Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1113
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Daredevil by George Quadros:

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Hey Panic. I hope you picked up the next volume. If you enjoyed Brubaker, then I recommend Bendis' run if you haven't already read it and later Waid's and Soule's runs.
    I did pick up volumes 2 & 3 of Brubaker's run, and they were good, but didn't reach the heights of The Devil in Cell Block D for me, though I did really like the Hand arc that finished the run. I read the first two volumes of Bendis' DD run years ago, and whilst I found it gripping and well done I don't find myself going back to reread it much. I like DD when there is a martial arts component to his stories, but too much real-world stuff like drug-dealers and mafia hoods just isn't my thing, and I tend to find Matt's romantic relationships with non-powered women too gloomy, so generally DD just isn't for me. It's not that I don't think it's good, it's just not what I'm looking for most of the time. The Man without Fear origin retelling by Miller and JRjr is one of my favourite Marvel books, though.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I LOVE the Mr Fear ark in Brubakers run, yet it always seems to be the bit people aren’t the biggest fans of.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I LOVE the Mr Fear ark in Brubakers run, yet it always seems to be the bit people aren’t the biggest fans of.
    Well it certainly kept me interested - I read the whole thing in one sitting. But it's really more of a mystery or detective story than a combat-orientated super-hero epic, and that's why I'm not sure how much I'll reread it. It's well done, the whole run is quality, but even now, just after I read it two days ago, I can't remember much about it. Of course I am getting old, and my memory is kind of flaky now anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I did pick up volumes 2 & 3 of Brubaker's run, and they were good, but didn't reach the heights of The Devil in Cell Block D for me, though I did really like the Hand arc that finished the run. I read the first two volumes of Bendis' DD run years ago, and whilst I found it gripping and well done I don't find myself going back to reread it much. I like DD when there is a martial arts component to his stories, but too much real-world stuff like drug-dealers and mafia hoods just isn't my thing, and I tend to find Matt's romantic relationships with non-powered women too gloomy, so generally DD just isn't for me. It's not that I don't think it's good, it's just not what I'm looking for most of the time. The Man without Fear origin retelling by Miller and JRjr is one of my favourite Marvel books, though.
    I suspect you've read Frank Miller's original run on Daredevil and if so it probably was to your liking what with the martial arts component in the Hand and the Chaste. You may also find Denny O'Neill's run appealing what with Daredevil traveling to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Well it certainly kept me interested - I read the whole thing in one sitting. But it's really more of a mystery or detective story than a combat-orientated super-hero epic, and that's why I'm not sure how much I'll reread it. It's well done, the whole run is quality, but even now, just after I read it two days ago, I can't remember much about it. Of course I am getting old, and my memory is kind of flaky now anyway...
    That's Brubaker for you - the detective/crime noir style.

Charles Soule's run is one of my favourite DD runs. It's a slow start but then it hits you for six. I definitely felt a Miller and O'Neill vibe at times.

Daredevil by Luca Maresca:

I suspect you've read Frank Miller's original run on Daredevil and if so it probably was to your liking what with the martial arts component in the Hand and the Chaste.
    Yes, I loved the Stick/Hand stuff. Liked Janson's art, too.
    You may also find Denny O'Neill's run appealing what with Daredevil traveling to Japan.
    I think I read some of that back when it first came out, but it's been a while..

That's Brubaker for you - the detective/crime noir style.

Charles Soule's run is one of my favourite DD runs. It's a slow start but then it hits you for six. I definitely felt a Miller and O'Neill vibe at times.[/QUOTE]

I bought volume 2 and 3 of the Brubaker run. Its pretty cheap on comixology.

DAREDEVIL #25 COMICXPOSURE EXCLUSIVE 2nd Printing Variant by TODD NAUCK:

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Brubaker's Mr. Fear ark remains one of my favorites, to the point where I believe more should be done with Mr. Fear as a result. If there's one complaint I have with Daredevil is that the writers limit Daredevil's rogues gallery by playing with the same villains (Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand). Considering the way Brubaker elevated Mr. Fear, he should be one of Daredevil's greatest foes.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Brubaker's Mr. Fear ark remains one of my favorites, to the point where I believe more should be done with Mr. Fear as a result. If there's one complaint I have with Daredevil is that the writers limit Daredevil's rogues gallery by playing with the same villains (Kingpin, Bullseye, the Hand). Considering the way Brubaker elevated Mr. Fear, he should be one of Daredevil's greatest foes.
    It’s a tricky one with Mr Fear. To bring him back might negate what Brubaker did and his “win” wouldn’t be as meaningful as it was.

That being said - it’s long since time DD got his revenge for all of that.

I finished reading Brubaker's run and I liked it. Daredevil season 1 showrunner Steven DeKnight talked about adapting the Return of the King before. So I'm curious to see what his take on it is. I dug the Mr. Fear arc and I'm curious to see him get a shot at adaptation. Him returning in the comics could be cool. Maybe Zdarsky would get to it before he leaves?

I liked the infidelity arc with Dakota. Lily is a weaker aspect but I think the first part of his run tends to be weaker than the rest to me.

I liked his take on Danny which is funny because I'm not that big a fan of his Immortal Iron Fist run. Maybe I just wished he stuck around longer? Danny is a character I wanna like more than I do.

The Big Ben arc was fun. It reminded me of a tv plot. The moment where someone asked if Milla and Ben were related made me laugh. On the TVTROPES page someone suggested/theorized Milla and Ben should be related.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-30-2020 at 09:47 AM.

I am new to daredevil and I have a few questions. I picked up zdarskys first trade and I was wondering a.few things, how did kingpin become the mayor and how was daredevil once the mayor.

I guess I'm answering my own questions as this does not seem like a good jumping on point. Before zdarsky what is the nearest jumping on point. I have downloaded (I know I shouldn't but it's really expensive buying a character right from the beginning) miller, bendis, and brubaker runs and will reading all of those being me right up to date?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I am new to daredevil and I have a few questions. I picked up zdarskys first trade and I was wondering a.few things, how did kingpin become the mayor and how was daredevil once the mayor.

I guess I'm answering my own questions as this does not seem like a good jumping on point. Before zdarsky what is the nearest jumping on point. I have downloaded (I know I shouldn't but it's really expensive buying a character right from the beginning) miller, bendis, and brubaker runs and will reading all of those being me right up to date?
    I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure it’s during Soul’s run that both Kingpin becomes mayor and DD has his short stint as mayor. The foundation for Mayor Fisk is laid in one of the civil war 2 tie ins (I think) but I don’t remember which one.

Either way, speaking from personal experience, I’d argue that Zdarsky’s run is a perfectly fine jumping on point. It’ll explain the stuff you absolutely need to know to understand what’s going on.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 12-30-2020 at 05:26 PM.