Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

did the identity of the female Thor leak? or was that just a hypothetical?

Spectacular Member

I never bought the narrative that Guardians was an especially risky film. That's very easy to say in retrospect, of course, but many of the things people said pre-release could be paraphrased as "those other people will never understand why I'm so excited for this." The worries about the film pre-release were a way for comics fans and genre aficionados to make their attachment to the material feel more personal and exclusive. It was a good sign. The target audience was taking possession at the expense of some other imaginary audience of boring norms, or whatever you want to call it. But how worried can you be for a movie that looks like vintage George Lucas, talks like Ghostbusters, and sounds like the best of AM road-trip radio? Come on.
    Last edited by Cryptid; 08-09-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Spectacular Member

Also, the new Spider-Woman series had my attention until they mentioned that Greg Land would be drawing it. I didn't mind him on Iron Man, where his backgrounds and tech always looked pretty good, but I have the nagging suspicion that Jessica Drew soon won't be able to dodge a death-ray or even answer the phone without arching her back and pouting her lips. Prove me wrong, Greg Land! And put in some hostile murder-mechs; those are always good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptid View Post
    I never bought the narrative that Guardians was an especially risky film. That's very easy to say in retrospect, of course, but many of the things people said pre-reexpectationse paraphrased as "those other Diesel people will never understand why I'm so excited for this." The worries about the film pre-release were a way for comics fans and genre aficionados to make their attachment to the material feel more personal and exclusive. It was a good sign. The target audience was taking possession at the expense of some other imaginary audience of boring norms, or whatever you want to call it. But how worried can you be for a movie that looks like vintage George Lucas, talks like Ghostbusters, and sounds like the best of AM road-trip radio? Come on.
    I don't know if "risky" is the right word. And to be fair, it had the full might of Disney's marketing behind it. A lot got spent to promote the movie. I'm not sure it would have exceded expectations otherwise. I'd like to think it would have still done well, just not AS well.

All-New Member

@Cryptid people didn't think this film was going to work.

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Will Be a Flop By Marvel Standards - Motley Fool
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...or-marvel.aspx

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimMacLeod View Post
    @Cryptid people didn't think this film was going to work.

‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Will Be a Flop By Marvel Standards - Motley Fool
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...or-marvel.aspx
    Sure. I read a lot of pieces that raised most of the same points as the article you linked. But most of that speculation is not about whether the film works but whether the audience will be flexible enough to see it. It's a type of reasoning based on an imaginary normal person. There doesn't seem to be much information in this kind of piece, just hunches feeding hunches. And it all plays into this weird fantasy where people want superheroes to remain niche even when they're ruling the cinema. How many billions must these things make before fan-analysts will believe that random people just like this stuff?

Spectacular Member

I will gladly say I NEVER thought GotG was going to be a flop. I go by what I like, and do not underestimate the general public. I think that I think it will be fun, so will the public. They can smell a stinker. This didn't have stink on it. It had good energy and fun and a sense of adventure, and people like that.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Great article. I admit I was among those who thought Marvel was taking a big risk with Guardians of the Galaxy. I thought it would be one of those movies that was either really good or really terrible. I'm glad it was the former. The movie exceeded my expectations in so many ways and it shows that Marvel is capable of doing more than just relying on its traditional lineup of heroes. Just this past month, Rocket Raccoon had the top selling comic. If anyone went back in time even a few months and told them this would happen, nobody would believe it. That only makes Marvel's accomplishment with Guardians all the more impressive. I know the law of averages says Marvel has to slip up at some point. I'm glad it didn't happen with Guardians. Now it's onto Age of Ultron.
    Ant-Man is coming......
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by coby View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Ant-Man is coming......
    Ant-Man will rule your face.

That Iron Fist preview though!!!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coby View Post
    I'm wondering that myself.