Page 66 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Oh boy this was an interesting issue, Elektra looking mighty fine.
    I was so not ready for that reveal, this is gonna be fun to see how it goes. As well as the ending.
    And now it's a long wait ahead until next issue.

This book is going to be even more of a wild ride going forward. I don't care how long it goes for, I'm here for it.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Well, I decided to wait a week to try to buy these issues. That was clearly a mistake since apparently they're sold out. I guess I'm finally switching to digital.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Well, I decided to wait a week to try to buy these issues. That was clearly a mistake since apparently they're sold out. I guess I'm finally switching to digital.
    It's not the worst trade off. I've been doing digital to stay up to date, then getting TPB for what I like to still get that old-school reading experience

Another good issue. Zdarsky really has me wondering how Matt is going to work this out. And that move by Elektra was smooth. When Tony said he lost the bid, I thought either Kingpin or the Stromwyns pulled a fast one. Didn't think it would be Elektra.

Extraordinary Member

Ha. Off topic, but with this issue I’m down to only one more check from spoilers:
    female takes over role slot. That Being Dr Strange
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Will Evans; 12-02-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Mighty Member

Huh. I didn't see that one coming. This adds yet another really interesting layer to an already interesting story. Makes me really curious what the eventual payoffs are going to be here. Twenty-five issues in, and it still feels like Zdarsky is putting pieces in place. I feel like once dominoes start falling this book is going hit another level altogether.

Well this issue is a complete 180 from last week for me. Absolutely fantastic. First, the art was stellar especially from the lackluster art from last week. Chechetto's Elektra is easily my favorite version of her, both in costume and in civilian clothes.I also love how Zdarskyy is writing her.

I am one of those fans that doesn't have great fondness for the Matt/Elektra pairing; however, I really like what Zdarsky is setting up here. My issue with the pairing has always been that Elektra doesn't understand why things like protecting Hell's Kitchen and it's people are important to Matt and often we get a variation on the same "moth to flame" trope. While it's clear that Elektra needs Matt for this plan to defeat the Hand, if while she is Daredevil does her character start to change and feel a connection to the people of Hell's Kitchen. Does she begin to truly understand what Matt and Daredevil mean to the city (which we got some hints of already)? Then I am genuinely excited to see where things can go and think this could potentially elevate Elektra as a character.

Still not a fan of the whole Mike Murdock thing so I am hoping that is serving some purpose (and better not do anything sleazy pretending to be Matt) and I am still annoyed that Matt hasn't revealed his identity to Kirsten. I mean he did it for the DA, but not her?

While I didn't love the way we got here, I can call this an ends justifies the means short of situation at least for now.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    It's not the worst trade off. I've been doing digital to stay up to date, then getting TPB for what I like to still get that old-school reading experience
    I mean, I buy the trade too. I have some vague idea of owning every issue in floppy form at some point, which is my motivation. I'm not remotely close to it (although I think I own every issue of Volume 1 from Miller onward at this point). I also love supporting my local shop. But I had to abandon my pull list because things are financially tough so they didn't save me a copy.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

so is the (spoiler development) supposed to last a good long while or is it supposed to be only a couple of issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so is the (spoiler development) supposed to last a good long while or is it supposed to be only a couple of issues?
    It's meant to be ongoing for a while so at least a years worth of stories I reckon.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    It's meant to be ongoing for a while so at least a years worth of stories I reckon.
    Really? That's pretty interesting.

As interesting as the spoiler is... I really hope we still get to see Tony Stark in some capacity, even though he didn't buy the properties. I was excited about that working partnership and I hope it doesn't just go away.

So I decided to start getting into Daredevil since I’ve never read anything with him as the star. I’ve always heard he was lowkey one of the most consistently great Big 2 characters and I wanted to see for myself. Started with Miller since everyone names him as the guy who revamped modern DD same as how he shaped Batman, his three volume run, Born Again, and Man Without Fear. The switch from when Miller was just on art to when Miller took over art and scripting was crazy. The quality dramatically improved and it felt like a “modern” comic.

Overall I loved Miller’s run, Born Again definitely lived up to the hype. Matt himself was a very flawed yet sympathetic character. He was a dick to Heather and a lot of his personal problems felt self made at times. But man so many great and hard hitting issues. Two of my favs from the ongoing were when Matt tries to convince a kid to trust the law and not murder a drug dealer who got his sibling killed, or the kid who suffered from mental problems and believed he was Daredevil. And of course from Born Again when Kingpin learns the taxi didn’t have a body in it which means Matt is still alive, or when Matt reemerges as Daredevil to face Nuke, A+ scenes. Also was amused by the ongoing antics of Turk the thug Matt kept beating on for info, Miller could be pretty damn funny when he wanted too, Foggy almost becoming a Hitman for Kingpin had me rolling. On to Bendis next!
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-03-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So I decided to start getting into Daredevil since I’ve never read anything with him as the star. I’ve always heard he was lowkey one of the most consistently great Big 2 characters and I wanted to see for myself. Started with Miller since everyone names him as the guy who revamped modern DD same as how he shaped Batman, his three volume run, Born Again, and Man Without Fear. The switch from when Miller was just on art to when Miller took over art and scripting was crazy. The quality dramatically improved and it felt like a “modern” comic.

Overall I loved Miller’s run, Born Again definitely lived up to the hype. Matt himself was a very flawed yet sympathetic character. He was a dick to Heather and a lot of his personal problems felt self made at times. But man so many great and hard hitting issues. Two of my favs from the ongoing were when Matt tries to convince a kid to trust the law and not murder a drug dealer who got his sibling killed, or the kid who suffered from mental problems and believed he was Daredevil. And of course from Born Again when Kingpin learns the taxi didn’t have a body in it which means Matt is still alive, or when Matt reemerges as Daredevil to face Nuke, A+ scenes. Also was amused by the ongoing antics of Turk the thug Matt kept beating on for info, Miller could be pretty damn funny when he wanted too, Foggy almost becoming a Hitman for Kingpin had me rolling. On to Bendis next!
    That's awesome that you are getting in Daredevil, I don't think you are going to be disappointed. Miller is the obvious starting point and Born Again is my favorite story arc in comics. You summed it up well in that Matt is very flawed character and I think that is why he has such a loyal following because the best writers are able to explore those flaws in interesting ways.

While it is in no way my favorite Daredevil story I would actually recommend reading Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil next as it started the relaunch of the Daredevil and begins Volume 2. The events from the story influence much of Bendis' run. And while it is not necessary, you could read Parts of a Hole by David Mack after Guardian Devil as I think its an underrated Daredevil story as well as Daredevil: Yellow by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. Again, neither of them are necessary I just like them as stories. From there you can go into Bendis and I think you will enjoy it. It's my favorite Daredevil run. I know people like to hate on Bendis (and some of it is warranted); however, he really was his best on Daredevil plus Alex Maleev's art is fantastic as he is my favorite DD artist as well. Plus he run then leads in the fantastic run by Brubaker and then, after the minor hiccup of Shadowland, we get the stellar Mark Waid run. Let us know what you think!