Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

True. I feel like friendships for Rogue always take a back-seat to her relationships and angst. Even during the 80s when she wasn't thinking too much about boys, outside of Longshot, she was usually reflecting on her powers or fighting with one of the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    True. I feel like friendships for Rogue always take a back-seat to her relationships and angst. Even during the 80s when she wasn't thinking too much about boys, outside of Longshot, she was usually reflecting on her powers or fighting with one of the girls.
    And most of the time she socialized in the 80's, it was the Carol personality because they liked her better (no idea why).

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    And most of the time she socialized in the 80's, it was the Carol personality because they liked her better (no idea why).
    lol

I guess I kinda understand that one. Rogue was the youngest member of the 80s team wasn't she? She was only around eighteen at the time. Betsy and Storm were a lot older than she was and they saw Rogue as the aggressor in the situation with Carol, so they sided more with the Carol personality.

In the end though it reads sort of badly because it's not really Carol at all, just a figment of her that ends up turning feral and trying to take over Rogue's body. I feel like that's something Rogue should bring up one day and maybe one of the reasons she's never gotten too close emotionally to the X-Women. I feel like something like that would sting, that they chose a shadow over a young girl that was trying to do right at the time and gain their trust.

lol

I guess I kinda understand that one. Rogue was the youngest member of the 80s team wasn't she? She was only around eighteen at the time. Betsy and Storm were a lot older than she was and they saw Rogue as the aggressor in the situation with Carol, so they sided more with the Carol personality.

In the end though it reads sort of badly because it's not really Carol at all, just a figment of her that ends up turning feral and trying to take over Rogue's body. I feel like that's something Rogue should bring up one day and maybe one of the reasons she's never gotten too close emotionally to the X-Women. I feel like something like that would sting, that they chose a shadow over a young girl that was trying to do right at the time and gain their trust.
    That's an interesting way of looking at it. This is one of the things about Rogue I would love to see explored more. She was once upon a time a teenage girl manipulated by her terrorist parents into doing unthinkable things, and she was able to overcome that and atone.

lol

I think the animosity between Betsy and Rogue in the '80s had nothing to do with Carol. The friction started before Carol's persona came to the surface. I think it was all about CLASS. Betsy was an English aristocrat and Rogue was nothing but a hick from the sticks "Ruffian", no different than the British Football/soccer hooligans. Rogue's age, I agree, played a role in Betsy's attitude too, since most of the "hooligans" in the 1980's were around Rogue's age. I think Betsy needed someone to look down her nose to and Rogue fits the bill nicely. Betsy never met Carol before Rogue's encounter with her in San Francisco, so, to me, it was nothing more than a rationalization for Betsy to hold Rogue in contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    That's an interesting way of looking at it. This is one of the things about Rogue I would love to see explored more. She was once upon a time a teenage girl manipulated by her terrorist parents into doing unthinkable things, and she was able to overcome that and atone.
    I feel like this would something that would be explored more if we had more down-time issues. Claremont had lots of action and world-building, but he made sure to schedule and pencil in slower issues that explored relationships.

Sadly its very rare for modern writers to do this, as their runs are short and they barely have enough time to get all their plots in as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    I think the animosity between Betsy and Rogue in the '80s had nothing to do with Carol. The friction started before Carol's persona came to the surface. I think it was all about CLASS. Betsy was an English aristocrat and Rogue was nothing but a hick from the sticks "Ruffian", no different than the British Football/soccer hooligans. Rogue's age, I agree, played a role in Betsy's attitude too, since most of the "hooligans" in the 1980's were around Rogue's age. I think Betsy needed someone to look down her nose to and Rogue fits the bill nicely. Betsy never met Carol before Rogue's encounter with her in San Francisco, so, to me, it was nothing more than a rationalization for Betsy to hold Rogue in contempt.
    Hello mikeb!

And I generally agree, I'm not saying Betsy really had much of a connection with Carol at all, just that due to her age and perceptions of Rogue; it was an easy justification for Betsy's harshness at times. I do think that Betsy also did get along better with Carols personality, we saw her hanging out with the Carol persona on several occasions iirc. So there was something there, a bit it was fabricated since it's not even a real person so much as a memory of a person lol.

I find it a bit weird how the Carol persona sticks up for Rogue here but then later tries to kill her in the Savage Land. What changed?

She voices some frustrations but it's huge leap from this to "I'm gonna murder you lol bye".

The Carol persona got so fleshed out during the 80s. Meanwhile Sunfire and Wonder Man's permanent absorption were treated as afterthoughts, as a means to an end instead of a way of exploring a characters insecurities or dual identities. I think that's kinda sad, it would've been very interesting to see Rogue handle or experience things through a male (presumably straight) personality.

Despite most of her heart to hearts happening with 'Carol', I do find Rogue's relationship with Betsy interesting.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 10-28-2020 at 01:16 PM.

I feel like this would something that would be explored more if we had more down-time issues. Claremont had lots of action and world-building, but he made sure to schedule and pencil in slower issues that explored relationships.

Sadly its very rare for modern writers to do this, as their runs are short and they barely have enough time to get all their plots in as it is.

Hello mikeb!

And I generally agree, I'm not saying Betsy really had much of a connection with Carol at all, just that due to her age and perceptions of Rogue; it was an easy justification for Betsy's harshness at times. I do think that Betsy also did get along better with Carols personality, we saw her hanging out with the Carol persona on several occasions iirc. So there was something there, a bit it was fabricated since it's not even a real person so much as a memory of a person lol.

I find it a bit weird how the Carol persona sticks up for Rogue here but then later tries to kill her in the Savage Land. What changed?

She voices some frustrations but it's huge leap from this to "I'm gonna murder you lol bye".

The Carol persona got so fleshed out during the 80s. Meanwhile Sunfire and Wonder Man's permanent absorption were treated as afterthoughts, as a means to an end instead of a way of exploring a characters insecurities or dual identities. I think that's kinda sad, it would've been very interesting to see Rogue handle or experience things through a male (presumably straight) personality.

Despite most of her heart to hearts happening with 'Carol', I do find Rogue's relationship with Betsy interesting.
    What changed was the Shadow King's influence. Carol tried to get to Rogue for her to absorb her again and Rogue bolted. She ended up on Muir, which was Shadow King central at the time, and gets possessed. Then travels to the Savage Land and the rest is history.
    Also, at the time they emerged from the Siege Perilous, there wasn't enough energy to sustain them both. So one was healthy and the other was rotting away.
    Last edited by seccruz; 10-28-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    What changed was the Shadow King's influence. Carol tried to get to Rogue for her to absorb her again and Rogue bolted. She ended up on Muir, which was Shadow King central at the time, and gets possessed. Then travels to the Savage Land and the rest is history.
    Also, at the time they emerged from the Siege Perilous, there wasn't enough energy to sustain them both. So one was healthy and the other was rotting away.
    Wait the Carol persona tried to get Rogue to absorb the real Carol absorbed again? I need to reread my issues again lol. Anyway so the SK corrupted the Carol persona? Huh.

I was kinda sad to see it go, it was a long drawn out plot but somewhat interesting.

Wait the Carol persona tried to get Rogue to absorb the real Carol absorbed again? I need to reread my issues again lol. Anyway so the SK corrupted the Carol persona? Huh.

I was kinda sad to see it go, it was a long drawn out plot but somewhat interesting.
    No, just the persona again.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Off topic, but a great legend of cinema has just died today

May Sean Connery rest in peace

Just re-read the first X-Men/Alpha Flight crossover and I miss the friendship between Rogue and Northstar even more
    So much chemistry in just two issues. I would love for Leah Williams to do something with these two. After all, she has affection for both characters and is currently writing Northstar. It would be such a good opportunity

Can someone explain to me what Rogue’s powers are currently like?

Quote Originally Posted by XForever View Post
    Can someone explain to me what Rogue’s powers are currently like?
    Regarding her mutation : she regained control of her powers in Mr & Mrs X, and Xandra Neramani "fixed" her mutation, now allowing her to use her powers without resorting to body contact

Regarding the absorbed powers : she permanently possesses those of Wonder Man

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Regarding her mutation : she regained control of her powers in Mr & Mrs X, and Xandra Neramani "fixed" her mutation, now allowing her to use her powers without resorting to body contact

Regarding the absorbed powers : she permanently possesses those of Wonder Man
    So she can use her absorption power at will now? That better not get retconned again.

I don’t get why some people are saying she lost Wonder Man’s abilities when she appears to still have them.🤔