1 0.95%
  • No Surrender

8 7.62%
  • War of Realms

3 2.86%
  • Name your own that’s not listed

10 9.52%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

The Phoenix Five couldn't restart the x gene, it was Hope's destiny, she was the chosen host, so when Tony inflicted the phoenix force on them, they chose to use it to save the world while waiting for Hope to be ready

Anyway, scriptwriting facilities for a terrible event (the only issues that I liked were those of Hickman because he recognized the phoenix force's positivity)

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    The Phoenix Five couldn't restart the x gene, it was Hope's destiny, she was the chosen host, so when Tony inflicted the phoenix force on them, they chose to use it to save the world while waiting for Hope to be ready

Anyway, scriptwriting facilities for a terrible event (the only issues that I liked were those of Hickman because he recognized the phoenix force's positivity)
    Thanks bro. Yeah, I got that sense, the Phoenix Five were preparing things while Hope was getting ready. Still, felt it could have been more explicitly stated.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Hey all, just wanted to express some thoughts on today's issue, Avengers #40. I was coming into the story with some negative baggage from the AvX miniseries. But, wow, the story really hit some good marks. Yes, there were some call backs to AvX, but there was enough of a personal story here. The set up and seeing who's involved with this....I'm intrigued. Here are more spoiler-filled thoughts:

spoilers:
    - Loved the fight between Cap and Doom. Aaron mentioned how he'd be getting into the personal motivations for characters and we see some of that in this issue. Cap's humility is contrasted with Dr. Doom's arrogance. Nice shout outs to Cosmic Cubes and Infinity Gauntlets. Sure, Cap's used those things, but at the end of the day, he doesn't want power.

- Nice to see all of the characters converge on the Phoenix site. As mentioned before, there were some shout outs to AvX. I liked reading Namor saying he wanted to be reunited with the Phoenix force. Still, were any lessons learned from before? Yeah Black Panther tries to talk with it using the Celestial, but everyone ends up fighting at the end.

- Cap narrates his passage well. He won, but it's a disturbing/terrifying victory.

- American Eagle? The Orb? Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur? These are the ones who are in this Enter The Phoenix tournament?

- Thought I wouldn't like the art or the Phoenix designs, but wow, I'm impressed.
    end of spoilers

Those are some of my thoughts. Still, would like to hear yours!
    "I am a man of peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks bro. Yeah, I got that sense, the Phoenix Five were preparing things while Hope was getting ready. Still, felt it could have been more explicitly stated.
    They thoought was that Hope was ready. They just got lost on phoenix powers

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hey all, just wanted to express some thoughts on today's issue, Avengers #40. I was coming into the story with some negative baggage from the AvX miniseries. But, wow, the story really hit some good marks. Yes, there were some call backs to AvX, but there was enough of a personal story here. The set up and seeing who's involved with this....I'm intrigued. Here are more spoiler-filled thoughts:

spoilers:
    - Nice to see all of the characters converge on the Phoenix site. As mentioned before, there were some shout outs to AvX. I liked reading Namor saying he wanted to be reunited with the Phoenix force. Still, were any lessons learned from before? Yeah Black Panther tries to talk with it using the Celestial, but everyone ends up fighting at the end.

- Thought I wouldn't like the art or the Phoenix designs, but wow, I'm impressed.
    end of spoilers

Those are some of my thoughts. Still, would like to hear yours!
    Maybe you liked reading Namor saying that, but it goes against every single portrayal of Namor post AvX. He hated it.

I was happily surprised by the art, as I found the Phoenix designs ... well, ugly. The art was nice, and the big splash page with the Defenders of the Deep and the last page were cool looking.

As a Namor fan, however, this was face palming stupid and an ignorant portrayal of Namor.

I mean, seriously. Why do these writers completely ignore the fact that Namor is top tier STRONG and that he can FLY. And hey, when he's near the ocean, he can also BREATHE WATER. You know who can't fly or breathe water or is super strong? Wolverine. Captain America. Namor fans can except nothing but sheer jobbery in this mess.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I've all but given up on Avengers books in the last couple years, but I tried this issue out to see what was going on in the ol' Avengers-world, plus it has some of my old favs in it. Namor, T'Challa, Doom. Then I read it and immediately remembered why I haven't read Avengers in a while. I did not come here to hate or to piss on anyone who's enjoying this, but to me, this was so badly written all I can do is scratch my head. The only thing I liked was Doom also realizing the entire thing was ridiculous and peacing out.

I'll try Avengers again next year or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Maybe you liked reading Namor saying that, but it goes against every single portrayal of Namor post AvX. He hated it.

I was happily surprised by the art, as I found the Phoenix designs ... well, ugly. The art was nice, and the big splash page with the Defenders of the Deep and the last page were cool looking.

