1 0.95%
  • No Surrender

8 7.62%
  • War of Realms

3 2.86%
  • Name your own that’s not listed

10 9.52%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

The Empyre handbook summarised the Hickman, Waid and Aaron eras of the Avengers. It also clarified that the following teams are NOT officially Avengers: A-Force, Occupy Avengers, Savage Avengers, Captain Marvel's Ultimates, and Kate Bishop's West Coast Avengers.

Interestingly, they also have Nadia Van Dyne listed as an inactive Avenger, and not a former member like Kamala Khan, Miles Morales and Sam Alexander, despite the fact she's now a Champion.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Empyre handbook summarised the Hickman, Waid and Aaron eras of the Avengers. It also clarified that the following teams are NOT officially Avengers: A-Force, Occupy Avengers, Savage Avengers, Captain Marvel's Ultimates, and Kate Bishop's West Coast Avengers.

Interestingly, they also have Nadia Van Dyne listed as an inactive Avenger, and not a former member like Kamala Khan, Miles Morales and Sam Alexander, despite the fact she's now a Champion.
    A new Avengers West...and official team...would be interesting if it included Kate's team being served with a cease and desist order over using the name.

Kamala, Miles and Sam quit....Nadia just moved on from the team.

Fantastic Member

So did New Avengers and US Avengers count as official teams, and are they considered as members?

Awesome! Does this mean both the Uncanny Avengers & the Avengers of the Supernatural officially qualify as AVENGERS...?

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-08-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Most of those teams were fairly unofficial. Kate's not being official feels like a diss .

I guess Nadia never really left like they did, her team just went defunct.

Extraordinary Member

Tom Brevoort has repeatedly said he doesn't want to bring back the West Coast Avengers (he's probably not alone: Mark Gruenwald, the editor who launched the title, said he regretted it because it made it impossible for Cap/Thor/Iron Man to be on the same team), so it makes sense that Marvel only reused the title for a group that was clearly not the Avengers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Tom Brevoort has repeatedly said he doesn't want to bring back the West Coast Avengers (he's probably not alone: Mark Gruenwald, the editor who launched the title, said he regretted it because it made it impossible for Cap/Thor/Iron Man to be on the same team), so it makes sense that Marvel only reused the title for a group that was clearly not the Avengers.
    1. With the history and long list of characters that have been Avengers it limits how many characters can have stories about them
    2. Of course you can have Cap, Thor and Iron Man on the main team. You can put other long time Avengers like Jan or Wanda or Monica or whoever on the West Coast Team.

Extraordinary Member

I agree with you, but current management at Marvel clearly thinks that it's better to have just one team instead of splitting the Avengers audience between two teams. I wish it were otherwise because I want Jan, Wanda, Monica etc. back on an Avengers team, but I suspect that one reason Jason Aaron's all-star book is still selling OK is that it's the only Avengers book.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Most of those teams were fairly unofficial. Kate's not being official feels like a diss .
    It does match the continuity though. Kate got an angry phone call from Captain America when Steve found out about the team's existence. The team continued after the book's cancellation, and seemingly only disbands due to Outlawed, since their HQ was shown in the one-shot.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Awesome! Does this mean both the Uncanny Avengers & the Avengers of the Supernatural officially qualify as AVENGERS...?
    The Unity Squad counts, yes. Supernatural wasn't mentioned.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-08-2020 at 07:54 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I can’t wait to see the state sanctioned teen govt team lineup once Outlawed is finished.

Game's pretty good.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    2. Of course you can have Cap, Thor and Iron Man on the main team. You can put other long time Avengers like Jan or Wanda or Monica or whoever on the West Coast Team.
    Exactly! There are tons of great classic Avengers like Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Hawkeye, Monica, She-Hulk, Black Panther, Wonder Man, Mockingbird, Hank (if he's ever not-dead), etc. available to anchor a West Coast (or Florida or Texas or Seattle-based, or Euro, or Asian, etc.) team.

You can even use a Cap stand-in (US Agent, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Danielle Cage) or Iron Man offshoots (War Machine, Riri, Rescue), or one of the other Thors (Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike, Jane).

The problem is that there are *too many* great characters who aren't Cap, Tony or Thor to choose from!

Fantastic Member

We need more Avengers books to get a lot of these former Avengers and other characters out of limbo

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I agree with you, but current management at Marvel clearly thinks that it's better to have just one team instead of splitting the Avengers audience between two teams. I wish it were otherwise because I want Jan, Wanda, Monica etc. back on an Avengers team, but I suspect that one reason Jason Aaron's all-star book is still selling OK is that it's the only Avengers book.
    This is also the reason Marvel as a whole has put out some stale ass comics. For the reason you just explained. They shouldn't be scared to push the boundaries to create new teams with new dynamics and recycling unused alongside new characters. I think the true problem is lack of conviction. They hoard all the talent and resources for the few pet characters and will often let ones on the outer peripheral linger and eventually fade away into limbo. I for one get tired of KNOWING that everything will center around the same 4-5 characters. With a universe of concepts and characters they're either afraid to or don't want to just create for the passion of creating.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

This reminds me that I totally forgot to check the Empyre Handbook. I'm gonna check it now.