Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Arrow From speed demon to whirling dervish: Ricochet Rita / Spiral Appreciation (2020)

Mojoverse, the dimension of the Spineless-Ones, is a twisted warped sick place, with a dangerous tendency to history repeating and loops.

One of these saddest loops is Rita/Spiral, whose story's got some sort of Greek tragedy's quality in its ironic fate.

Imagine you're a carefree happy-go-lucky self-sufficent stuntwoman, who lives only for the following kamikaze scene and your beloved dog and parrot. Suddenly an alien crosses your path, then your wild life goes truly wild and your loyalty, courage and recklessness cause you going to pieces...and pursuing in a neverending cycle your old innocent self. So burning rancor and cold violence are your only drives from now on.

Poor wounded thing.

RITA "RICOCHET" WAYWORD

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 120 lbs?
    Skin: White
    Eyes: Brown
    Hair: Black

SPIRAL

Height: 5' 10"
    Weight: 162 lbs
    Skin: Reddish
    Eyes: Yellow (cornea and iris)
    Hair: Silver
    Unusual Features: Six arms (one fully cybernetic), three fingers in hands and feet

Spell Casting:
    Spiral has powerful mystical abilities. With gestures or dance moves, she can teleport herself and numerous people across great distances. Teleportation and her more powerful spells require complicated dance moves. Some of Spiral's spell-casting powers can be triggered through small hand gestures of her many hands. Spiral often incorporates knives and swords into more complicated spells. Spiral can also disguise herself through her magic. With Mojo's aid or specific astral events, Spiral can open gateways between dimensions and travel through time. Currently, her trans-realities powers have been cancelled by Mojo, and she can only teleport on Earth-616 where Mojo dumped her.

Abilities:
    Spiral is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and sword fighter. Her six arms are fully coordinated, giving her great dexterity and athletic ability. However, Spiral will often lose to less powerful opponents due to tendencies of overconfidence, toying with her foe for too long, or becoming distracted. To cast many, if not all of her spells, Spiral's arms must be free and unhindered and, in some cases, she must be free to dance as well.

Spiral demonstrated highly developed skills in cybernetics and genetic manipulation which she has used to turn humans into powerful cyborgs at her Body Shoppe. Most notable include Lady Deathstrike and the cybernetic Reavers, who have since been "upgraded" by Donald Pierce.

Origins: Longshot #1-6 (1985-86) + X-Factor Annual #7 (1992)

[Extracts from Marvel Database]

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Cute pic of Rita and wow that Spiral ... pretty sexy

Ty for remaking this thread! What an awesome character, the complexity of her story just adds to the charm
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I really want there to be a resurgence of the body shoppe where mutant just go
    And mod their bodily appearance tf OUT!

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Here's hoping she gets some appearances in 2020! I liked her in MMX but there wasn't enough of her in 2019
    Make Good Art

BANNED

Uncanny X-Men #256 Dec 1989
    "The Key that Breaks the Locke!"
    In Hong Kong, Matsu'o Tsurayaba approaches the Mandarin with an offer of
    an alliance between his organization and the Hand, a ruthless clan of assassins.
    Matsu'o's deal is for the Hand to help the Mandarin build an empire unparalleled by any in the past,
    in exchange for gainful employment in its service.
    To begin their alliance, Matsu'o offers a gift; that of an ultimate assassin.
    This assassin is Psylocke.

What follows next is a surrealistic "dream" sequence as Betsy relives details of her life,

undergoes a physical transformation from British

to Japanese at the hands of the Body Shoppe with nightmarish versions of Spiral and Mojo causing the transformation

and her being set against her teammates, who she murders in order to obtain each of the Mandarin's ten rings.
    In the end, Psylocke defeats the Mandarin himself who takes the form of Slaymaster
    and it is revealed that the "dream" was a sensory deprivation brainwashing experiment
    that the Hand used to finalize their assimilation of Psylocke into their organization.
    In the end, she returns the rings to the Mandarin, to whom she pledges her undying loyalty.

NOTE: First appearance of the ninja Psylocke.

