Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    To this day I still think that while the use of a Mother Box upped Vic's power levels it was a missed opportunity to give him some unique tech of his own to strengthen his own mythos. And since it's Apokoliptan tech he's attached to he inevitably ends up as a deus ex machina every time there's a story centered around them. Granted we don't know the context of this pic or his overall role in the story, but I don't think the Mother Box aspect of Cyborg is used in interesting ways.
    Your insight lays to bare a very funny point. They keep upgrading power, but at the price of stunting his growth! The moment DC gets rid of the head guy that personally is responsible for Victor's predicament then I would consider reading DC again.

It’s going to take someone who rejects the notion of Vic being a non-wishfulfilment character, similar to what David Walker did.

The connection to Apokolips and the Mother Box was an attempt to make him a more pivotal character, and ironically I think it's done more to hurt Cyborg than anything else.

I thought Young Justice did well with the alien tech aspect. Haven't finished the third season yet but I don't believe Cyborg was ever ripped apart there.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I thought Young Justice did well with the alien tech aspect. Haven't finished the third season yet but I don't believe Cyborg was ever ripped apart there.
    Young Justice Outsiders was a rather pleasant showing for Vic.

Sure was. Stuff like this and Doom Patrol are why Vic has so many fans. It's not the comics as much as the media adaptations. Hell, I think the TTGO! version has seen more character work than the comics. My kids love that show, and I can tell you Vic's favorite foods, song, and all kinds of other traits and quirks and hobbies, which are shown consistently across seasons. As ridiculous and stupid as that show is, the character work goes surprisingly deep.

And Young Justice handled him well. Maybe not perfectly, but damn well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The connection to Apokolips and the Mother Box was an attempt to make him a more pivotal character, and ironically I think it's done more to hurt Cyborg than anything else.
    I agree and, honestly, I think it needs to be retconned back to how it was before the New 52. Vic was a much more poignant character when it was simply Promethium enhancements that his dad had access to that he used to save him.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Yeah. I liked what they did with him. I even liked the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I agree and, honestly, I think it needs to be retconned back to how it was before the New 52. Vic was a much more poignant character when it was simply Promethium enhancements that his dad had access to that he used to save him.
    I don’t know about taking him that far back. To do that would relegate him to being a simple machine. It’s a dated concept that’s too limited and allows comic writers off the hook. Currently he’s a blend of man and technology. It’s on these writers to just be forward thinking with regard to the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    . And Young Justice handled him well. Maybe not perfectly, but damn well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yeah. I liked what they did with him. I even liked the design.
    Agreed about Young Justice: Outsiders. Also probably one of the truer to form adaptions of Vic from the comics, even if a lot of people thought his daddy issues and bad attitude went on a bit too long.

I also found it funny how Khary Payton characters kept hovering around him. Like he couldn't let the character go .

Payton not voicing the character but doing all these other ones really threw me off actually. Took half the season before I started to get comfortable with the new voice actor.

And I agree with Iconic; there's really no purpose to removing the upgrades from Vic now. It's not going to make DC treat him better as a character, it's not going to add anything. All that would do is remove story options from him and make him a little more limited.

Instead of rewinding things (one of DC's most common, annoying, and damaging habits) I say push forward. Vic's a Fourth World demigod now. How is there not a line of creators wanting to do something with that? Vic's now a powerhouse on par with Superman! There is literally nothing you can't do with Vic now. Make that work for him, don't just turn the clock back.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Payton not voicing the character but doing all these other ones really threw me off actually. Took half the season before I started to get comfortable with the new voice actor.
    The most hilarious part is when he voices one of Vic's buddies on the football team with his normal Cyborg voice. He even gets to say Booyah .

I thought *that* guy was going to be Vic at first, actually. Then names got dropped and I realized Weisman tricked me!

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

I don’t know about taking him that far back. To do that would relegate him to being a simple machine. It’s a dated concept that’s too limited and allows comic writers off the hook. Currently he’s a blend of man and technology. It’s on these writers to just be forward thinking with regard to the concept.
    Dude, what good has the Apokolips connection done for Vic? Really? Plus, it's not like he was "low-tech" back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Dude, what good has the Apokolips connection done for Vic? Really? Plus, it's not like he was "low-tech" back then.
    What good has allowing Superman to fly instead of simply leaping tall buildings in a single bound done? What good has making Batman into “Batgod” done?

Nothing is wrong with those advances. Now if DC didn’t do anything with them it would seem a waste. If they didn’t develop those attributes then it would be senseless. But that’s not what they did. They pushed ahead with the advances and enriched the character. They simply cared to follow through.

What good will altering things to where Wonder Woman is the first superhero do? What about rolling back Hal Jordan’s upgraded lantern? Anybody think DC won’t follow through on what that means for the character?

I see no reason to scrap the advances to Cyborg. Scrap the writers/editorial/head honchos who are too limited to develop him.

I see what Bryan Hill is doing with Batman & The Outsiders. It’s a team book yet it feels like every character gets developed respectfully. New abilities are introduced and showcased. A great writer can do that. A great writer can write more than Batman. Sadly there’s only one of him.
    Last edited by Iconic; 02-28-2020 at 05:55 PM.