Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea that was my idea, someone entirely new and rooted in Cyborg's own mythos. Maybe you could mix your two directions, as the Nightshine Dimension can easily be revealed to be just one of nearly infinite locations within the Digitalverse. That would certainly give the wider concept more legitimacy and it streamlines the mythos.

The legacy could be an incorporeal freedom fighter taken under Vic's wing who becomes a younger brother of sorts. I don't know what powers they'd have, maybe something relating to weaponized music or summoning of some kind?
    Well, if the sidekick is an incorporeal being from a digital world, their powers are basically going to be "super hacking." They'd be able to access data networks, control drones, stuff like that. Maybe you could say that they can screw with the electric signals in the brain, given them a limited/specific kind of mind control. But without a body, options for powers are going to be kinda limited. I'll be honest, I like the idea of a digital being in Vic's supporting cast but the concept is likely too limited for a sidekick.

If the sidekick has a physical body and is from the Nightshine....you could do any number of things. Pretty much every troupe from 80's era fiction seems viable for the Nightshine. Weaponized sound/music seems a little on the nose to me but would most certainly be fitting. We've seen (in TTGO! Nightshine) cybernetics (though not as extensive or powerful as Vic's), shape shifting, some crazy Transformers stuff, anime-style fighting and super jumping and giant guns and robot swords.....you could have the sidekick with nearly any power, but it should be something big and flashy and ridiculous; the "louder" the better. I've got a fondness for the "unifying fields" power; manipulating gravity and the electromagnetic spectrum and the nuclear forces.....tons and tons of stuff you can do there, yet it's a powerset almost nobody has. I think if the sidekick is from the Nightshine, their specific power/s isn't as important as ensuring the overall aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't think Cyborg should have a sidekick as yet, using sports terms he is at the early mvp stage of his career.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, and I do think that the effort needs to be put on Vic and establishing his "post-angst" status quo and setting more than forcing a sidekick into things. But I think if the goal is to establish a firm mythos around Vic then it's never too early to start laying the groundwork for the sidekick. You could introduce the character into Vic's setting without them immediately going into the sidekick role, which would give readers time to get familiar with the new addition to the cast and get a feel for the character.

And if we're treating Vic's shift to the JLA as him "hitting the big pro leagues" then getting saddled with a sidekick, just as his career is taking off and he's starting to sell some Nikes (to stick with the metaphor), would potentially add some quality conflict and drama.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

If Cyborg is in the 'early MVP phase of his career', he needs to be leading his own team where he is undisputedly the man and not shafted to push another character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    If we're borrowing rogues from other character's for Cyborg I'd use:

Ultra Humanite (both he and Cyborg represent different versions of trans humanism)

Dr. Cyber( WW hasn't used her in years)

Grail
    I would say go deeper. Eve Ewing used Midnight's Fire-who NO ONE was using in 20+ years in Ironheart.

I would say look older and revamp a villian that you KNOW no one is going to touch.
    Then again who expected Dc to dig up Bloodsport for a movie.

You could take someone like Exxy or....crap, what was her name, Narcissus or something? But they're not exactly built to be sidekicks and, quite frankly, probably wouldn't fit the mold well enough to last. Maybe it could be done but I'm thinking it wouldn't stick.
    Black Narcissus seeing who she works for would be taken up by Mr Terrific.

Exxy-seeing that he has broadcast he's Cyborg's little buddy-that is a magnet for villains to come after him.

And in my version of Cyborg (which that pic is based on) Cyborg is Dr Who and Exxy is the companion with them traveling around due to his Motherbox.

I think I would ask are we looking for a sidekick to fit a Young Justice or Teen Titan representation for Cyborg or just one in general?

Would you want one linked to someone else?

I can dig up some folks.

Tattoo Man does have a son.
    Steel does have an unused nephew
    Black Lightning has an unused nephew
    Perry White is missing a son.

I love this, didn't know you were an artist.
    Yes. And all this fan dream casting has me digging up WAY too many drawing ideas.

I had Cyborgirl in my version of Legion of Doom.

I just wish I could find my Vixen America's Next Top Model drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think I would ask are we looking for a sidekick to fit a Young Justice or Teen Titan representation for Cyborg or just one in general?

I think we need a sidekick who fills a fairly classic sidekick role (outside of perhaps having different powers), who is completely Cyborg's, and not a representative of the Titans, New Gods, League, or any other franchise or IP. If the goal is to build up and establish Vic as his own hero and make him a major player and legit A-lister, then he needs a mythos that stands on its own. We can borrow a little here or there, steal a villain or supporting character to help things feel more familiar, but something as major as a sidekick should originate with Vic, not originate from another IP.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think villains and a supporting cast are more desirable than a sidekick. I'd really love a good supporting cast - steady love interest, maybe coworkers or someone who he shares a hobby group with. Some normies, non-hero types. And a lot of people don't care for sidekicks, anyway. Most of the heroes/IPs that have them (especially lasting sidekicks) started with them back prior to the bronze age, in a rather different era. And sidekicks don't tend to make it into the live-action, big budget movies like villains and lovers do.

But, on the sidekick notion, since it's being discussed - a large number of the sidekicks are functionally the children of the hero. Most of the Robins (though I liked Tim better when he wasn't), all of Green Arrow's sidekicks. Garth. Wallace ...kinda. Wally and Kara were not originally sidekicks, primarily, they were spinoffs (I can say that definitively I do not consider silver-age Wally a sidekick, as he worked alone far more often than with Barry, and I read all of those - can't say so much for Kara, as I read less of her in that era). And even Wally, when retconned into full-on sidekick, had Barry cast in a paternal role. Is anyone at all here considering a kid sidekick? And if so, would you have Victor in a paternal role or or not? Bit brother or uncle-ish? Would the parents be involved? Would this be a long-lost relative?

I'm not fond of adult sidekicks. I think adult heroes should regard each other as equals. Don't want a Sky High vibe on classification there. It's rarely respectful to the sidekick.

Then there's Hal's pal Itty or Booster's ally Skeets, for the less conventional, which seems to be more the flavor favored here. Neither was really my thing.

I definitely agree a sidekick should originate with Vic, but I feel the same about supporting characters and villains.

EDIT: I take back the bit about reading every pre-COIE Wally appearance. I bailed on the original Teen Titans at some point. But I'm pretty sure he wasn't typically assisting Barry in those stories.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-26-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Yes. And all this fan dream casting has me digging up WAY too many drawing ideas.

Wow, I would love to see it.

And I've been thinking that maybe it's time Vic got a job . That could serve as a backdrop for bringing in more supporting characters away from the STAR Labs crew.

Also a base all of his own. Have like a game room and an ara we can Vic building things or working on stuff in his spare time. I was never a fan of Vic living in STAR Labs and it would be good to get him away from there some.

I would say go deeper. Eve Ewing used Midnight's Fire-who NO ONE was using in 20+ years in Ironheart.

I would say look older and revamp a villian that you KNOW no one is going to touch.
    Then again who expected Dc to dig up Bloodsport for a movie.

Black Narcissus seeing who she works for would be taken up by Mr Terrific.

Exxy-seeing that he has broadcast he's Cyborg's little buddy-that is a magnet for villains to come after him.

And in my version of Cyborg (which that pic is based on) Cyborg is Dr Who and Exxy is the companion with them traveling around due to his Motherbox.

I can dig up some folks.

Tattoo Man does have a son.
    Steel does have an unused nephew
    Black Lightning has an unused nephew
    Perry White is missing a son.

Midnight Fire was so obscure I thought he was a brand new character, I didn't know he was character already until I googled him.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborguy View Post
    And I've been thinking that maybe it's time Vic got a job . That could serve as a backdrop for bringing in more supporting characters away from the STAR Labs crew.

Also a base all of his own. Have like a game room and an ara we can Vic building things or working on stuff in his spare time. I was never a fan of Vic living in STAR Labs and it would be good to get him away from there some.
    I had Vic as a high school football coach in story, I know next to nothing about sports though so I don't know the age limit for that sort of thing.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

As far as sidekicks go I nominate Hiro Okamura, the new Toyman. He's a character from Superman. If I were working for DC he'd have original characters but since I'm not I like to pull characters that aren't being used from other corners of the DC universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I understand why people do this, but I really think a hero is better served by having their own villains. Someone mentioned it with Ollie - are they taking or giving to the shared universe? Do they use other people's rogues or do other people use theirs? Not to mention that, with a bigger hero (fame/money-wise) in the mix, editorial is far more likely to let writers of the bigger property dictate what happens to the villain (or supporting characters, in case you borrow them like Steel did with Lana), which could theoretically screw up what Cyborg writer had planned. No, I think it's better to either grab obscure old villains no one is using or create new ones when trying to develop a rogue's gallery.
    Because it is the strength and the point of the shared universe. I think you are worried about things that aren't really an issue. You seem to be under the impression that this villain has to become the archenemy for character and now Cyborg is screwed because his archenemy is Brainac and the Superman franchise will always get priority with him. It does matter that much because it is just adding a great villain to character who doesn't have a lot of them. Saving them from throwing out bad new creations that don't work to use character that does work. Which would have been helpful for Cyborg when they were trying to establish him as solo character. It work on the Green Arrow tv show, It work on Supergirl tv show, It works in the comics, Two quick examples are Dr Doom and Ironman, Black Panther and Namor. Who have become legit attractions when they show up in those books because they are good fits for antagonists. If shared universe has good fits they show use them. For me ideal rogues gallery for Cyborg looks like

Grid- Archrival
    Alfa and Technospaniens
    *Anomaly/Shrapnel/Girder/Bobby Zirrozinski/Cyborg Girl/H8-Bit
    Gizmo
    Red Lion
    Magenta

Brainiac
    Brother Blood
    Jinx
    Amazo
    Darkseid
    Trigon
    Thinker
    Omac/Brother eye
    Hive
    Intergang

Cyborg will still have his own pool of villains but you can add villains who are good fit to become part of the next circle of villains. And theoretically every time they think about using Brainiac or Darkseid because they did such a good job with stories in Cyborg books, They can't help put in him the story because he feels like definitive part of their mythos now. You guys are worried about if Cyborg isn't going to get proper respect. I am here think up names for what Superman and Cyborg teams up will be called Blue & Silver, The Brave and Bionic, Men of Steel .

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    If Cyborg is in the 'early MVP phase of his career', he needs to be leading his own team where he is undisputedly the man and not shafted to push another character.
    To be the man you have to "beat the man". Cyborg was given leadership in Justice League and it didn't feel quite right because they didn't properly set up his rise. It is the simplest trick in the book, There is a reason that DC keeps on telling you over and over that Batman,Superman and Wonder Woman are the greatest heroes in the universe it is get you as the reader to believe. Setting up Cyborg as slight below Superman and Batman with them showing their interest him because they think he can be on their level. That set up the fans to start believing it as well and then all you have to do is tell a good story where Cyborg reaches that potential. You can't skip steps, You push Cyborg as "next in line" "The chose one" then build his rise off the back of his mentors. Have him save the world and the headline " The Big Four".

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I don't necessarily disagree with you, and I do think that the effort needs to be put on Vic and establishing his "post-angst" status quo and setting more than forcing a sidekick into things. But I think if the goal is to establish a firm mythos around Vic then it's never too early to start laying the groundwork for the sidekick. You could introduce the character into Vic's setting without them immediately going into the sidekick role, which would give readers time to get familiar with the new addition to the cast and get a feel for the character.

And if we're treating Vic's shift to the JLA as him "hitting the big pro leagues" then getting saddled with a sidekick, just as his career is taking off and he's starting to sell some Nikes (to stick with the metaphor), would potentially add some quality conflict and drama.
    I don't mind a sidekick, It is an easy step to show hero as more established but I would rather set up Cyborg as something more dynamic and exciting for before getting a sidekick. That said in list of my ideal rogue gallery I notice a clear issue with Cyborg and that issue is that he needs something to ground him to world outside of tech. It could be a sidekick, It could be a girlfriend, It could be a best friend, It could be family member, He needs someone who is going to put him in adventures outside of comfort zone for him. My vote is girlfriend who does a job where she runs into all sorts of alien or creepy things.

Because it is the strength and the point of the shared universe.
    But what is Vic's mythos contributing to the shared universe? The highest tier heros have villains others want to use moreso than using someone else's. The very fact that you mention Supergirl kinda illustrates that to me. None of her villains were good enough, so she had to use someone else's. Same with Ollie having no bench on his. Whereas if you do a Superman or Batman show, they have tons of villains you can use. Other heroes draw on what they contributed to the universe, whereas they have strong bases all their own. It's one thing for heroes to use each other's villains, but Vic using other peoples and not contributing his own is not a good thing.

Sure, I get the idea - it's using the villains of others to prop/boost him up. But it just highlights he's not on-tier with the big players and needs boosting to use them all the time, IMO. And I think he'd more boosted if he could develop his own awesome villains that others wanted to borrow for special occasions. And, more importantly, that are associated with him. A strong and consistent mythos - villains, supporting cast, and setting that are the hero's own are the best assets a hero has, IMO. I know it's hard to establish, but I think it's worth it.

Saving them from throwing out bad new creations that don't work to use character that does work
    Or they work on creating good new villains that are part of Cyborg's mythos and enlarge it.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-27-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't mind a sidekick, It is an easy step to show hero as more established but I would rather set up Cyborg as something more dynamic and exciting for before getting a sidekick.
    Oh absolutely, a sidekick is far down the list of things Vic needs right now. But it's what we were talking about, and it's one of those things most A-listers have and is part of the "Big Damn Deal" checklist. I feel like a legacy/sidekick is something the franchise needs....eventually, but it shouldn't be an immediate concern. In fact, there's a bunch of things that need to be done first before a sidekick/legacy would be seen as truly viable, anyway.

And yes, Vic needs elements in his mythos that aren't tech related. Villains, supporting cast, allies, everything. "Tech" might be his niche, but it can't be the only thing he does, and this is (one area) where the previous solo books have failed; no variety at all.

Sure, we keep the technosapiens and Grid, and we keep Sara Charles and Silas at STAR Labs and we make sure Vic's lair has a big garage in it so he can tinker with cars and whatnot....but his narrative has to go further and deeper than just "I'm the IT guy!"

But what is Vic's mythos contributing to the shared universe? The highest tier heros have villains others want to use moreso than using someone else's.

Or they work on creating good new villains that are part of Cyborg's mythos and enlarge it.
    The point most of us are making (I am, anyway) is that you do *both.* Yes, of course Vic needs his own rogues gallery, that goes without saying. Nobody here is stupid enough to think that Cyborg could be successful by fighting someone else's bad guys all the time. Nobody wants to see that.

But the process of building a viable, concrete setting and characters to inhabit it? That's a big, long-term effort that'll require years to unfold and establish itself, and this is a market that has a distinct lack of patience. So while you're building that rogues gallery? You can sprinkle some well known bad guys in there to help keep interest going. A cover with Vic fighting Brainiac is going to generate more interest than a cover with Vic fighting some new villain nobody's ever seen before. So you do an arc or three with Cyborg villains (either ones he already has, like Grid, or new creations) then you throw in Klarion the Witch Boy or Brainiac for an arc, then after that you return to building/developing the Vic-centric bad guys.

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

But what is Vic's mythos contributing to the shared universe? The highest tier heros have villains others want to use moreso than using someone else's. The very fact that you mention Supergirl kinda illustrates that to me. None of her villains were good enough, so she had to use someone else's. Same with Ollie having no bench on his. Whereas if you do a Superman or Batman show, they have tons of villains you can use. Other heroes draw on what they contributed to the universe, whereas they have strong bases all their own. It's one thing for heroes to use each other's villains, but Vic using other peoples and not contributing his own is not a good thing.

Sure, I get the idea - it's using the villains of others to prop/boost him up. But it just highlights he's not on-tier with the big players and needs boosting to use them all the time, IMO. And I think he'd more boosted if he could develop his own awesome villains that others wanted to borrow for special occasions. And, more importantly, that are associated with him. A strong and consistent mythos - villains, supporting cast, and setting that are the hero's own are the best assets a hero has, IMO. I know it's hard to establish, but I think it's worth it.

Part of the reason I use already established folks is because I would not want to waste my time making someone and they end up like all those guys in Heroes in Crisis and being death fodder.

That is why I would rather dig deep into limbo and get someone and go from there.

Remember Squirrel Girl and Rocket Raccoon lived in limbo for almost 20 years. Now look at them.

John Stewart was collecting dust in the late 90s then came Justice League.

Bumblebee say hi. She found someway to be in cartoons while ignored in comics.

Excluding Night Thrasher what was the rest of the New Warriors doing?

Who is Miles Morales's big villain? Who is Kamala Khan's big villain? Who is Captian Marvel's big villain? All these characters are pretty high profile and fairly successful with no remarkable villain pool. To what you said yeah Supergirl and Green Arrow don't have that strong of a villain pool. Yes, their villains overall aren't good enough but I have news so is Aquaman, Black Panther, Iron Man, and many others. Most heroes aren't Batman, Spiderman, Superman, FF, Hulk, Wolverine, and Flash. It is not easy to create good bad guys. Creating a pool of villains is one of the most overrated things comics, Yes the great heroes have them and that is why they are elite BUT most heroes don't BUT these characters exist in a shared universe. So that means new heroes/unestablished heroes never have to go long stretches without using quality villains.

And if you are starting a project you want some Heat from the beginning. You trying to attract the widest audience of comic fans which means Superman fans,Batman fans, flash fans, etc then convert as much those people to Cyborg fans. Creating a villain pool is an organic process you can't force it which means Clownhunter, Punchline, Ghost-Maker have a chance to be successful because Batman can pull Joker, Bane, Riddler out for a good story so even the new guys flop you always have an ace and then come back to these characters improving on them.

Cyborg didn't have an ace villain to draw on to put his book starts to drop in numbers, Cyborg doesn't have a relationship with a big superhero character that could lead to great storyline which brings higher numbers. And getting this back on topic deleting his Titan history means that took away from his big base to draw on as well. What I am saying is Cyborg has three main sources to pull from for his villain pool

1. Original creations
    2. Titans History
    3. Shared Universe

Using a Brainiac and Darkseid in good stories means you have a chance to organically figure what original villain works and what doesn't work. Which brings me back to Miles Morales example, Into the Spiderverse put Prowler on the map for him as a big-time villain and this years down the line. Someone told a good story with him and now he has a chance to be factor specifically Miles but Miles as character has been surviving on Peter's Villains yes he is legacy character but able to share while he organically develops his rogues gallery is huge .In my opinion, Riddler, Ra's Al Ghul, and Bane started as mediocre villains but Batman has other good villains he can use while those characters got developed into better villains.

Now the quality of the story matters to which why Justice League Odyssey didn't help Cyborg that much BUT Cyborg has more close relationship with Darkseid which will be helpful for the next writer to use in the future. And writers imo wasted a bunch of time on new villains while they had chance to tap in New Gods and bring that into his mythos securely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh absolutely, a sidekick is far down the list of things Vic needs right now. But it's what we were talking about, and it's one of those things most A-listers have and is part of the "Big Damn Deal" checklist. I feel like a legacy/sidekick is something the franchise needs....eventually, but it shouldn't be an immediate concern. In fact, there's a bunch of things that need to be done first before a sidekick/legacy would be seen as truly viable, anyway.

And yes, Vic needs elements in his mythos that aren't tech related. Villains, supporting cast, allies, everything. "Tech" might be his niche, but it can't be the only thing he does, and this is (one area) where the previous solo books have failed; no variety at all.

Sure, we keep the technosapiens and Grid, and we keep Sara Charles and Silas at STAR Labs and we make sure Vic's lair has a big garage in it so he can tinker with cars and whatnot....but his narrative has to go further and deeper than just "I'm the IT guy!"
    The Mandarin for Iron Man is one that sticks out for me, I guess Dracula against the X-men is another that stands out. For Cyborg get so focused on the comparison/mirror types for him.That forgot about contrasting types and Cyborg versus Magic and supernatural is interesting. Cyborg versus simple street thugs or organized crime could be interesting.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-27-2020 at 09:22 PM.