Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The JJ Abrams Rise of Skywalker cut? (Spoilers)

This is a theory or rumour trending out that I believe is true. As we watch the rise of skywalker drama unfold, news is flying that Disney heavily meddled in the film and most of the original movie that JJ Abrams directed is not what made it to cinema. A lot of editing and changes were made that made the film unrecognizable to JJ Abrams.

https://collider.com/rise-of-skywalk...ine-backstory/
    An Earlier Cut of ‘Rise of Skywalker’ Explained Palpatine’s Backstory

https://www.newsweek.com/star-wars-r...-trend-1480105
    'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Rumors Cite Disney Meddling As #ReleasetheJJCut Trends

The latest movie in Disney's Star Wars trilogy has been the source of constant internet discussion since its release, with a group of vocal viewers upset at the final result. Reddit sub "Saltier than Crait" (referencing the salt mining planet from the Star Wars mythos) sprung up for those to discuss their distaste for the final movie. On Wednesday night, moderator egoshoppe posted bullet points from a conversation with someone who claims to be a source "who worked closely on the production of RoS" at an unnamed production company.

According to the post, director J.J. Abrams' was brought on by Disney CEO Bob Iger and that "Disney insisted on fan service over plot development. Abrams' cut of the movie was allegedly different than the final cut we saw because of meddling on behalf of Disney, who was worried the director might transition to Warner Brothers to help out DC's languishing universe of movies. The post claims that Abrams felt "devastated and blindsided" by the final product, had less "creative control" than promised and that his version was 3 hours and 2 minutes long as opposed to the official 2 hour and 22 minute runtime.

According to the post, many plot holes in the movie were filled in Abram's cut. Finn wanted to tell Rey that he was force sensitive, Rose was going to have a "more meaningful arc" and Kylo Ren's redemption to Ben had more scenes that fleshed out the idea. The final kiss between Ben and Rey was a Disney idea that Abrams was against. The post claims that a finale involving past Jedi, like Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu or Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan Kenobi, were inevitably cut.

The contents of the post cannot yet be proven as factual and may yet amount to a hoax designed to stir up an angry fan base. Still, leaks on reddit for popular fan properties have happened in the past, most notably with the final episodes of season eight of Game of Thrones. The plots of the episodes were leaked days before their premiere, and those posts proved to be correct. Regardless, take everything you read online with a grain of Cait salt.

Fans on Twitter have been posting "#releasetheabramscut" or "#releasetheJJcut" hashtags to share their thoughts on these alleged leaks. Like DC's Justice League, fans are pleading to see the director's version of the Rise of Skywalker rather than the one we received.
    From a long time star wars fan perspective it could explain some weird things. remember when most of us said the...''they fly now'' dialogue felt more Marvel/Disney humour than Star Wars? it may turn out now that this was not far-fetched. JJ Abrams apparently cringe at it and felt it was not appropriate.

The Rey and Ben kiss that some of us have said was random? One of the most awkward kisses in recent film history. this also make sense that Disney (not JJ Abrams) were the people that shoe-horned it there for fan service to reylos shippers, JJ never wanted the kiss. It sort of confirms JJ was always a fan of Rey and Finn. There was a scene with Rey and Finn holding hands but that was taken out.

What about Palpatine re-appearing, apparently JJ Abrams' wanted to give a solid backstory to explain why but Disney cut that out. My first ever thoughts of Rise of Skwyalker, I said it felt as if the movie was made by the Disney shareholders. Not surprised any more about this latest controversy.

Additionally JJ saying the critics were right about Rise of Skywalker, it makes enough sense he said it so openly since Rise of Skywalker is not necessarily a movie he wrote or directed. Sigh, what a mess . If there is any consultation for the people who liked rise of Skywalker, I think a JJ Abrams' cut would have turned out better than the Justice League Snyder cut.

I do hope we learn more about what really went on with this film as time goes on.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-03-2020 at 05:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Is there anything with an anti-disney slant you wouldn't believe?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Is there anything with an anti-disney slant you wouldn't believe?
    Its not an anti Disney slant. Its the latest news rumour going on with this film. a news that is very believable given disney's own record of creative freedom rights of directors. I did say from the onset I got a very Joss Whedon Age of Ultron vibe situation with this movie from the interviews JJ Abrams was giving about the film. so it is not really a surprise.
    From what we know so far, this started from the inside. an ex a CEO of Disney lit the fire.

ROS did feel more like a mash up movie than a pure JJ Abrams film, ROS has no heavy resemblances to Star Trek 2009, Star Trek Into Darkness, Super 8, Mission Impossible 3 or even The Force Awakens, so it does make sense to me that Disney heavily interfered even more than they usually do.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-03-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Took a look at this from credible sources. As far as I can tell, there is indeed a "JJ Cut"; you can see it in your local theater right now.

That's a wrap for this thread.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Took a look at this from credible sources. As far as I can tell, there is indeed a "JJ Cut"; you can see it in your local theater right now.

I doubt the the independent, NBC news, CEO employee, NME and Forbes don't count as credible news sources worth reporting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas.../#366131bb1adf
    A Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker ‘JJ Abrams Cut’ Is Not A Thing, Don’t Make It A Thing

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-star-n1109616
    ReleaseTheJJCut hashtag trends amid rumors about a different version of new 'Star Wars' movie

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9268641.html
    New leak 'reveals' cut Star Wars scene that would have made Rise of Skywalker more popular with fans

https://www.nme.com/news/star-wars-f...walker-2592240
    ‘Star Wars’ fans are calling on Disney to release JJ Abrams’ cut of ‘The Rise of Skywalker’

That's a wrap for this thread
    This sounds more like an illusion for the Disney has no flaws narrative when day by day star wars is hitting one bad wall controversy after the other. On the bright side, hearing that they stripped jj abrams of the movie he wanted to make is not as bad or as cynical as them blaming Carrie Fisher's passing for the last controversy with Kelly Marie train Rose Tiko having only 76 secons screen time.

As a person who knows and has seen a lot of JJ Abrams fiction, even on the small screen. I know he has more talent than what we saw with ROS. if that cut exist and I think it does. Disney owes it to fans to release it after messing up so much. Its not like star wars OT does not have many edition and releases. ROS JJ Cut could be another one.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-03-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Mighty Member

I do know one or two people are speculating that Ben Solo actually survived in the original cut, that they shot several endings and if you look closely at his 'death' scene it's oddly edited, as if they reversed the footage.
    They proposed that what actually happened was that Ben collapsed and Leia used the last of her energy to revive her son, hence her body not disappearing until much later and Max's little smile.
    Of course it could be simply fans of the character clutching at straws!
    But.....it does explain why Rey shows absolutely no sign of distress or grief, post Ben's supposed 'death' , and why you never see Ben Solo's Force ghost. There were two ships on Exegol, the X Wing Rey left in and Kylo's ship which he arrived in. If he did survive, then it accounts for why Rey chose to go alone to Tattooine at the end, to rendevous with him, while the Resistance of course will believe Kylo Ren is dead, and Ben Solo can begin anew.

It also could explain why Han made such a point of telling his son that Kylo Ren died, but his son lived. And also why that scene was there in the first place, as killing his father was Kylo's ultimate sin, so to speak, and if Ben Solo was to start over it needed to be addressed first.

Ah well...... whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I do know one or two people are speculating that Ben Solo actually survived in the original cut, that they shot several endings and if you look closely at his 'death' scene it's oddly edited, as if they reversed the footage.
    They proposed that what actually happened was that Ben collapsed and Leia used the last of her energy to revive her son, hence her body not disappearing until much later and Max's little smile.
    Of course it could be simply fans of the character clutching at straws!
    But.....it does explain why Rey shows absolutely no sign of distress or grief, post Ben's supposed 'death' , and why you never see Ben Solo's Force ghost. There were two ships on Exegol, the X Wing Rey left in and Kylo's ship which he arrived in. If he did survive, then it accounts for why Rey chose to go alone to Tattooine at the end, to rendevous with him, while the Resistance of course will believe Kylo Ren is dead, and Ben Solo can begin anew.

It also could explain why Han made such a point of telling his son that Kylo Ren died, but his son lived. And also why that scene was there in the first place, as killing his father was Kylo's ultimate sin, so to speak, and if Ben Solo was to start over it needed to be addressed first.

Ah well...... whatever.
    From a pure objectivity story telling point, it will make more sense that Ben did live, reason we don't see Rey sad in the end. Rey cried more for Han in TFA than she did for Ben, she is supposed to be in love with?
    The force ghost of Luke would have been for Ben from a story point because he impacted her more than Luke, so it could be another proof Ben was meant to live.

I said it 2 weeks ago that the kiss was so weird and the only way to make sense of it would have been some dialogue between them, meaning Ben could not have died immediately or did survive. which in a way backs up what indiewire, a very credible Hollywood news agent said that the movie was a mash up and was about fan service

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/st...ce-1202199976/
    ‘Rise of Skywalker’ Editor Opens Up on Rushed Production, Agrees Film Is Fan Service
    "It’s a struggle. It affected everything," J.J. Abrams' longtime editor Maryann Brandon says of rushing to meet the December 20 release date.

I think once most people calm down and look past their anger or disappointment about ROS, it will be obvious there is more to this film than we ever got and start to go a little more easy on JJ Abrams. For me he is the victim here.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-03-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    From a pure objectivity story telling point, it will make more sense that Ben did live, reason we don't see Rey sad in the end. Rey cried more for Han in TFA than she did for Ben, she is supposed to be in love with?
    The force ghost of Luke would have been for Ben from a story point because he impacted her more than Luke, so it could be another proof Ben was meant to live.