Story by Chris Claremont. Art by Jim Lee and Scott Williams.
    Last edited by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear; 01-03-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Cute pic of Rita and wow that Spiral ... pretty sexy
    I like Spiral's traditional outfit with boots and helmet, but she sure seemed so magical and savage just wearing that piece of fabric, and I wish it lasted more than that first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I really want there to be a resurgence of the body shoppe where mutant just go
    And mod their bodily appearance tf OUT!
    I too love the notion of the Body Shoppe and I'd love to have it back.

Hello, everyone !
    Spiral is one of these X-Characters that I just find so visually appealing, and yet I know very little about . What are some Spiral-focused issues for me to catch up on her backstory? ( Will read the recommended ones on the OP, but I was looking for some other issues as well) Also, has she apparead on Krakoa yet?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Fall-From-Grace View Post
    Hello, everyone !
    Spiral is one of these X-Characters that I just find so visually appealing, and yet I know very little about . What are some Spiral-focused issues for me to catch up on her backstory? ( Will read the recommended ones on the OP, but I was looking for some other issues as well) Also, has she apparead on Krakoa yet?
    Thanks in advance
    She's not a mutant, so she wouldn't be welcome on Krakoa. Her last appearance saw her regain her full powers, so she's probably in some corner of time and space plotting something or experimenting on living subjects.

Some of my favorite Spiral appearances:

Longshot #1-6 (origin & early days)
    Uncanny X-Men #205 (creates Lady Deathstrike)
    Uncanny X-Men #209 (manipulates Rachel Grey)
    Wolverine #51-53 (teams up with Wolverine & Mystique)
    X-Factor Annual #7 (expands on Spiral's origin)
    Mr. and Mrs. X #7-10 (Gambit and Rogue help Spiral regain her soul that had been stolen by Mojo)

Some of my favorite scans:

Spiral_010.jpg

Spiral_019.jpg

Spiral_021.jpg

Totally agree to what Nyssane posted.

I would only add another essential story: TNM Annual #2 (1986), where Spiral and Mojo corrupt the New Mutants and Psylocke in the Wildways. SO GOOD AND BLOODCURDLING.

I mainly remember Spiral from COTA and MVC2, I find it interesting she was chosen for those games considering her relative obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Oheao View Post
    I mainly remember Spiral from COTA and MVC2, I find it interesting she was chosen for those games considering her relative obscurity.
    She wasn't very obscure in the 90's.

If I remember correctly, she was the first female action figure released in the X-Men waves that wasn't Storm, Rogue, or Phoenix, and definitely the first lady villain. Plus she was in X:TAS and tons of trading card sets. I wouldn't say she was anymore obscure than, say, Silver Samurai, who was also featured in those games.

Even as a kid, Spiral was my favorite character in those fighting games. I'm shocked MvC2 hasn't been ported to the Switch yet as I would buy it in a heartbeat just for her.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oheao View Post
    That's where I first grew to like her. Her character designs and animations were just so cool
    Make Good Art

I love Spiral. My pet peeve though is when artists draw her with four fingers and a thumb. Even the few toys of her do it. Ugh.. I’m no artist, but if I was getting paid to draw a character I wasn’t all that familiar with, I’d do my research. The problem now is so many artists have done it wrong, they’d get it wrong even with some quick research.

Totally agree. Well, we know now that Spiral had four fingers when she was still full human as Rita, but Arize changed many of her traits: three fingers, silver hair, four extra arms, reddish skin, yellow eyes...

I'm annoyed too when artists make this kind of mistakes. Actually, I thought that Marvel would provide them online updated character files to work with. It's 2020, for Mojo's sake, there's no need of a 5 pounds Official Handbook of the MU!

Also, her bionic arms change as well. Art Adams created her with one and a half bionic left arms. Sometimes she has only one bionic arm. Sometimes she has a half. I just chalk it up to her being from different points in her timestream. Maybe Arize didn’t do it all at once (unless it was shown and I didn’t read or remember). This panels shows a Spiral with only half a bionic arm and a future one with four...

76E85C5B-C72E-4FDB-BCC6-7FCEEBE3951D.jpg

How to I make the image bigger when I attach it?.