a whole issue to say “Doug is DEAD and NOT coming back!”

Because Doug had increasingly grown reliant on merging with Warlock prior to his death. He was doing this in the Claremont issues. That issue you posted planted the seeds for his resurrection and Louise has referenced this scene from Claremont's last arc when Doug had a premonition of becoming completely infected:

The way Louise envisioned it was that if and when he was brought back, it would be via the transmode virus as Warlock left a piece of it with Doug when he took his body that last time. Marvel halfway went there in the form of Douglock, which could have been the return of Doug, but they didnt commit. Doug would eventually be brought back via the TO over 2 decades later. Louise has done interviews and she didnt think it would take that long for anyone to do this:

Rictor totally swagger jacked Amara’s rightful role as “Mutant attuned to Earth”. Been screaming that since that was revealed as his function in PAD’s X-Factor. He just makes things (((shake)))!

On the AOX looks for the New Mutants aka “Moonstar Cadre”, I think Amara’s was the least interesting and most kinda random looking. But I suppose the scavenged piecemeal look is the look they were gong for overall...

Hnnnn idk Magmas Killin it in this scans looking thicc and fit
    Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    Magma easily has the best look there. Especially when her hair's more subdued and molten in the second pic. Dani's costume is a pretty close second. I need the whole gang to get updated looks in DOX yesterday!!
    I think karma's look is superb it slides easily into her robot leg
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

I'd agree if she didn't regress Magik as a character, retcon her origin, and also fail to pay off on the buildup. Magik was always going to have a sticky end, but having her forget everything she learned in Limbo, making her less mature, rewriting her origin in ways that are impossible given what happened in the Magik: Storm and Illyana mini, making her end a side-story in the Madelyn goes crazy story, and making the villain responsible a one-off new guy rather than her actual nemesis all combined to ruined what should have been one of the best character exits.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I'd agree if she didn't regress Magik as a character, retcon her origin, and also fail to pay off on the buildup. Magik was always going to have a sticky end, but having her forget everything she learned in Limbo, making her less mature, rewriting her origin in ways that are impossible given what happened in the Magik: Storm and Illyana mini, making her end a side-story in the Madelyn goes crazy story, and making the villain responsible a one-off new guy rather than her actual nemesis all combined to ruined what should have been one of the best character exits.
    Are you referring to Sy'm /N'astrith?

Also any idea why she got rid of Dani?
    GrindrStone(D)

oooh I just love love Purple ECLIPSE Berto.
    I wish that name had stuck, post De-Legionization.

Ariel was on Judge Judy today.

A88DA2D9-825D-4A63-AA64-6CCACA2FA642.jpg

If you had to rank the top 5 most powerful New Mutants, who would be on that list? I would say

1. Magik
    2. Sunspot
    3. Magma
    4. Karma
    5. Rictor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Are you referring to Sy'm /N'astrith?

Also any idea why she got rid of Dani?
    N'astrith. S'ym was at least around since the start, but he's the big tough stupid one, the type that serves the main villain instead of being the main villain. N'Astrith should have been Belasco. The threat of Belasco returning loomed over her from the moment she first returned from Limbo, and he was the only villain who could bring her story full circle.

According to Simonsen she tortured and got rid of her favorites, which is a weird thing to do to your favorite characters.

Ultimate Member

N'astrith. S'ym was at least around since the start, but he's the big tough stupid one, the type that serves the main villain instead of being the main villain. N'Astrith should have been Belasco. The threat of Belasco returning loomed over her from the moment she first returned from Limbo, and he was the only villain who could bring her story full circle.

According to Simonsen she tortured and got rid of her favorites, which is a weird thing to do to your favorite characters.
    Well, torturing your faves is to be expected. A good writer is the worst enemy of their characters

Yeah now that you mention it it is Weird he wasn't involved....any clue as to where he was?
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Magma moving subterraneanly is MUCH preferred to her inexplicably flying.
    Hard agree. I wish Marvel would make more of an effort to differentiate between all of their characters with heat/fire powersets. Even within the mutant community alone there's Firefist, Firestar, Magma, Match, Pyro, Pyro II, Sunfire, Sunpyre etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Magma and Mirage have the best costumes it’s just factssss

I like Karma’s look but it definitely needs some color which probably defeats the whole purpose of the fit. or at least with some purple accents.
    I'd probably simplify elements of Dani's look, but I'm all for warpaint, the bandanna and some light armor. As for Xi'an, I'd just add some pink or purple accents, maybe some swirling patterns or something that mirrors her psychic signature would be neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    oooh I just love love Purple ECLIPSE Berto.
    I wish that name had stuck, post De-Legionization.
    Citizen X from Avengers didn't stick (thank goodness) but Eclipse is a huge upgrade. Have him adopt that codename and then date Monet, who needs to keep the Penance codename. Oh, and let Berto get a secondary mutation that lets him absorb lunar energy, so he can switch back and forth between the two forms. That'd be rad

If you had to rank the top 5 most powerful New Mutants, who would be on that list? I would say

1. Magik
    2. Sunspot
    3. Magma
    4. Karma
    5. Rictor
    Are you only talking about the members from the first series? Would you include the early X-Force members who technically joined in the last issue? What about X-Man and Blink? Or Mondo and Chamber?

If you're just talking about these guys:
    NM-Karma-004.jpg

Then I rank them like this --lowest to highest-- (excluding Professor X, Magneto and Cable):

17: Cypher
    16: Feral
    15: Skids
    14: Rusty
    13: Wolfbane
    12: Copycat [Domino] (She could go all the way up to number 3 because she can copy the genetic code of people, giving her the ability to gain their powers)
    11: Karma
    10: Boom Boom
    09: Shatterstar (if he could continually use his Concussive shockwave and teleportation powers, he'd be higher)
    08: Moonstar
    07: Rictor
    06: Cannonball
    05: Warpath (around his time with Pete Wisdom)
    04: Sunspot (if he had greater durability, he would be higher)
    03: Magma
    02: Warlock (he could be number one, if he accepted his role and be like daddy)
    01: Magik (being a "hell" Lord is major)

** Now if you count Xman and Blink, they would take the third and fourth spot respectfully. Chamber would be around Tab and Shatter, while Mondo would be around James and Bobby.

Last edited by Alphaxman; 04-24-2020 at 06:14 AM.