I said it 2 weeks ago that the kiss was so weird and the only way to make sense of it would have been some dialogue between them, meaning Ben could not have died immediately or did survive. which in a way backs up what indiewire, a very credible Hollywood news agent said that the movie was a mash up and was about fan service

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/st...ce-1202199976/
    ‘Rise of Skywalker’ Editor Opens Up on Rushed Production, Agrees Film Is Fan Service
    "It’s a struggle. It affected everything," J.J. Abrams' longtime editor Maryann Brandon says of rushing to meet the December 20 release date.

I think once most people calm down and look past their anger or disappointment about ROS, it will be obvious there is more to this film than we ever got and start to go a little more easy on JJ Abrams. For me he is the victim here.
    Well, The Force Awakens wasn't a bad film, much better than Rise of Skywalker.

BANNED

Look guys, there's one fool-proof way to solve this.

Give all the footage of the ST - TFA, TLJ, and TROS to George Lucas, have him re-edit and re-cut the entire trilogy in Special Editions, and that will solve most of the continuity woes.

I mean there's a more than 1% chance that can actually happen.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Look guys, there's one fool-proof way to solve this.

Give all the footage of the ST - TFA, TLJ, and TROS to George Lucas, have him re-edit and re-cut the entire trilogy in Special Editions, and that will solve most of the continuity woes.

I mean there's a more than 1% chance that can actually happen.
    I bet he wishes he hadn't sold the franchise now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I bet he wishes he hadn't sold the franchise now.
    Are you kidding, this is his vindication. He gave the fans what they asked for and once and for all settled that he’s the only creator of Star Wars.

The same outrage, the same grudges, the same complaints but now nowhere to hide. Lawrence Kasdan created SW, well Solo which he produced and worked on sucked. Anyone other than Lucas can make SW, well three movies later that’s gone.

Lucas was wrong to alter the theatrical releases. Now fans ask for a JJ abrams cut, or a remake of TLJ and so on, destroying any foundation of criticism against Lucas for touching up his movies on re-releases.

Lucas won. Flawless Victory.

The latest movie in Disney's Star Wars trilogy has been the source of constant internet discussion since its release, with a group of vocal viewers upset at the final result. Reddit sub "Saltier than Crait" (referencing the salt mining planet from the Star Wars mythos) sprung up for those to discuss their distaste for the final movie. On Wednesday night, moderator egoshoppe posted bullet points from a conversation with someone who claims to be a source "who worked closely on the production of RoS" at an unnamed production company.

According to the post, director J.J. Abrams' was brought on by Disney CEO Bob Iger and that "Disney insisted on fan service over plot development. Abrams' cut of the movie was allegedly different than the final cut we saw because of meddling on behalf of Disney, who was worried the director might transition to Warner Brothers to help out DC's languishing universe of movies. The post claims that Abrams felt "devastated and blindsided" by the final product, had less "creative control" than promised and that his version was 3 hours and 2 minutes long as opposed to the official 2 hour and 22 minute runtime.

According to the post, many plot holes in the movie were filled in Abram's cut. Finn wanted to tell Rey that he was force sensitive, Rose was going to have a "more meaningful arc" and Kylo Ren's redemption to Ben had more scenes that fleshed out the idea. The final kiss between Ben and Rey was a Disney idea that Abrams was against. The post claims that a finale involving past Jedi, like Samuel L. Jackson's Mace Windu or Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan Kenobi, were inevitably cut.

The contents of the post cannot yet be proven as factual and may yet amount to a hoax designed to stir up an angry fan base. Still, leaks on reddit for popular fan properties have happened in the past, most notably with the final episodes of season eight of Game of Thrones. The plots of the episodes were leaked days before their premiere, and those posts proved to be correct. Regardless, take everything you read online with a grain of Cait salt.

Fans on Twitter have been posting "#releasetheabramscut" or "#releasetheJJcut" hashtags to share their thoughts on these alleged leaks. Like DC's Justice League, fans are pleading to see the director's version of the Rise of Skywalker rather than the one we received.
    A person named Saltier that Crait and a person named Eggoshoppe have a conversation with an unnamed source who works for an unnamed production company. Ah, the Internet. Where innuendo and baseless claims can see the light of day that they would never have seen before it.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 01-03-2020 at 11:36 AM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Given JJ Abrams stature in the industry, I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt theres an unaltered JJ cut somewhere out there. Also, given Lucasfilm's lack of hesitation when changing film makers, I even doubt it more that Lucasfilm would even allow JJ finish making a movie they didn't like (Rogue One and Solo had their directors changed mid-production and Episode 9 didn't even get made by Colin Trevorrow at all)

Sure I believe there could be a directors cut that's longer but I doubt that what JJ made was significantly different from what we got in theatres.

I say this. Pics or it didn't' happen.

JJ said very little was cut, did he not?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium