Default Favorite Films of 2019

I know we did a favorite films of the decade not too long ago, but with 2019 in the books, I wanted to start a thread for the favorites of 2019. Here's my top 10:

1) Parasite - Quite possibly my best of the decade. Or at least the best I've seen. I don't think I've ever seen a movie navigate as many different genres as this one did so effectively. Act 1 was a comedy, Act 2 was a thriller and Act 3 was a drama, yet the film felt extremely coherent.It's so incredible to see a movie that is so entrenched in Korean culture be so universal to experiences across the globe. I also found the visual storytelling to be incredible. There were times that I found myself not even reading the subtitles, but still being able to fully understand everything happening on screen. There hasn't been a day that's gone by that I haven't thought of this movie and I don't imagine that will change any time soon.

2) JoJo Rabbit - While it didn't quite swing for the fences as aggressively as Parasite, it still managed to hit one out of the park. Anchored by great performances all around, this film managed to gracefully balance the fine line between a laugh out loud comedy and a heartfelt story about how hate is developed and what we can do to move past it. In a lot of ways, it's a film that couldn't take place at any other time, yet it's so timeless. Also, Thomasin McKenzie is a star and I hate that the film's controversy has likely stolen a Supporting Actress nominee away from her.

3) Uncut Gems - God, this movie was an anxiety attack in film form. Adam Sandler was great like everyone is saying, but I attribute a lot of that to the great script. I loved the fast, frenetic pace, which featured long scenes with characters shouting and talking over other characters, which greatly contributed to the anxiety. Probably my favorite aspect of the film is how they portrayed Sandler's character as not being able to quit. There were so many opportunities in the film for him to break even, but that's not what gambling addiction allows.

4) The Lighthouse - I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this movie going in, but I walked away completely bowled over. I wish more of my friends saw it because this is a film that requires discussion (and reddit doesn't quite cut it). This is one of those great films that lends so much to interpretation and doesn't make the misstep of revealing everything in the final minutes. Plus Willem Defoe may have given the best performance I've seen from him. I also appreciated how the film actually took advantage of the black and white and the aspect ratio rather than rely on them as gimmicks.

5) Knives Out - Maybe the most fun I've had at the theater this year. It's so rare to get an original mystery movie these days and this was such a joyful love letter to all of those trappings. I was apprehensive when they more or less revealed what happened before the end of act one, but Johnson managed to create such an interesting narrative that I was on the edge of my seat until the end. I desperately want another film featuring Daniel Craig's Benoit Blanc.

6) Booksmart - When I was 18 years old, Superbad came out and while it wasn't necessarily true to my high school experience, it was a time capsule for adolescence at that time. Now as a thirty year old, Booksmart does the same thing for a different generation. And if I'm being honest, I probably liked this more than Superbad. At the end of the day, it was my favorite type of comedy, which is a comedy that comes with kindness. It's proof that you don't need to be a dick to be funny. (Looking at you, Todd Phillips).

7) The Last Black Man in San Francisco - This is one of those movies that I may have skipped if it weren't for a killer trailer. I have to say, it may be the most beautiful movie I've seen this year, both the visuals and the content. I could see a situation where the same movie is shot in a much flatter manner, but the director took the opportunity to shoot the City of San Francisco in probably the best light I've ever seen it in. I feel bad that this had a summer release as opposed to a Fall/Winter release as it likely would have been in conversation for awards had it been.

8) Rocketman - I do not like musical biopics at all, at least not since Ray and Walk the Line. It seems like since those films, filmmakers rest on the laurels of having music that people like. I was so surprised by this movie as it actually did something creative and didn't just follow the biopic formula. I think it helped that Elton John himself was telling the filmmakers not to sugarcoat his life. A lot of the musical sequences were well conceived and well shot as well. Definitely one of the films on this list that's likely going to be rewatched frequently.

9) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - I really love late stage Tarantino. This is his fourth film that deals with re-litigation of history with him trying to right the wrongs of the past and I'm here for it. What's missing in this film is his typical fast paced style and I was okay with it. This film was uncharacteristically breezy with most of the movie just involving people hanging out, which I think lended to the fairy tale feeling the title evoked. Brad Pitt is also maybe the best that I've ever seen him and DiCaprio absolutely disappeared into his portrayal of Rick Dalton.

