• No Surrender

8 7.62%
  • War of Realms

3 2.86%
  • Name your own that’s not listed

10 9.52%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Looking at the poll on this thread, IMO, it says really good things about the Avengers that opinion on their best story is so scattered out.

A lot of teams teams would tend to pool around a smaller number of stories.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Still one of the best theme songs to a Superhero cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Looking at the poll on this thread, IMO, it says really good things about the Avengers that opinion on their best story is so scattered out.

A lot of teams teams would tend to pool around a smaller number of stories.
    Avengers Forever was left off the list, hence the spread. How long until Aaron is off the book?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Avengers Forever was left off the list, hence the spread.
    A very sad omission, IMHO.

Ultimate Member

Oh, that lineup. I love it. The cheekiness of being told it's going to be a cross-time caper, and you can have *any* seven Avengers, and you're like, "No Iron Man or Thor, but Captain America and Wasp and Hawkeye for classic Avengers, Genis-Vell and Songbird, who aren't even Avengers yet, and Hank Pym will be in it, *twice.*"

I mean gosh, the only way he could have topped that is adding Doctor Druid and D-Man to the roster! Just flip all the applecarts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Oh, that lineup. I love it. The cheekiness of being told it's going to be a cross-time caper, and you can have *any* seven Avengers, and you're like, "No Iron Man or Thor, but Captain America and Wasp and Hawkeye for classic Avengers, Genis-Vell and Songbird, who aren't even Avengers yet, and Hank Pym will be in it, *twice.*"

I mean gosh, the only way he could have topped that is adding Doctor Druid and D-Man to the roster! Just flip all the applecarts.
    Forever was a terrific series. Pacheco’s work rivaled some of the great Avenger artists. Let’s not forget this follow up Annual tale with the Squadron and Imus
    AF494710-5997-4D52-8683-8DF72AA64DAA.jpg

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Forever was a terrific series. Pacheco’s work rivaled some of the great Avenger artists. Let’s not forget this follow up Annual tale with the Squadron and Imus
    AF494710-5997-4D52-8683-8DF72AA64DAA.jpg
    IMO, that was the most Justice League-feeling issue of Avengers that I can recall.

Well, the Squadron Supreme ARE Justice League expies.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Boisterously Confused

Avengers Forever was left off the list, hence the spread...
    It was a great story, I don't know that it would sucked up enough the votes to make a dominant spike in the results. I do, however, agree that it belonged on the list.

It was a great story, I don't know that it would sucked up enough the votes to make a dominant spike in the results.
    I beg to differ. When it first came out people were calling it the greatest Avengers story ever told. A story that was decades in the making. People were saying that Avengers Forever was to the Avengers what the Phoenix Saga was to the X-Men. I chalked it up to recency bias at first. It was good, but was it that good? Would people still want to read it ten,thirty,forty years from now? Well, I have to admit I was wrong. Avengers Forever is really that good, and it appears to have stamina.

The best thing about it is that this is Busiek and Pacheco at the height of their power in all their full unapologetic comic booky glory. It's not decompressed. It's not filled with wannabe David Mamet dialogue. It's not an outline for a Netflix series. It doesn't exist because of Hollywood synergy nor is it the result of it. You don't have to be familiar with the characters to understand the story, but if you are it rewards you for it. It's one of those books that if you run across it you will feel a need to read it all over again.

I do, however, agree that it belonged on the list.
    It belongs at the top of it. Plus it gave us Genis, who is awesome and should be Captain Marvel
    Last edited by Anthony W; 10-07-2020 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Genius is awesome.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

The Celestial Madonna / Englehart story didn't get much support here. I will say when it came out, its intricacy at the time weaving in Vision's origin, the original Human Torch, Kang's desire to find the Celestial Madonna, a more in-depth dive into the Kree lore, and the pacifist Cotati was all pretty heady stuff then. Englehart took a couple of Thomas threads that included Vision and Wanda's romance and picking up on Vision's origin begun in issue 93 with Pym's "Fantastic Voyage". May not be a top story overall but pretty complex tale for that time. One of the best moments of that run included the Macrobots, and Wanda's coming-of-age comet attack in the GS issue 2. Good stuff.
    RCO033_1465816442.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    The Celestial Madonna / Englehart story didn't get much support here. I will say when it came out, its intricacy at the time weaving in Vision's origin, the original Human Torch, Kang's desire to find the Celestial Madonna, a more in-depth dive into the Kree lore, and the pacifist Cotati was all pretty heady stuff then. Englehart took a couple of Thomas threads that included Vision and Wanda's romance and picking up on Vision's origin begun in issue 93 with Pym's "Fantastic Voyage". May not be a top story overall but pretty complex tale for that time. One of the best moments of that run included the Macrobots, and Wanda's coming-of-age comet attack in the GS issue 2. Good stuff.
    RCO033_1465816442.jpg
    "A hex hurled from the depths of Wanda's seething soul!" Good stuff.

It belongs at the top of it. Plus it gave us Genis, who is awesome and should be Captain Marvel
    To the utmost, I agree! And definitely reunite Genis with Rick Jones while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

^^^One of my favorite line ups ever.
    The whole damn story was just great, really.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    To the utmost, I agree! And definitely reunite Genis with Rick Jones while you're at it.
    ^^^Yes please.

This pairing brought out the best in both characters, and while Rick still comes off as pretty good w.out Genis, Genis w.out Rick has always seemed a bit lacking.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 10-08-2020 at 02:24 AM.