Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    Ever since the announcement of Future State and with all the members of the JL have sidekicks. I was thinking should Cyborg have a sidekick as well someone he could take under his wing?
    who would you tap for Cyborg's sidekick? barring a whole new creation, I'm sure there's gotta be some young heroes or young supporting cast that could be molded under Cyborg's influence into something new.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    who would you tap for Cyborg's sidekick? barring a whole new creation, I'm sure there's gotta be some young heroes or young supporting cast that could be molded under Cyborg's influence into something new.
    He has one..

https://www.deviantart.com/skyvolt20...lark-851113527

Exxy.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I see Exxy as being Cyborg's support rather than operating in the field.

Yea, I don't think of Exxy as a sidekick either.

I really dig that Exxy design tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    Ever since the announcement of Future State and with all the members of the JL have sidekicks. I was thinking should Cyborg have a sidekick as well someone he could take under his wing?
    I was thinking of that too when I was drafting up my own series, technically he has Exxy but has no powers. I also had trouble coming up with a sidekick whose tech powers didn't completely overlap with Cyborgs.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I love this, didn't know you were an artist.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Vic definitely should have a sidekick/legacy/understudy of some kind, most major A-list heroes have one. But I think you have to build a new, original character for the role.

You *could* steal a lesser known character from the DCU. A former Titan like Hotspot or Argent perhaps, or a young New God like Vykin. But if you do that, you're not building up Vic's mythos, you're just borrowing from others and that'll never make people see Cyborg as a legit Big Name.

You could take someone like Exxy or....crap, what was her name, Narcissus or something? But they're not exactly built to be sidekicks and, quite frankly, probably wouldn't fit the mold well enough to last. Maybe it could be done but I'm thinking it wouldn't stick.

No, I think you need to make someone new. And I think you need to do two things; tie them directly to an aspect of Vic's mythology, and give them powers that aren't the same as Vic's.

Vic's been around a long time but his mythos is sparse, and a sidekick that comes directly from a "Cyborg only" facet of the DCU would help reinforce the unique, growing qualities of Vic's world and keep those elements visible even when they're not the focus of a narrative. And while conventional wisdom tends to tell us a sidekick should mirror the mentor's powers/abilities, I think in this case it might be best to circumvent that and do something that's more "complimentary" than it is "overlap."

I'd suggest one of two things; a denizen of the digitalverse who would essentially be a incorporeal, living emoji, or a young freedom fighter from the Nightshine dimension. Both come from elements unique to Vic's setting and bring some different qualities with them that would contrast/compliment Vic in interesting ways while also setting them apart from all the other sidekicks and legacies, which would certainly be a point in Cyborg's favor.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Narcissus was her name.

I didn't consider a sidekick coming from the digital universe, that's neat. Wish I had thought of that. I made one of my own, but he's a guy in a suit that's not unlike Red X's from the show.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Vic definitely should have a sidekick/legacy/understudy of some kind, most major A-list heroes have one. But I think you have to build a new, original character for the role.

You *could* steal a lesser known character from the DCU. A former Titan like Hotspot or Argent perhaps, or a young New God like Vykin. But if you do that, you're not building up Vic's mythos, you're just borrowing from others and that'll never make people see Cyborg as a legit Big Name.

You could take someone like Exxy or....crap, what was her name, Narcissus or something? But they're not exactly built to be sidekicks and, quite frankly, probably wouldn't fit the mold well enough to last. Maybe it could be done but I'm thinking it wouldn't stick.

No, I think you need to make someone new. And I think you need to do two things; tie them directly to an aspect of Vic's mythology, and give them powers that aren't the same as Vic's.

Vic's been around a long time but his mythos is sparse, and a sidekick that comes directly from a "Cyborg only" facet of the DCU would help reinforce the unique, growing qualities of Vic's world and keep those elements visible even when they're not the focus of a narrative. And while conventional wisdom tends to tell us a sidekick should mirror the mentor's powers/abilities, I think in this case it might be best to circumvent that and do something that's more "complimentary" than it is "overlap."

I'd suggest one of two things; a denizen of the digitalverse who would essentially be a incorporeal, living emoji, or a young freedom fighter from the Nightshine dimension. Both come from elements unique to Vic's setting and bring some different qualities with them that would contrast/compliment Vic in interesting ways while also setting them apart from all the other sidekicks and legacies, which would certainly be a point in Cyborg's favor.
    Yea that was my idea, someone entirely new and rooted in Cyborg's own mythos. Maybe you could mix your two directions, as the Nightshine Dimension can easily be revealed to be just one of nearly infinite locations within the Digitalverse. That would certainly give the wider concept more legitimacy and it streamlines the mythos.

The legacy could be an incorporeal freedom fighter taken under Vic's wing who becomes a younger brother of sorts. I don't know what powers they'd have, maybe something relating to weaponized music or summoning of some kind?

Incredible Member

Not sure if anyone has heard of it, but the video game Huntdown has some pretty cool ideas for Cyborg based villains.

I don't think Cyborg should have a sidekick as yet, using sports terms he is at the early mvp stage of his career. He can be a mentor to character of course but he is more at stage where he has a mentor himself and he is just about to surpass them or come on the same level as them. I still have in my head Cyborg is young Micheal Jordan, Superman and Batman is Magic and Bird. And it is essential for Cyborg growth(and growth any character from that era of characters) to be shown working as somewhat equals. For me I would like to see Superman take him under his wings with the premise, As he can see Cyborg being one of the heroes who could takeover for him. What would be connection that Cyborg and Superman have to work together it would Darkseid and New Gods stuff. It wouldn't be a long mentor process in this case, it just to set up the " hey believe in yourself,You are the same level as me thing" and build a buddy relationship.

Of course that is the fanboy in me talking but I like the Lebron "The next chosen one" vibes for Cyborg. I think Superman is good hero to have some osmosis with it because I think a couple of villains that get associated with Superman would be interesting matches /foils for Cyborg and adding one major villains for someone else franchise(the point of shared universe) would be great for Cyborg as well and Superman plays around Darkseid, Hank Henshaw and Brainiac. And I think Cyborg/Brainiac match up they would make for good rivals instead of them always pushing some new lame tech villain.You can play around a little with concept that Cyborg at some point could be come Brainiac in sense if he ever lost his humanity.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-25-2020 at 10:39 PM.

because I think a couple of villains that get associated with Superman would be interesting matches /foils for Cyborg and adding one major villains for someone else franchise(the point of shared universe) would be great for Cyborg as well and Superman plays around Darkseid, Han
    I understand why people do this, but I really think a hero is better served by having their own villains. Someone mentioned it with Ollie - are they taking or giving to the shared universe? Do they use other people's rogues or do other people use theirs? Not to mention that, with a bigger hero (fame/money-wise) in the mix, editorial is far more likely to let writers of the bigger property dictate what happens to the villain (or supporting characters, in case you borrow them like Steel did with Lana), which could theoretically screw up what Cyborg writer had planned. No, I think it's better to either grab obscure old villains no one is using or create new ones when trying to develop a rogue's gallery.

For Cyborg's sidekick, I want someone who has similar but different abilities compare to him. I thought about him having a sidekick who was born as a Cyborg which opposes to Victor who became one but I remember that his son from a possible future is a natural-born Cyborg.

Another idea for a sidekick is that I was thinking that maybe his sidekick would have the power to manipulate data similar to Eugene and Delsin Rowe from Infamous 2 where he can travel to virtual worlds such as the Digitalverse and manipulate digital energy through various means like shaping hard-light constructs into fantasy creatures from video games and shoot concussive force.

I remember that there was a trailer from the Justice League animated series were they shown a female version of Cyborg, I would prefer if his sidekick does not have the same powers as him since there are already female cyborgs such as Variant and Cyborgirl and others not related to Cyborg's cast such as the cyborg from Checkmate.
    Last edited by Incognito; 10-26-2020 at 05:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I understand why people do this, but I really think a hero is better served by having their own villains. Someone mentioned it with Ollie - are they taking or giving to the shared universe? Do they use other people's rogues or do other people use theirs? Not to mention that, with a bigger hero (fame/money-wise) in the mix, editorial is far more likely to let writers of the bigger property dictate what happens to the villain (or supporting characters, in case you borrow them like Steel did with Lana), which could theoretically screw up what Cyborg writer had planned. No, I think it's better to either grab obscure old villains no one is using or create new ones when trying to develop a rogue's gallery.
    If we're borrowing rogues from other character's for Cyborg I'd use:

Ultra Humanite (both he and Cyborg represent different versions of trans humanism)

Dr. Cyber( WW hasn't used her in years)

Grail

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    If we're borrowing rogues from other character's for Cyborg I'd use:

Ultra Humanite (both he and Cyborg represent different versions of trans humanism)

Dr. Cyber( WW hasn't used her in years)

Grail
    I would love to see Vic go up against Dr. Cyber but not as a new nemesis. Diana doesn't have many arch foes anymore, so I wouldn't want her losing one that could so easily be used as a major threat.

As for Vic having a sidekick, would they have to have a similar powerset as him? All of the other sidekicks are lessor (to an extent) versions of the main hero. Not say they would have to be a cyborg, but have some power over technology... maybe a techno-path or someone like Marvel's wizkid.