10) Midsommar - Like Ari Aster's previous film Hereditary, I had a lot of issues with this movie after leaving the theater, but six months later, I can't stop thinking about it. The imagery in the film is burned into my memories. Florence Pugh was incredible and I look forward to seeing more work from her. I also thought the themes of trauma and loss were very well done throughout the movie and my problems with the ending have evolved since watching it.

There are a couple more that I missed that I'm looking forward to catching later that might alter my list. Didn't see The Farewell, Marriage Story, Ford v. Ferrari, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and a couple of Foreign Films that I've heard great things about. It'll be hard to take any films off this list as I loved every single one. It may end up being a Top 15.
    Last edited by C_Miller; 01-03-2020 at 08:13 AM.

1. KNIVES out
    2.JoJo Rabbit
    3.Endgame
    4.Once upon a time in hollywood
    5.Uncut Gems

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Florence Pugh was incredible and I look forward to seeing more work from her.
    I was surprised to find out she'll be in Black Widow, I wasn't terribly interested otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I was surprised to find out she'll be in Black Widow, I wasn't terribly interested otherwise.
    Same. I've been a fan of the MCU as a whole, but I was happy with Endgame as a conclusion. So, I'm not really anticipating any further MCU movies. But, I'll watch Black Widow and hope Pugh is given a good part.

Astonishing Member

1. Endgame
    2. The Far3well
    3. Ed Astra
    4. Birdbox
    5. Captain Marvel
    6. Dora and the Lost City of Gold (I'm reaching at this point)
    7. SpiderMan
    8. Frozen II

Retired

Of the 2019 movies I saw in 2019, my favourites were (in the order I saw them)--

GLASS
    SHAZAM!
    JOHN WICK 3
    HAPPY DEATH DAY 2
    UNDER THE EIFFEL TOWER
    YESTERDAY
    ONCE UPON A TIME . . . IN HOLLYWOOD
    JOKER
    READY OR NOT

Ranking all the 2019 movies I've seen so far:

1) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    2) Avengers: Endgame
    3) Doctor Sleep
    4) Dolemite is My Name
    5) Captain Marvel
    6) Joker
    7) Us
    8) Pet Sematary
    9) Wonder Woman: Bloodlines
    10) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
    11) The Irishman
    12) Brightburn

Shazam
    Joker
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
    Doctor Sleep
    3 From Hell
    Godzilla: King Of The Monsters

Non Superhero Films and No Particular Order:

1. Ready or Not- Probably the most fun film of the year! Really enjoyed this film.
    2. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World- Perfect way to end this wonderful franchise!
    3. Crawl- Ok, I'm a sucker for Alligator films and this movie was completely ridiculous but in a fun way.
    4. Secret Life of Pets 2- Hilarious
    5. Toy Story 4- They did it!! This film became my favorite Toy Story film.
    6. Rocketman- Very unique take on the life of Elton John and Tarron did a phenomenal job.

Superhero films:
    1. Shazam!!! One of my favorite DC characters and I was worried that WB would screw this up. However, they NAILED it!
    2. Spider-Man: Far From Home- Absolutely loved it!
    3. Avengers:Endgame- was bored the first half of the film but they more than made up for it in the end.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

Not neccesarily in order...
    Triple Frontier
    Dolemite
    Hobbs and Shaw
    Once Upon a time in Hollywood
    Last Black Man in SF
    John Wick 3
    Rambo
    Alladin

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The only things I saw that were actually wide released in 2019-
    Shazam!
    Last Black Man in San Fransisco
    Ad Astra
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-06-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

For My list I am only Posting Movies that came out in Theaters New in 2019, No Direct to video movies or classics showing on the Big Screen like with Fanthom events, but those are Awesome!

My Only exception is Dragon Ball Super: Broly which technically came out at the end of 2018 in Japan but was only widely available for viewing in US Theaters in Jan 2019. So I will count it as a 2019 film.

Here are Mine In Order starting with My Favorite at the Top;

My BIG 3 of 2019!:

1.) Avengers: Endgame!

2.) Godzilla: King of the Monsters!

3.) Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4.) Captain Marvel
    5.) Shazam
    6.) Joker
    7.) Spiderman: Far From Home
    8.) Dragon Ball Super: Broly
    9.) Toy Story 4
    10.) Alita: Battle Angel
    11.) Aladdin
    12.) The Addams Family
    13.) Pokémon Detective Pikachu
    14.) Hellboy
    15.) Tolkien
    16.) X-Men: Dark Phoenix
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!