1 0.95%
  • No Surrender

8 7.62%
  • War of Realms

3 2.86%
  • Name your own that’s not listed

10 9.52%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

So who is the villain in the upcoming Phoenix storyline? What's going to be going on besides a bunch of Phoenix-y stuff, buildings and cities being blown up? (which, I really hope doesn't happen. seriously. that trope is super-damaging, especially for any "heroes"-- possessed or not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    After all these years my favorite Avengers story is still The Nefaria Trilogy.
    The Avengers #164 - To Fall By Treachery
    The Avengers #165 - Hammer of Vengeance!
    The Avengers #166 - Day Of The Godslayer!
    By Jim Shooter, John Byrne and Pablo Marcos.
    The Avengers vs. Superman.
    Great stuff!
    Yes, it's been my favourite Avengers story since I first read it back when it was reprinted in UK format (probably 1980-81).

Other favourites include The Kree/Skrull War, Avengers Forever, Assault on Olympus, and the Avengers vs Thanos (Avengers & Marvel Two-in-One annuals) epic with the Thing, Spider-Man, Warlock and Mar-Vell.

Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAvenger View Post
    So are we gonna find out Odín & Phoenix had a baby cos if not then there’s no point in doing that weird relationship
    Nooooo....do not speak that into existence.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

sorry don't know how to delete posts
    Last edited by stovap; 10-08-2020 at 03:37 PM. Reason: mistake

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I beg to differ. When it first came out people were calling it the greatest Avengers story ever told. A story that was decades in the making. People were saying that Avengers Forever was to the Avengers what the Phoenix Saga was to the X-Men. I chalked it up to recency bias at first. It was good, but was it that good? Would people still want to read it ten,thirty,forty years from now? Well, I have to admit I was wrong. Avengers Forever is really that good, and it appears to have stamina.

The best thing about it is that this is Busiek and Pacheco at the height of their power in all their full unapologetic comic booky glory. It's not decompressed. It's not filled with wannabe David Mamet dialogue. It's not an outline for a Netflix series. It doesn't exist because of Hollywood synergy nor is it the result of it. You don't have to be familiar with the characters to understand the story, but if you are it rewards you for it. It's one of those books that if you run across it you will feel a need to read it all over again.

It belongs at the top of it. Plus it gave us Genis, who is awesome and should be Captain Marvel
    Start a new poll. To paraphrase Demming, without data, you're just another person with an opinion.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

How’s Savage Avengers? Almost everyone on it shouldn’t be an Avenger, which I absolutely hate the idea of having them considered Avengers, but I just found out they’re going up against Kulan Gath.

The Return of the Valkyries announced.

https://twitter.com/gronbekk/status/1316018932361261061

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

who are the valkyries represented here?

Jane Foster, Dani Moonstar, I assume the dark skinned one is the movie synergy one from Saladin Ahmed's Exiles run, and I don't know who the last one is - unless it's a resurrected Brunnhilde, the classic ex-Defenders Valkyrie?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jane Foster, Dani Moonstar, I assume the dark skinned one is the movie synergy one from Saladin Ahmed's Exiles run, and I don't know who the last one is - unless it's a resurrected Brunnhilde, the classic ex-Defenders Valkyrie?
    I think it's that lady who replaced Volstagg in the Warrior's Three during Aaron's run.

I guess it makes sense to revive the Valkyrie's with actual recognizable characters (aside from the original herself, because of Jane).

Spectacular Member

So the general thinking on Aaron’s run has not been positive. I liked the Vampire arc but I’d generally have to agree (and I really like Jason Aaron’s writing usually).

What about his run has or has not worked for you? Has the JLA type approach to putting the team together worked? Do you miss characters like Hawkeye and Wasp? What about the villains? Moments? What has stuck out for you about Aaron’s run?

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    So the general thinking on Aaron’s run has not been positive. I liked the Vampire arc but I’d generally have to agree (and I really like Jason Aaron’s writing usually).

What about his run has or has not worked for you? Has the JLA type approach to putting the team together worked? Do you miss characters like Hawkeye and Wasp? What about the villains? Moments? What has stuck out for you about Aaron’s run?
    For me...I'm not against the JLA-type approach but I feel like Aaron isn't as invested in the Big Guns on his main team as he is the more quirky, niche, characters he throws into the book and his characterizations at times come off as little too cartoonish and out of character for my tastes.

I feel like a few more classic Avengers would be nice to see but probably not what Aaron is too interested in unless they're characters Marvel needs to promote. But considering how he writes She-Hulk, I'm not sure I want him to touch Scarlet Witch or Hawkeye.

Some of his ideas are a little too on-the-nose but not necessarily bad, he just writes them with the subtlety and nuance of a sledgehammer. At least in my opinion. So it's bombastic and big but in a popcorn movie kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post

Aaron's run has no real candy because you can tell the Avengers are thing he wants to write about the least and the format of trying to make everything an event in scale results in arcs that are both too short for their concepts and too long leading to a book with slow pacing. His best arcs were Vampires and Starbrand.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    How’s Savage Avengers? Almost everyone on it shouldn’t be an Avenger, which I absolutely hate the idea of having them considered Avengers, but I just found out they’re going up against Kulan Gath.
    They did an overview book before Empyre, and the Savage Avengers aren't an actual Avengers team. The book is just titled that.

Spectacular Member

What happened to the subplot about all the different mega teams that were assembling? Squadron Supreme and Russia and Namor all forming their own teams to compete with The Avengers. Has that just been dropped to do this Moon Knight and now Phoenix nonsense?