Page 35 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

This current run looks awesome. Should I backtrack and pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Yes. And then rebacktrack and pick it up again.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Also The Hand does not make a compelling villain. Just a mindless horde led by a run-of-the-mill demon. You can't tell the type of stories I prefer in DD with The Hand.
    The weird thing is, Miller used the Hand effectively. They were a very menacing threat that hasn't been replicated. I'm not entirely sure why. They had an almost liquid quality to them that let them move like shadows and basically be there one second and gone the next. I don't know what's different, but I don't think any other writer has managed to capture that essence.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Definitely!!! When Zdarsky finishes this run will be placed right up there with the great DD runs.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Well you can't read Brubaker's run if you haven't read Bendis' run.
    And no, Brubaker's run is lower in quality than Bendis. Bendis did some pretty daring things in his run.
    Brubaker stayed simple and not big events occured.
    Two things:
    1. I never implied that you can skip Bendis run and go to Brubaker.
    2. I said that I enjoyed Brubaker's run more than Bendis. That is MY opinion.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The weird thing is, Miller used the Hand effectively. They were a very menacing threat that hasn't been replicated. I'm not entirely sure why. They had an almost liquid quality to them that let them move like shadows and basically be there one second and gone the next. I don't know what's different, but I don't think any other writer has managed to capture that essence.
    I think he was able to use it effectively because it was his idea and worked well when combined with his other new idea's he brought into Daredevil's world including Elektra, Stick and the Chaste. To that end, few writers have been able to effectively write and use Elektra as well and Miller wanted her to stay dead.

With that said, when I reflect on Miller's run the Hand really isn't the first thing that comes to mind for me. First it's Born Again, which doesn't include anything that Miller had introduced in his previous run (Elektra, Stick, the Hand), and after that it would be #181 which is Elektra vs. Bullseye. Over the course of the rest of his original run I felt that the Hand was a bit secondary to the likes of the Kingpin, Elektra and Bullseye which probably helped.

Extraordinary Member

TBH, I've liked the way several writers used The Hand, including Bendis, Brubaker, Millar, and Claremont. Diggle started off well, but soon went off the rails with Shadowland (whether not that was on his shoulders or the shoulders of that of editorial, though, I'm not sure). Every X-Related book after Claremont left turned them into teched out laser-gun toting super ninjas, which I was not a huge fan of. And I really wasn't a fan of the way Soule used them either, especially his depiction of The Beast. I prefer him as an abstract, intangible spirit rather than an actual tangible entity.

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    I think he was able to use it effectively because it was his idea and worked well when combined with his other new idea's he brought into Daredevil's world including Elektra, Stick and the Chaste. To that end, few writers have been able to effectively write and use Elektra as well and Miller wanted her to stay dead.
    Is it weird that I really liked Millar's version? I just liked the fact that she just was who she was, made no apologies for it, and couldn't give two $#!#$ about what you thought of her morality. Supposedly, Millar originally pitched Enemy of the State as an Elektra story, not a Wolverine one. It kinda shows, too.

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    With that said, when I reflect on Miller's run the Hand really isn't the first thing that comes to mind for me. First it's Born Again, which doesn't include anything that Miller had introduced in his previous run (Elektra, Stick, the Hand), and after that it would be #181 which is Elektra vs. Bullseye. Over the course of the rest of his original run I felt that the Hand was a bit secondary to the likes of the Kingpin, Elektra and Bullseye which probably helped.
    Agreed. By comparison, they kind of are secondary antagonists when compared to The Kingpin and Bullseye.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'm thinking of rewatching Daredevil again so i'm building up hype
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-25-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I blame it on the 80s Ninja craze. They were everywhere. Turtles, B-Movies etc. Miller probably couldn't help himself. Glad he didn't use the League of Assassins when he moved on to DC. Yes, so far he's the only writer to make them work.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I blame it on the 80s Ninja craze. They were everywhere. Turtles, B-Movies etc. Miller probably couldn't help himself. Glad he didn't use the League of Assassins when he moved on to DC. Yes, so far he's the only writer to make them work.
    The turtles actually copied Miller. In fact Miller was a huge influence on the original Turtles run.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The turtles actually copied Miller. In fact Miller was a huge influence on the original Turtles run.
    They even incorporated DD's origin in their own.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    They didn't copy, the Turtles were orignal a fantasy, a raving from 2 friends Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird to make a parody comics.
    Use real animas instead of people dressing up as one (Batman).
    Have ninja enemies, the foot clan (while DD has the Hand).
    There many refferences in the Turtles to popular comics.
    Contrary to DD or Batman, the Turtle keepped a humorous tone event if the story are quite dark.

Don't forget being taught by Splinter (a.k.a. a little Stick)

ETA: Oh yes, and this: https://imgur.com/gallery/HDzl0
    Last edited by DigiCom; 06-26-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    They even incorporated DD's origin in their own.
    Dude, I'll always LOVE their homage/tribute for Frank Miller's Daredevil

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Would you get away with an origin (Turtles) like that nowadays? The only things missing seem to be a Stan Lee cameo and the boy referring to himself as Matt. Also where DD fights the Hand the Turtles fight the Foot. DD fought Batman and Batman fought the Turtles *head spinning*

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Don't forget being taught by Splinter (a.k.a. a little Stick)

ETA: Oh yes, and this: https://imgur.com/gallery/HDzl0
    I love this