Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The future of Jeopardy!

I apologize if there already is a thread related to this.

I realize Jeopardy! the game show has little to do with comics TV and Film, although if you know your comics TV and Film trivia, you'd do well on Jeopardy.

But having just watched the ABC special on the behind-the-scenes stuff of the show, and Trebek's fight with cancer, and the upcoming battle of mega champs, I felt a Jeopardy thread was a good thing to start.

So, my fellow contestants, how do you feel about Trebek's eventual departure? Who could possibly replace him? What are some of your favorite moments? Will young Jeopardy James beat the older mega champs?

Try to phrase your responses in the form of answers.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

The perfect person already exists, but would never take the job. 'Who is Stephen Fry'
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    The perfect person already exists, but would never take the job. 'Who is Stephen Fry'
    Stephen Fry would be very good. I think you definitely need to find someone who is a bit erudite with a slight twinge of arrogance, but still possess a fair amount of warmth. That's a really hard balance to strike. Alex mentioned Laura Coates and Ben Mankiewicz, who I think would both be really good. Coates would bring something different, but she's still extremely educated and well spoken like Alex and I've always though Mankiewicz has a very similar energy to Alex.

I remember watching Jeopardy in Middle school with Mr. Taylor the teacher who was in charge of our history club. He had a bet with the students on Final Jeopardy. If the students got the answer right and he did not he bought is each a soda. If he got it right the students who got it wrong would have to buy him a soda. It was a lot of fun.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Honestly, I'm sort of against a noted celeb taking the role. It should be someone no one has ever heard of. Nobody had heard of Trebek when he started, nor Sajak.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I wish Alex could keep going.
    I'll miss him terribly.

I'll stay with the show with either Stephen Fry or Ben Mankiewicz as a host.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

I'm so old I remember when Alex was "the new guy," who took over for Art Fleming.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Honestly, I'm sort of against a noted celeb taking the role. It should be someone no one has ever heard of. Nobody had heard of Trebek when he started, nor Sajak.
    Agreed. The ones mentioned above don't impress me anyway. I don't have a suggestion, either.

Jeff Probst from Survivor. He said a while ago it would be the one show he would leave Survivor for.

No comedians. While the host could have a wry sense of humor, I don't want someone constantly cracking jokes and trying to be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    No comedians. While the host could have a wry sense of humor, I don't want someone constantly cracking jokes and trying to be funny.
    I would't mind a comedian as long as it's someone who can restrain themselves and not treat the podium as a place to workshop their new material.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I apologize if there already is a thread related to this.

I realize Jeopardy! the game show has little to do with comics TV and Film, although if you know your comics TV and Film trivia, you'd do well on Jeopardy.

But having just watched the ABC special on the behind-the-scenes stuff of the show, and Trebek's fight with cancer, and the upcoming battle of mega champs, I felt a Jeopardy thread was a good thing to start.

So, my fellow contestants, how do you feel about Trebek's eventual departure? Who could possibly replace him? What are some of your favorite moments? Will young Jeopardy James beat the older mega champs?

Try to phrase your responses in the form of answers.
    Shouldn't it be please phrase your responses in the form of a question?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Shouldn't it be please phrase your responses in the form of a question?
    Well, yes...if you want to be rewarded money. I'm broke, so just answers. Statements. I suppose rhetorical questions are acceptable responses.

Besides, my OP had questions in it that deserve answers!!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I would't mind a comedian as long as it's someone who can restrain themselves and not treat the podium as a place to workshop their new material.
    Trouble is most these people just can't help themselves. And I would suspect the producers would encourage it. Otherwise what is the point of hiring one?

Amazing Member

I've always wanted to compete on Jeopardy. I haven't been able to study in awhile, but being on that (or some nerdy show like it) has always been a goal of mine. You know, jokes are funny when held in place, but when they're allowed to grow over everything like some overly enthusiastic pipe vine, they ruin the original goal of a show like that.