Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Sandman Universe Presents: Hellblazer

A little late but I did
    supricingly good
    basically for all terms and purposes the old Constantine from the Vertigo era has replaced the current one

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Is this worth picking up?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Is this worth picking up?
    I thought it was a good intro to Spurrier's run on Constantine. The Sandman imprint is doing a Constantine title and Spurrier is helming it after his run on the Dreaming.

Spirrier has done a few issues of Hellblazer before so if you like him and his work its worth a shot.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I thought it was a great start, I loved how it touched on all the past iterations(even the film!).

Glad it's getting a positive reception. I certainly haven't been a fan of the Johnny Superhero iteration we've been getting since the New 52.

Picked it up on a lark, and I'm glad I did.

Constantine is such a wonderfully odd duck of a character - created to firmly exist within the "mainstream" DCU (I mean, he's in the Crisis On Infinite Earths, people... it doesn't get any more mainstream than that), he nevertheless managed to star in a comic that ran for 300 freakin' issues despite being far, far away from all that "sparkly" nonsense. Still and all, when he officially returned to the DCU proper right before the New 52, I welcomed it as an interesting new chapter in the character's existence.

And then they had to go and make him a regular member of a Justice League book. Oy.

JC, in my opinion works best when he's bouncing off the zany four-color madness of the DCU, not when he's immersed in it. The longer he hangs around a bunch of goofballs in tights, the dumber both of them look. He can and should be consulted in a crisis, but mostly he should be left to his own devices, 'cause he's Really Bad News.

And he should be in London 90% of the time.

So yeah, I liked the special. Like Force Awakens, it was a much-needed reset. Now let's see if Spurrier can go all Last Jedi on us an subvert our expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    basically for all terms and purposes the old Constantine from the Vertigo era has replaced the current one
    I hope this means that they did away with him being some type of sorcerer. I never liked that change to his character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I hope this means that they did away with him being some type of sorcerer. I never liked that change to his character.
    He is able to exercise just a bit of Jedi-like mind control, at least. He communicates with the spirit realm and with demons, of course, as always. He knows enough incantations and spells to hang out in the world he hangs out in, but he claims that he isn't a part of the "flashy" stuff. As in the Hellblazer days, his greatest "power" is his attitide of arrogance, being an SOB, and lacking enough empathy to stop himself from hurting people around him. All in all, I really liked the story. It did a good job of bringing John to the 2019 UK - clean on the surface, but ugly underneath.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I've got it, hope to read it this weekend! Glad to read it's a better situation than the past several years.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

This run made IGN's best comic book series of 2020 list

https://www.ign.com/articles/best-co...ok-series-2020

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post

Good for them.

It was great while it lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post

NOW DC promotes the book... sigh, what a loss it is that we didn’t get a long run on Hellblazer from Spurrier.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I don't really follow sales charts, but it's hard to believe this book would do any worse than the previous attempts at a Constantine title.
    After The Dreaming, it was the best of the Sandman Universe imprint.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES