Page 60 of 75 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

DAMN!!!! They're going hard on that 25th issue. LOVE IT!!!
    And issue 23 was an awesome 10/10 for me.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Yeah those teasers are really awesome. First big milestone issue for Zdarsky (25) and it sounds like it'll set the tone for the rest going forward.

I am so ready and I hope that Zdarsky stays on for at least another 25 issues.

Daredevil by Craig Shepherd:

Daredevil commission by Luis Bustos:

Daredevil (Netflix) + Void = The Devil of the Void (In honor of the third season of DD airing exactly 2 years ago) by Cat Murdock:

so is Fisk still mayor of New York City? what is Matt's job, currently?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is Fisk still mayor of New York City? what is Matt's job, currently?
    Fisk is still Mayor and Matt became a parole worker.

Spectacular Member

Finished Brubaker's run.

A while ago I posted here questioning the general consensus of this run. After having read all of it, I think I agree with that consensus.

Ed Brubaker's run on Daredevil is very good, and I loved my time reading. With that said, there are some problems with it that prevent it from standing shoulder to shoulder with the Miller/Bendis stuff, but not by too much.

For me the cracks started to show in the second half, with the start of the Mr. Fear arc. My experience with Daredevil is Frank Miller, and everything from Kevin Smith to Brubaker, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Fear doesn't show up in any of those books. I know he's a long standing Daredevil character, but once Brubaker brings him in it feels like he kinda shows up out of nowhere. He wants to **** Matt over but we're never really shown why or what his relationship is with Matt. He comes off like a lame Scarecrow.

Next is the introduction of The Hood, who also seemingly comes out of nowhere. He has a quick feud with Mr. Fear ans then just... leaves? My understanding is that he was big Avengers villain at the moment, but everything with him here felt very abrupt.

Then there's arc with the Hand and Lady Bullseye. I like this arc just fine because of the consequences Matt suffers, but it suffers from the same problems as the earlier stories. Some pieces are introduced at strange times and with questionable purpose. Master Izo, Lady Bullseye and her conspirator just kinda sloppily come together. I think this is where the run is a bit separated from Miller/Bendis, as those books just felt tighter with the their later plots.

I don't know how I feel about Dakota North. Kinda hate her because of her homewrecking. Milla Donovan deserved better.

Loved everything else. Brubaker has a good voice for all the characters (Foggy especially I think) Lark and Guadino really create a Season 2 to Maleev's season 1.

8/10

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Finished Brubaker's run.

A while ago I posted here questioning the general consensus of this run. After having read all of it, I think I agree with that consensus.

Ed Brubaker's run on Daredevil is very good, and I loved my time reading. With that said, there are some problems with it that prevent it from standing shoulder to shoulder with the Miller/Bendis stuff, but not by too much.

For me the cracks started to show in the second half, with the start of the Mr. Fear arc. My experience with Daredevil is Frank Miller, and everything from Kevin Smith to Brubaker, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Fear doesn't show up in any of those books. I know he's a long standing Daredevil character, but once Brubaker brings him in it feels like he kinda shows up out of nowhere. He wants to **** Matt over but we're never really shown why or what his relationship is with Matt. He comes off like a lame Scarecrow.

Next is the introduction of The Hood, who also seemingly comes out of nowhere. He has a quick feud with Mr. Fear ans then just... leaves? My understanding is that he was big Avengers villain at the moment, but everything with him here felt very abrupt.

Then there's arc with the Hand and Lady Bullseye. I like this arc just fine because of the consequences Matt suffers, but it suffers from the same problems as the earlier stories. Some pieces are introduced at strange times and with questionable purpose. Master Izo, Lady Bullseye and her conspirator just kinda sloppily come together. I think this is where the run is a bit separated from Miller/Bendis, as those books just felt tighter with the their later plots.

I don't know how I feel about Dakota North. Kinda hate her because of her homewrecking. Milla Donovan deserved better.

Loved everything else. Brubaker has a good voice for all the characters (Foggy especially I think) Lark and Guadino really create a Season 2 to Maleev's season 1.

8/10
    I'm kind of surprised there's been no follow up to Mr. Fear with how overpowered Brubaker made him and how much of a mess he made of Matt's life. He just "won" and got a happy ending.

I wouldn't call Dakota a homewrecker because the home was kind of wrecked by the point she and Matt slept together and she never set out to "steal" him from Milla. It's not like she and Matt became lovers afterwards, it was just really awkward.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't call Dakota a homewrecker because the home was kind of wrecked by the point she and Matt slept together and she never set out to "steal" him from Milla. It's not like she and Matt became lovers afterwards, it was just really awkward.
    Yeah, and maybe this is just me, but you could kinda tell that Milla was never meant to stick around for very long. I mean, very few of DD's girlfriend/spouses really do.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I think we kind of knew that Matt and Milla wouldn't be together too long but Milla did deserve better. I've said this before, the Dakota North incident kind of messed up the Brubaker run for me. It just didn't seem to fit well in many ways and I felt it was kind of a cheap element for Brubaker to add to the story, something from a lesser crime story.

@Crossfit, pretty good summary in general.

The art by Lark and Gaudiano was indeed very good and carried on the atmosphere of Bendis and Maleev.

Daredevil L'Homme Sans Peur cover by Stéphane Perger:

Daredevil by Ricardo Jaime: