Page 32 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/comic-industry-mourns-denny-oneil/

Sad to hear about the death of Denny O'Neill. He wrote one of my favourite Daredevil runs.
    Sad loss, indeed.

Really liked his team-up with David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/comic-industry-mourns-denny-oneil/

Sad to hear about the death of Denny O'Neill. He wrote one of my favourite Daredevil runs.
    I haven't read his run, but I heard it's a somewhat poor run. That's why it never got any omnibus or ultimate collection. Only one story of his run is collected.

^^^I'll bet that one story that was collected is the Secret Wars II tie-in where the Beyonder returns Matt's eyesight (albeit, temporarily).

Really liked how the team of Denny/Shooter & Mazz depicted Matt's sightseeing tour, while a passerby accused him of being a tourist (LOL):

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Francesco Francavilla:
    "Grew up reading lots of Dennis O'Neil's books - some of my fave Batman story arcs ever were his. He will be sorely missed...
    Goodbye, Denny, thank you for the thousands hours of entertaining, captivating stories."

I binged the Zdarsky run and its another winner. I'm very excited for the next stoty arc.

Anyone know the reading order for the Brubaker run?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-15-2020 at 02:52 PM.

DAREDEVIL sketch by TIM SHINN:

Daredevil & Kingpin by Artyom Toplin:

Frank Miller:
    Rest In Peace Denny O’Neil. I first became aware of him reading the Batman comics he made with Neil Adams. These stories opened up the wider world of classic adventure for me.
    I later had the pleasure of working with Denny from the very beginnings of my career when he was my editor on my run with Daredevil and then The Dark Knight. Learned so much from him and will miss him greatly.

Manwithoutfear.com:
    Worked on so many great comics. Edited DAREDEVIL and also wrote DD after the Elektra Saga. Some of my favorite DD stories with David Mazzucchelli and William Johnson.

[

Let's now hope Marvel will put out a Dennis O'Neil DD Omnibus and his full run in tpb as well.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I suspect they'll just do the Epic Collection with him, but it would be nice if they now make it a priority. He's sandwiched between Miller and Miller essentially (with Nocenti past that) so he tends to get overshadowed, but I thought he did a great job stepping up to the plate after Miller and has some really fun stories in there.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Spectacular Member

Just read Parts of a Hole in one sitting and I loved it. After reading Miller and Smith's issues, I really like how small and straightforward it is. Matt forms a relationship with a woman that gets complicated because that's what being a superhero is. Echo is also a cool character. It's a very pretty story too. Joe Quesada goes even harder here with David Mack than he did with Kevin Smith (imo). I think this is a couple notches better than Guardian Devil.

I enjoyed it and it made me wonder why I don't hear about as much when people talk about Miller, Smith, Bendis etc

I'm about to start Bendis' run now so I guess I'll find out ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfist View Post
    Just read Parts of a Hole in one sitting and I loved it. After reading Miller and Smith's issues, I really like how small and straightforward it is. Matt forms a relationship with a woman that gets complicated because that's what being a superhero is. Echo is also a cool character. It's a very pretty story too. Joe Quesada goes even harder here with David Mack than he did with Kevin Smith (imo). I think this is a couple notches better than Guardian Devil.

I enjoyed it and it made me wonder why I don't hear about as much when people talk about Miller, Smith, Bendis etc

I'm about to start Bendis' run now so I guess I'll find out ☺
    Glad you liked Parts of a Hole and I agree on it being better than Guardian Devil. For how much misery Matt goes through it's nice to see him genuinely smile every once in awhile.

To answer your question around it not being mentioned as often I think it has to do with the fact that it's short and sandwiched between Smith and Bendis' run. And as I said previously, while I am not a huge fan of Guardian Devil it was credited with jump-starting the character plus Kevin Smith has the name recognition. Then we get Bendis which for me personally is my favorite run of not just Daredevil, but in all comics (though Born Again is my favorite arc). Then you get Brubaker right on the heels of that.

Also, Daredevil is one of the most consistently written comics out there, so it's easier for good stories like Parts of a Hole to fall between the cracks. I've said a few times on here how I feel Daredevil: Redemption is so underrated that if was a different character it would be more well known.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Parts of a Hole is one of my favorite Daredevil stories overall. It does tend to get overshadowed, but it's just a beautiful story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I'll chime in regarding Parts of a Hole. A nice story, the art seemed a little more refined than Guardian Devil and Echo is easy to like. I was a little sad at the end that the relationship/team-up between Matt and Echo didn't last.

Daredevil by Brett Booth: