Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The "Remake Ep 8" JJ Abrams campaign petition

So..."Remake Ep. 8". I've been reading rumblings of this and having this discussion with friends. What are your thoughts? At first I shrugged at the thought, but now that I think of it more..it actually could make sense and be justified.

To be transparent, I did not enjoy Ep 8, The Last Jedi. But regardless of my personal dislike of the movie, I think there are some good reasons to have JJ Abrams re-do the middle episode:

1. He did the first. He did the last. The middle one doesn't seem to flow/fit well with his start & end. I've had conversations with casual Star Wars fans who have said "What was up with that last one?". One even said, "I fell asleep". Yes, anecdotal but examples none the less.
    2. To many, things done in Rise Of Skywalker were done to "correct" things done in The Last Jedi. Perhaps not negate, but "counter". Why not have a middle movie that won't have the feel of the third movie contradicting it? That's a better story and experience for the audience.
    3. Even if you liked Johnson's Ep. 8, it doesn't seem to tie the two movies together well.
    4. There could be a ton of money to be made. And another Skywalker movie, would be a draw to many.
    5. Disney could find another Star Wars project for Rian Johnson, perhaps helming a Disney+ SW series. Basically a different platform, other than the Skywalker story, to craft his type of SW story.

Incredible Member

The concept of remaking the whole movie is laughable. At best, have JJ write a few paragraphs of what he would have done and then let go.
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    So..."Remake Ep. 8". I've been reading rumblings of this and having this discussion with friends. What are your thoughts? At first I shrugged at the thought, but now that I think of it more..it actually could make sense and be justified.

To be transparent, I did not enjoy Ep 8, The Last Jedi. But regardless of my personal dislike of the movie, I think there are some good reasons to have JJ Abrams re-do the middle episode:

1. He did the first. He did the last. The middle one doesn't seem to flow/fit well with his start & end. I've had conversations with casual Star Wars fans who have said "What was up with that last one?". One even said, "I fell asleep". Yes, anecdotal but examples none the less.
    2. To many, things done in Rise Of Skywalker were done to "correct" things done in The Last Jedi. Perhaps not negate, but "counter". Why not have a middle movie that won't have the feel of the third movie contradicting it? That's a better story and experience for the audience.
    3. Even if you liked Johnson's Ep. 8, it doesn't seem to tie the two movies together well.
    4. There could be a ton of money to be made. And another Skywalker movie, would be a draw to many.
    5. Disney could find another Star Wars project for Rian Johnson, perhaps helming a Disney+ SW series. Basically a different platform, other than the Skywalker story, to craft his type of SW story.

I mean, it feels like he kind of did? he just shoved it all into episode 9 instead of doing an episode 8 and 9 separately (which would've been better imo as the movie is just overstuffed and would've benefited from slowing down). An episode 8 which concluded with Chewbacca still presumed dead, C3PO having been mindwiped, and ending with Rey throwing the lightsaber away at Ach-To would've left everyone clamoring for episode 9 (imo) as opposed to the ending of TLJ, which really didn't leave us with any huge lingering questions as the middle part of a trilogy should (again, imo).

Yes, ROTS acknowledges bits and pieces from TLJ but it feels like JJ ignored it as much as possible without doing an outright retcon. but anyhow its done now, i see no point in trying to go backwards, instead probably best just to move forward with all new characters especially since it doesn't seem like any of the leads from ST are interested in coming back for more. Appoint Favreau or Filoni in a Kevin feige-like role as they seem to get star wars more than Kennedy.

I'm kinda on the fence about Rian helming other Star Wars projects. Sure his movie was less predictable than other SW movies but most of the action sequences fell flat for me (especially Canto Blight, which in theory shoud've been entertaining), and i didn't feel like the new characters he introduced were particularly compelling.

Spectacular Member

Thanks for the replies, Donald and bashbash. Good insights, bashbash99. Especially like how you would have ended Episode 8. And completely agree with giving Favreau and Filoni more SW roles.

My idea of SW giving Johnson something else, was really something that might placate him and/or the (dozens of) ) fans that liked The Last Jedi. Though I don't think his general take on Star Wars is one worth further investing in.

I think that it would be pretty neat as a concept in modern movies to have one the size of a Star Wars movie re-done. A whole landscape of a movie, guided by JJ's vision....would be some great new plot points, aliens, worlds, etc. Call me greedy, I just think it could be a cool & trailblazing thing overall.

BANNED

The fact is Carrie Fisher died.

TLJ has actual living Carrie Fisher in the movie.

No remake of Ep.8 whatever continuity fixes it has will be a substitute for that.

The ST is made, it's done, it's what it is, like it or not.

Get over it.

BANNED

Please provide more detail for #2 and 3 because I don't get it.

I am still waiting for the reshoot of Game of thrones season 8.
    No star wars remake will ever happen, if anything Disney are happy to get rid of the Skywalker drama and move on to other things.

There's no point to remaking TLJ. It's done, the series molded itself around it, LucasFilm and everyone involved has better things to do with their time. Just take it or leave is as you will.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Not going to happen. Episode 9 already explains and explains away parts of 8. But it's already part of the continuity of 9.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

There's no point. You'd have to remake Episode 9 as well because it was largely a response to Episode 8. Luke is dead, Rey is studying to be a Jedi and has his books, Kylo is the head of the First Order, Snoke is a joke, etc.

BANNED

Why stop at Episode 8? Might as well reboot the whole trilogy while they're at it, only this time start with a plan for the whole narrative - start to finish. It happens often enough in the anime industry, Hellsing became Hellsing: Ultimate, Fullmetal Alchemist became Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, even the Legend of the Galactic Heroes is getting a complete remake 20 years later and the original version was damn near perfect. It could be done, if only Disney is willing to swallow their pride and start over.

Mighty Member

They already remade The Last Jedi.
    It's called The Rise of Skywalker.
    (Also known as LF and Disney erasing the entire Skywalker bloodline, making the previous films pointless and replacing them with the villain's irritating holier than thou granddaughter, presumably because it's what Kathleen Kennedy wanted).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Hey, if I have to live with the prequels as they are, YOU have to live with the sequels as they are!
    Assassinate Putin!

I want a remake episode nine petition. I feel nine is the weakest episode, but hey that's just me.

On a serious note, people need to move on if they are unhappy not constantly complain. The "damage" has been done no amount of bellyaching will change that fact.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Please provide more detail for #2 and 3 because I don't get it.
    Well I think I can explain #3. TLJ doesn't mesh well with the other two films. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It gets rid of the stuff from TFA and doesn't set much of anything up for Rise of Skywalker other then the Reylo thing.