Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Resurrection: I think it's surprising how many writers who are "fans" of the Phoenix seem to look at it like it's heroin. That instantly turns me off them. I'm tired of the Phoenix being written as if it's an evil being. It isn't. He claims he wanted the story to be about Jean, but even that didn't happen as Jean's bond with people like Storm were ignored so we could get more Wolverine being the hero. An epic space battle also could've happened but this time Shiaar and Avengers could've backed Jean. At the end of that story, the Phoenix and Jean lovingly part ways. No more Phoenix stories for a decade after that. It could've been D'Ken somehow returned to bring the story full circle as well.

XMENRED: Oh gosh! I had no idea he almost had RED. And he doesn't think Jean was ready to lead due to her depression? She was a GOD! Spare me giving her a pity party. Ugh that would've sucked but I guess Cyclops got that story in Uncanny. To think the best X comic we had prior to this year was turned down by Rosenberg is pretty fitting.

His New Mutants and Multiple Man books sucked!

Uncanny: But this is where he really showed his colors. It wasn't even that he was killing off characters, it was that he tarnished their reputations and had them basically acting like committing suicide was the way to go! I still remember Havok happily killing himself to stop a few bad guys? At least that was better than Shinobi killing himself cause reasons? Also I had been enjoying Chamber prior to the run and in that run he has Chamber choose to commit mass murder? ugh! He also proved he can't write any character that isn't a basic white bro. His female characters sucked! His gay characters sucked. His characters of color sucked. Hell even his bro characters like Havoc sucked. He wrote Emma horribly. He'sone of those writers who writes her ridiculously because he knows her fanbase will have no choice but forgive her. Sunspot died pathetically and off screen too. And then there's the Rahne thing...
    Agree.

He just killed people for shock value knowing that the characters will be resurrected later. A very forgettable run, let's forget all about it.

Resurrection: I think it's surprising how many writers who are "fans" of the Phoenix seem to look at it like it's heroin. That instantly turns me off them. I'm tired of the Phoenix being written as if it's an evil being. It isn't. He claims he wanted the story to be about Jean, but even that didn't happen as Jean's bond with people like Storm were ignored so we could get more Wolverine being the hero. An epic space battle also could've happened but this time Shiaar and Avengers could've backed Jean. At the end of that story, the Phoenix and Jean lovingly part ways. No more Phoenix stories for a decade after that. It could've been D'Ken somehow returned to bring the story full circle as well.

XMENRED: Oh gosh! I had no idea he almost had RED. And he doesn't think Jean was ready to lead due to her depression? She was a GOD! Spare me giving her a pity party. Ugh that would've sucked but I guess Cyclops got that story in Uncanny. To think the best X comic we had prior to this year was turned down by Rosenberg is pretty fitting.

Uncanny: But this is where he really showed his colors. It wasn't even that he was killing off characters, it was that he tarnished their reputations and had them basically acting like committing suicide was the way to go! I still remember Havok happily killing himself to stop a few bad guys? At least that was better than Shinobi killing himself cause reasons? Also I had been enjoying Chamber prior to the run and in that run he has Chamber choose to commit mass murder? ugh! He also proved he can't write any character that isn't a basic white bro. His female characters sucked! His gay characters sucked. His characters of color sucked. Hell even his bro characters like Havoc sucked. He wrote Emma horribly. He'sone of those writers who writes her ridiculously because he knows her fanbase will have no choice but forgive her. Sunspot died pathetically and off screen too. And then there's the Rahne thing...
    I agree with this. I think Rosenberg is a very uneven writer. His stories start out well (his first issues) but more often than not there is a lot of filler and then a bad uneven conclusion. Having said this, I do want to state that he has more writing talent than I'd ever have. I'm not a writer and would never profess to be. I don't want to diminish his talent, but I can't say that I enjoy his work from what I've read. A lot of the straight white guys on X-twitter seem to love this guys work and are constantly promoting him. I have theories about that.. I think because they say he's a really nice guy and they have access (on twitter and for their interviews/podcasts). If someone else had handled the Rahne story that mirrored transpanic while on the news about every day we have another story about a trans person being murdered I wonder if they would have been as forgiving? It is impossible to know of course, but I don't get why so many easily defend this dude. I think they see themselves in him but I could be wrong.

Of course the editors who were involved in the story should also be included in the anger. They purposely handled the suicide of Blindfold better than the Rahne brutal murder (included suicide hotline info at back of comic for the Blindfold story).

I will agree that Rosenberg did good with the strong (macho, masculine) voices of Scott and Wolverine. I do not think he did well with the voices of Emma Frost or Jean Grey. I've said the same about Hickman much to the disdain of some posters here.

I tire of Rosenberg's lame use of humor. How many jokes about a man in a bird suit can we take? I think this is what fans on twitter respond to, some fans like a lot of humor in their books. His Uncanny run of course was the opposite as it was very dark. I would need to reread it again, but I've read it twice. I feel that Rosenberg's X-men run is similar in quality to Chuck Austen's X-men run.. Some will like it and others will vehemently detest it.
    Last edited by MechaJeanix; 01-04-2020 at 06:55 AM. Reason: posting without my glasses and barely awake

Truer words have never been spoken. Rosenberg better not ever touch another X-Book in life.

Mighty Member

I agree with this. I think Rosenberg is a very uneven writer. His stories start out well (his first issues) but more often than not there is a lot of filler and then a bad uneven conclusion. Having said this, I do want to state that he has more writing talent than I'd ever have. I'm not a writer and would never profess to be. I don't want to diminish his talent, but I can't say that I enjoy his work from what I've read.
    I think technically he is a good writer, I just don't think he's creative. Lots of white writers (Lena Dunham) only know how to write about THEIR experiences. Those writers are good but to a niche crowd. On the other hand, we have Hickman, who is a good writer AND is creative. He doesn't need to be a black Brazilian male for him to write Sunspot respectably. He doesn't need to be a badass woman like Emma to write her well. He doesn't need to be Egyptian to write Apocalypse well. He doesn't need to be a strong black women to write Monet well. I think the best writers are able to subtly put themselves in the shoes of others and write them believably.

A lot of the straight white guys on X-twitter seem to love this guys work and are constantly promoting him. I have theories about that.. I think because they say he's a really nice guy and they have access (on twitter and for their interviews/podcasts). If someone else had handled the Rahne story that mirrored transpanic while on the news about every day we have another story about a trans person being murdered I wonder if they would have been as forgiving?
    Yes, they would've been as forgiving. I still don't believe they understand why that didn't work. I also don't think they get why fans of females, gay, black Men hate that run either.

From our POV: Ugh, this guys only knows how to write straight white males!
    His POV: I'm so good. I'll probably be loved for being so inclusive!

I will agree that Rosenberg did good with the strong (macho, masculine) voices of Scott and Wolverine.
    Yeah I do agree he handled Cyclops and Wolverine well. Their reunion was awesome.

Just thank you. You voiced what I think of his work, and even better.
    I tried to read his uncanny run, after HoX/PoX... You can imagine it was just horrible in comparison. I hope he will never touch my favs again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post

Not quite. There were some missteps but it was really AvX and the "architects" who dragged it and us down that path. We can thank Aaron for running with it.
    That's not where Pak left off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Pak started it.
    Alan Davis started it, actually, but Aaron’s the biggest offender.

I think technically he is a good writer, I just don't think he's creative. Lots of white writers (Lena Dunham) only know how to write about THEIR experiences. Those writers are good but to a niche crowd. On the other hand, we have Hickman, who is a good writer AND is creative. He doesn't need to be a black Brazilian male for him to write Sunspot respectably. He doesn't need to be a badass woman like Emma to write her well. He doesn't need to be Egyptian to write Apocalypse well. He doesn't need to be a strong black women to write Monet well. I think the best writers are able to subtly put themselves in the shoes of others and write them believably.

Yes, they would've been as forgiving. I still don't believe they understand why that didn't work. I also don't think they get why fans of females, gay, black Men hate that run either.

From our POV: Ugh, this guys only knows how to write straight white males!
    His POV: I'm so good. I'll probably be loved for being so inclusive!

Yeah I do agree he handled Cyclops and Wolverine well. Their reunion was awesome.
    I agree I don't think they get it. It is hard to engage them to try to explain our point of view without being made like we are attacking someone. That itself is problematic when you try to explain something to someone who is of the majority and they turn it around on you and play the victim. I think some of the prominent X-twitter folks feel the need to be protective of Rosenberg ( from lgbt fans who to them must seem radical and who are unforgiving and out to ruin his reputation).

Though I do believe in redemption and forgiveness. He did apologize, but only after the controversy and after being called out.

BANNED

Phoenix Resurrection
    We could get an epic story about wars in space, but we got a story about nothing. Characters went to different places until everything was resolved. WTF?

X-men Red
    Here they(Taylor and Rosenberg) are equally bad.

New Mutants: Dead Souls
    Bruh, I will miss this story. It sounds like a good logical conclusion. Especially when compared with new mutants team in Uncanny .

Multiple Man
    The story is good as it is now

Astonishing X-men
    It's good that they did not continue the story.

Uncanny X-men
    Lol, so many disgruntled people blame Rosenberg. No matter how many issues he had on history(15 or 30). He is guilty as much as the editors are guilty. Hickman needed more time, we got the corresponding story. Of course, Rosenberg could write a story where everyone collects flowers and nothing happens, but then no one would buy that comics.
    Last edited by Sapfiryt; 01-04-2020 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added some notes

Quote Originally Posted by Sapfiryt View Post
    Phoenix Resurrection

Uncanny X-men
    Lol, so many disgruntled people blame Rosenberg. No matter how many issues he had on history(15 or 30). He is guilty as much as the editors are guilty. Hickman needed more time, we got the corresponding story. Of course, Rosenberg could write a story where everyone collects flowers and nothing happens, but then no one would buy that comics.
    Or he could have accomplished the same goal of killing mutants and making things look dark with a story that actually made sense rather than mutants committing suicide for stupid reasons. He also didn't have to go through all the drama of erasing mutants from human minds only to undo it immediately. Why not a night of the sentinels or something where sentinels went mad and were wiping out mutants who were holding fast and trying to work together in a modern days of future past. Days of future present maybe. He didn't need to go the long way around and abuse minority characters as he did on the way to accomplish his goal all for a story that meant absolutely nothing. I'm not the best writer in the world but if someone gave me 15 issues to make things as bad as possible in preparation for a status quo shift the last story i'm thinking about is Emma a slave to a human military guy and the mutants basically killing themselves and each other. But thats just me.

Hell he could have picked up with the naninte sentinels that were supposedly all destroyed in X-men Red and had a mass number of humanity/mutants against their will turn against mutants and start to slaughter them but no he had Emma manipulating a man who has spent almost his entire life being trained by one telepath and in a psychic bond with another and he never picked up on a thing.
    Last edited by jwatson; 01-04-2020 at 08:42 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Rosenberg just has a very limited perspective as a writer and I don’t think it’s one the X-Men ever needed more of. His POV reminds me of a less capable Remender or Matt Fraction even and this just became more apparent the more projects the X-Office put him on.

That said, I did enjoy New Mutants Dark Souls and even much of Phoenix Resurrection (which should’ve just been full blown horror IMO...imagine Bunn getting to play with his horror background and the X-Men in one...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sapfiryt View Post

Uncanny X-men
    Well they asked it to be dark and he delivered. I don't faulty him for that, but the choice of rahne dead was really bad and that is on him

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I agree I don't think they get it. It is hard to engage them to try to explain our point of view without being made like we are attacking someone. That itself is problematic when you try to explain something to someone who is of the majority and they turn it around on you and play the victim. I think some of the prominent X-twitter folks feel the need to be protective of Rosenberg ( from lgbt fans who to them must seem radical and who are unforgiving and out to ruin his reputation).

Though I do believe in redemption and forgiveness. He did apologize, but only after the controversy and after being called out.
    He can find redemption off the X Books haha. But actually, I did like his Astonishing run. My only negative is that it had a lack of diversity but since it was a minor X title, I didn't mind. In Astonishing, he wrote characters within his range of experience and it kinda worked. I also liked how he wrote Magik too, but I think she's an exception.

Well they asked it to be dark and he delivered. I don't faulty him for that, but the choice of rahne dead was really bad and that is on him.
    Even without the offensive Rahne storyline, his time as head writer would still be horrible.

BANNED

Rosenberg’s problems are in the execution rather than the mandate itself. The bleak tone makes complete sense given what came next. The problem is his own sloppiness and, more egregiously, his tone deafness, which has reared its head in other stories as well. He always apologizes but never seems to actually learn.

THANK YOU MATT ROSENBERG!

To think of it, a whole life given to an uncertain and unpromised possibility and when you get there, you really do, and it's the end. It's made impermanent and supperulfous and insecure...oh wow, and it's amazing because you're there without a shield and everything and everybody you meant to have with you and to give this so so perfect thing to...and you know X-Men and you know cannon and you know, it's the comic shop across the street...and it's so gone...it's just so gone...but (behind and ahead and around you) there's amazing, there's Leah Williams and Ed Brisson and Seanan McQuire and Sina Grace and they're all tore up and tearing it up anyway and you can't see who or what they're up against but damn, and wow...so beautiful....and that you have this single moment...everything is failed...it's often from there that best stories start, right...but when it's life and story and all one...it's whoa...so there's this oh f'it I'm here and I'm going to DO MY THING....and you do, so THANK YOU!

Oh and you know what everybody, you know what I really want to do here is to thank Forbidden Planet, I mean, wow...the place. No back issues!?
    I've never been there. It's so important it's really there!

AND WOW, THANK YOU Jonathan Hickman...I LOVE LOVE LOVE how in interviews and in person (from what others report) and when you talk about what you do and all that you almost always talk about what you love and who you love and so often say things like (THE BEST) about lots of creators...THE BEST...and I hardly ever hear about anybody or anyone you 'hate'...

Maybe hate is something we have to leave behind (like a shield) to really use both hands.

WOW!

So there's this mistake I made in this post, a ton...the whole thing maybe...
    I don't know...but it's all sorts of slushy outside and my socks will be soggy for sure...soon
    Last edited by sungila; 01-04-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote