Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Yea Vic's time with the League will probably be kept intact and he still may be some kind of reserve member but I doubt he'll be a consistent part of the main League roster going forward. It's clear DC is taking a more multifaceted approach to diverse representation, with black characters like Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning, and John Stewart getting more focus as of late.

It looks like they especially want to give John Stewart a soft push, most likely because they seem to have plans for the character in other mediums. Whether it's a solo or ensemble (I assume the latter), I think he'll be pushed as DC's "Black Panther" of sorts, with Vic being put back on the Titans.

What that holds for him remains to be seen. DC still hasn't demonstrated they know how to ressurect the Titans IP in the comics. He may just end up being subject to the crappy writing of recent Titans books like all his friends, which isn't that much of a downgrade from how he was already being treated on the League. Williamson seems to be taking on a handful of projects with the team so maybe that leads into a run, which I'm almost certain would include Vic. Partly because he is such a major member of the team but also because DC's emphasis on diversity means they wouldn't want to leave their most prominent black Titan out of a revamp of the franchise.

I suspect a NTT revival post-Future with Vic on the team, though how he'd be used is anyone's guess. Assuming it's Williamson it could mean a more engaging Vic. Williamson's been writing him in the Death Metal tie-ins to JL and he seems to infuse Vic with more lightheartedness and personality than most writers so at least we wouldn't get mopey Vic. In a relaunch he'd probably keep his New God enhancements but as to whether other aspects of the nascent Cyborg mythos get rolled in (Digitalverse, Technosapiens, Grid, etc.) I doubt it.

He pretty much goes back to being the blank slate he always is when in ensembles, so whatever good things come to him are going to involve a writer digging into Vic's lore or building a new one. Whether the next Titans writer chooses to do so is of course dependent on their preferences and how much of a priority DC wants to make him. With a few big non-comic appearances (upcoming SnyderCut, acclaim from Doom Patrol) maybe DC pushes him to the forefront of the Titans line and gift him with new plotlines, Vic-centric rogues, and leadership. Or he gets treated like an afterthought like on the League. Anything could happen but I feel Vic has more room for improvement as a Titan than as a Leaguer, frankly he has nowhere to go but up.

I prefer Vic with a leaner frame.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea Vic's time with the League will probably be kept intact and he still may be some kind of reserve member but I doubt he'll be a consistent part of the main League roster going forward. It's clear DC is taking a more multifaceted approach to diverse representation, with black characters like Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning, and John Stewart getting more focus as of late.
    I think if DC is going to try, yet again, to make a NTT reunion title then Vic is definitely out of the League and shunted back to Titans. But if DC is going to try something different with the characters then Vic may remain on the League, either in the main title or a B-team. But if I had to bet on it I'd say he'll be back to the Titans. I feel like Williamson's JL arc is being treated like a stealth pilot for another reunion...though hopefully one that actually does something other than just repeat Wolfman's greatest hits, but with lower quality.

I suspect a NTT revival post-Future with Vic on the team, though how he'd be used is anyone's guess. Assuming it's Williamson it could mean a more engaging Vic. Williamson's been writing him in the Death Metal tie-ins to JL and he seems to infuse Vic with more lightheartedness and personality than most writers so at least we wouldn't get mopey Vic. In a relaunch he'd probably keep his New God enhancements but as to whether other aspects of the nascent Cyborg mythos get rolled in (Digitalverse, Technosapiens, Grid, etc.) I doubt it.
    I think Grid might show up now and then. And the concept of the digitalverse is likely to return as well, though probably not the same digitalverse that was introduced in Vic's solo. Not like that's such a unique idea we don't see it in tons of other places yknow?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think if DC is going to try, yet again, to make a NTT reunion title then Vic is definitely out of the League and shunted back to Titans. But if DC is going to try something different with the characters then Vic may remain on the League, either in the main title or a B-team. But if I had to bet on it I'd say he'll be back to the Titans. I feel like Williamson's JL arc is being treated like a stealth pilot for another reunion...though hopefully one that actually does something other than just repeat Wolfman's greatest hits, but with lower quality.

I think Grid might show up now and then. And the concept of the digitalverse is likely to return as well, though probably not the same digitalverse that was introduced in Vic's solo. Not like that's such a unique idea we don't see it in tons of other places yknow?
    The only way I see Vic returning to the League in a consistent or even secondary capacity is if he's not a constant member of whatever new Titans team comes next. I've heard there may be plans to bring the Titans Academy concept that'll be showing up in Future State into the main continuity. If Vic is repositioned as a rotating mentor to young heroes then I think you're right, maybe he could also be on a satellite JL team.

I'm not sure Grid is making an appearance anytime soon considering how long it's already been since the last time he had a major showing. I feel the same way about the Digitalverse, it's a common enough concept but like I said, unless they plan on giving Vic his own subplots or something I doubt it reappears. However much they bring in Vic's mythos will highly depend on how much effort they put into him shining as a Titan, so we'll see. But they would be interesting things to weave into the Titans mythos if Williamson tries to deviate from Wolfman. Grid could be a planetary threat with the right push and the Digitalverse could be another cool location like Azarth or Tamaran.

I actually think it's more important for Vic to get his friendship with Beast Boy and lightheartedness back and I think we may see that in the not so distant future. So in that respect I expect him to be better written, even if he doesn't get a lot of focus.

With the Titans/League....I figure it'll depend a lot on what both of those books are doing. If we get a classic NTT reunion, the odds of Vic going to the Titans is a lot higher than if the book is something new that only features *some* Titans. And if the League doesn't have an overabundance of minority characters then the odds of Vic staying there are higher than if the League also has characters like Vixen, Vibe, Black Lightning, etc.

They could just have him split his time between a Titans and a League book, which might work well with the idea of Titans Academy and Vic possibly being a liaison between them and the JLA. But the idea that DC would use Cyborg that much is borderline insane.

As for Grid....wherever Vic ends up, I imagine we'll see arcs that focus on individual characters. Maybe some Titans accompany Roy when he visits the reservation he grew up on. Maybe some members of the League go to Oa with their resident Lantern. We've seen plenty of stories like this, where one hero and/or their villain gets the focus. When Vic gets his chance to drive a story arc...Grid is as good an option as any, and better than most. And Grid is definitely powerful enough to be a viable challenge to either the League or Titans; he's just as powerful as Vic and while DC likes to pretend Vic can only open boom tubes, we all know what New God tech can do.

Totally agree about Vic and his friendship with Gar. It'll be good to see that again.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    FUTURE STATE: TEEN TITANS #2

written by TIM SHERIDAN
    art and cover by RAFA SANDOVAL
    card stock variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    ON SALE 2/9/21
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES | 2 OF 2 | FC | DC
    CARD STOCK COVER $4.99 US
    Red X returns to the Teen Titans! The mysterious former Teen Titans Academy student joins the surviving Titans in a final fight to stop the threat unleashed by one of the school's students. Nightwing, Raven, Crush, Shazam, Starfire, Cybeast, and Red Arrow face their demons as one of these heroes must make the ultimate sacrifice to save their world!

looks like Victor himself won't be in Future State but Beast Boy will be taking on his cybernetics as "Cybeast".

EDIT: apparently the issue 1 solicit mentions Cyborg and Beast boy separately, so he may appear in the first issue and fuse with Beast Boy during the story.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-13-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Wait a minute....
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cybeast...........................so embarrasing. They just refuse to advance the concept and character of Victor Stone. I'd be willing to bet that they could write a story set in the year 2050, they'd still have him with a 3/5ths face as if comic book alien technology couldn't allow him to simply look awesome.

Cybeast???????????? Wtf man, whose idea was that they're just going to fuse BB and Vic together as some weird abomination?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Cybeast???????????? Wtf man, whose idea was that they're just going to fuse BB and Vic together as some weird abomination?
    DC editorial hasn't done any thinking in years, possibly decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Cybeast...........................so embarrasing. They just refuse to advance the concept and character of Victor Stone. I'd be willing to bet that they could write a story set in the year 2050, they'd still have him with a 3/5ths face as if comic book alien technology couldn't allow him to simply look awesome.
    Does this have anything to do with Vic? Other than, I guess, stealing his gimmick?

Actually, with all this Titans restoration for Vic, have he and Beast Boy even shared any dialogue with each other? Now I feel like Young Justice Outsiders where I keep waiting for Vic and Gar to finally talk to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Does this have anything to do with Vic? Other than, I guess, stealing his gimmick?

Actually, with all this Titans restoration for Vic, have he and Beast Boy even shared any dialogue with each other? Now I feel like Young Justice Outsiders where I keep waiting for Vic and Gar to finally talk to each other.
    I hope not.

It’s sad that DC comics has no earthly idea what to do with Cyborg. They show that they have no real interest in him. Judging by that cover, Victor Stone doesn’t exist. It’s Beast Boy in Cyborg’s husk. It’s funny how Gar shows more flesh as Cybeast than Vic ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I hope not.

It’s sad that DC comics has no earthly idea what to do with Cyborg. They show that they have no real interest in him. Judging by that cover, Victor Stone doesn’t exist. It’s Beast Boy in Cyborg’s husk. It’s funny how Gar shows more flesh as Cybeast than Vic ever did.
    I'm betting (because even DC HAS to know that effectively killing a black character so his white friend can wear his husk is terrible optics) that Vic is gonna be like an operating system or an A.I-esque being in his Cybeast's head or something. that way they can still show Vic from time to time and almost make us forget that they effectively killed a black character so his white friends can wear his husk.

People said that Son of Baldwin article about the dehumanization of Cyborg was just placing much importance on Cyborg's dick but I think we're seeing more and more that DC really doesn't see Victor as a human let alone a black body that shouldn't be made to be exploited for a narrative whim.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-13-2020 at 10:32 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I figured Vic saved Gar using the same process that created him. I don't think it's a composite Superman/Batman situation where that's literally half of Cyborg on Beast Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm betting (because even DC HAS to know that effectively killing a black character so his white friend can wear his husk is terrible optics) that Vic is gonna be like an operating system or an A.I-esque being in his Cybeast's head or something. that way they can still show Vic from time to time and almost make us forget that they effectively killed a black character so his white friends can wear his husk.

People said that Son of Baldwin article about the dehumanization of Cyborg was just placing much importance on Cyborg's dick but I think we're seeing more and more that DC really doesn't see Victor as a human let alone a black body that shouldn't be made to be exploited for a narrative whim.
    I think the article made a lot of good points. However, it also unintentionally dabbled in some ugly beliefs about black masculinity and black people on its own end and complained about issues that weren't actually issues at all.