As a Namor fan, however, this was face palming stupid and an ignorant portrayal of Namor.

I mean, seriously. Why do these writers completely ignore the fact that Namor is top tier STRONG and that he can FLY. And hey, when he's near the ocean, he can also BREATHE WATER. You know who can't fly or breathe water or is super strong? Wolverine. Captain America. Namor fans can except nothing but sheer jobbery in this mess.
    Understood. No problem at all, got to clarify this. When I mentioned that I liked Namor saying that, what I really liked was the acknowledgement. This was an acknowledgment of past continuity and I'm appreciative of the fact that a past story was remembered by a character.

Now if you're saying that Namor has been on record as saying that he didn't like to be a Phoenix again, I get why there'd be frustration with Aaron not acknowledging that. However, I could accept him saying this. With current circumstances the way they are, with Namor being a bit more on the offensive in recent issues of Avengers, I could see why he'd want the power of the Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I've all but given up on Avengers books in the last couple years, but I tried this issue out to see what was going on in the ol' Avengers-world, plus it has some of my old favs in it. Namor, T'Challa, Doom. Then I read it and immediately remembered why I haven't read Avengers in a while. I did not come here to hate or to piss on anyone who's enjoying this, but to me, this was so badly written all I can do is scratch my head. The only thing I liked was Doom also realizing the entire thing was ridiculous and peacing out.

I'll try Avengers again next year or something.
    Yeah, I've been on a Busiek Avengers kick as of late as well and a lot of the modern stuff causes me to scratch my head. Heroes just seem more willing to shout in each others' faces and get into a fight than have a civil discussion. Part of me felt the build up and premise was a little worn (the Phoenix coming to Earth. Again?) or a little fast (Woah, Cap and Dr. Doom fighting one another this quickly?) There could have been more lead up. But seeing Cap and Doom fight, seeing that compare and contrast between characters, I liked that. I hope Aaron continues that with subsequent issues, the comparison between characters and what they'd do with the Phoenix's powers.
    Last edited by Tien Long; 12-30-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    "I am a man of peace."

BANNED

calling it now,
    Howard the Duck is the new Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Logan can't even swim, can he? His metal skeleton is too heavy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Logan can't even swim, can he? His metal skeleton is too heavy.
    Dude was fighting sharks in the 80s, he can swim just fine most of the time, he is just afraid of drowning if something goes wrong.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    calling it now,
    Howard the Duck is the new Phoenix.
    Ha perhaps. But it's probably going to be one of the female characters. I've read people say that Jane Foster will be the new Phoenix. I say it could be either her or Echo, the latter mainly because we haven't seen her in a while and there hasn't been much progress with her lately.

In any case, just read it again. Wow, I'm even more impressed. The fight with Cap and Doom had a number of moments when who'd be the victor (pun definitely intended) wasn't so clear. Doom forefeits because the Phoenix desires it's wielder to be humble. Doom is never humble. I like that.

I'm genuinely excited over who will match up against whom. I'm a sucker for tournament storylines (though if this whole tournament angle ends by the second part, yeah, I'd be miffed).
    "I am a man of peace."

Can't see it being Jane. If she stops being Valkyrie she'll probably resume her female Thor form, for synergy with the Love and Thunder movie which will adapt her superhero origin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Dude was fighting sharks in the 80s, he can swim just fine most of the time, he is just afraid of drowning if something goes wrong.
    Look, I'm Canadian and I love Wolverine, but he's pretty much a guy with a healing factor, claws, and a bad attitude. The popularity armor he has is astounding. He can't fly or pretty much do anything else if he's not in a close combat situation, unless there's a fastball special involved. I would really like to see someone like Namor hand him his ass a bit more often. Namor can fly and breathe underwater. Why engage with him in close combat at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Can't see it being Jane. If she stops being Valkyrie she'll probably resume her female Thor form, for synergy with the Love and Thunder movie which will adapt her superhero origin.
    I don't think they will do synergy all the time. I think Jane is epected so she might not be the phoenix. Orb is also too on the nose

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Look, I'm Canadian and I love Wolverine, but he's pretty much a guy with a healing factor, claws, and a bad attitude. The popularity armor he has is astounding. He can't fly or pretty much do anything else if he's not in a close combat situation, unless there's a fastball special involved. I would really like to see someone like Namor hand him his ass a bit more often. Namor can fly and breathe underwater. Why engage with him in close combat at all?
    I don't care about his storyline in Avengers or whatever happened with Namor, i'm very aware that Namor is out of his league and that Aaron is a fanboy. I just responded to that comment, because a lot of people make the wrong assumption that Logan can't swim, he can, he has been doing that since the 70s, his first Madripoor story has him punching a shark. That's all.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona