Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

I should have clarified that I was referring to comic book Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Outsiders Cyborg? Doom Patrol?
    Kinda crazy they can make a good Cyborg on screen easier than they can in comics where the possibilities are endless. Then again I haven't read Odyssey outside of the first issue so there may be hope there.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Kinda crazy they can make a good Cyborg on screen easier than they can in comics where the possibilities are endless. Then again I haven't read Odyssey outside of the first issue so there may be hope there.
    nah, he got done dirty lowkey.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    nah, he got done dirty lowkey.
    Yeah. When the second creative team took over after the earliest issues, they straight demoted Cyborg, along with Azrael and Starfire, and made the book a Jessica Cruz solo. This, after her and Simon's book ended with Hal taking over and also after the promotional materials leading into Odyssey hyped the book to be Vic's team book that he was the leader of.

I know there have been a number of readers who genuinely found the book enjoyable after the plot retool. But I couldn't help but be left disappointed and frustrated with the execution of it all.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-30-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Yeah. When the second creative team took over after the earliest issues, they straight demoted Cyborg, along with Azrael and Starfire, and made the book a Jessica Cruz solo. This, after her and Simon's book ended with Hal taking over and also after the promotional materials leading into Odyssey hyped the book to be Vic's team book that he was the leader of.

I know there have been a number or readers who genuinely found the book enjoyable after the plot retool. But I couldn't help but be left disappointed and frustrated with the execution of it all.
    Please tell me you're joking, I actually like Jessica Cruz but your description of the book is definitely going to piss me off. I read a few spoilers about Cyborg being sidelined but I assumed it was building towards something.

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Please tell me you're joking, I actually like Jessica Cruz but your description of the book is definitely going to piss me off. I read a few spoilers about Cyborg being sidelined but I assumed it was building towards something.

Nope. It was a sad as described.

It was off to a beautiful start but after something happened behind the scenes where the creative team was forced to scrap issues because some characters they were going to use were being redirected/taken, everything went sideways. Because of that we lost one of the most awesome artists and then a whole new creative team came on and it was an entirely different book.

Cyborg leading a team and having to work with Darkseid was an awesome concept that got abandoned.

Cyborg wasn't entirely taken over by Darkseid however, and ended saving the Multiverse.

I was miffed by what happened to Az, Kori and him, but in the long run, I find the second part of JLO stronger than the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Cyborg wasn't entirely taken over by Darkseid however, and ended saving the Multiverse.

I was miffed by what happened to Az, Kori and him, but in the long run, I find the second part of JLO stronger than the first.
    I’m glad you enjoyed it. I couldn’t. That wasn’t what I signed on for.

Yeah Odyssey ended up not being so great for Vic, from what I've seen and heard. Only bought a few issues but that entire title seemed like it went off the rails before the first issue even hit, and it never really found its footing afterwards.

So, I was saying this over on the Nightwing appreciation thread, but we've got new people in charge at DC with new goals and directives and they seem to really want to expand beyond the direct market and build on DC's larger media profiles. What do we think the odds are of Vic getting better treatment? Do we think they might give him some solo stuff somewhere, in digital or OGN or direct market or whatever? Or at least quality treatment in a team book where he'll actually contribute equally and be written like more than a taxi?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm still kind of amazed that the whole premise of the JLO book got turned into "Jessica Cruz and friends vs. Darkseid." Like, Jessica was the newest name in the book, who could have seen it coming?

Cyborg spent much of a few issues just saying Ping ping Ping.

I hope the new leadership is much kinder to Vic.I wouldn't even mind a book with Cyborg and the Doom Patrol at this point. And could easily bring BB and Vic together that way if they wanted to.

I've never been into the Doom Patrol, but the show's been great as far as Ive heard.

Ultimate Member

Well this is going to get you madder.

Look at who the editor on that book was... Harvey Richards. 11-17. Is that where the sideline stuff started?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So, I was saying this over on the Nightwing appreciation thread, but we've got new people in charge at DC with new goals and directives and they seem to really want to expand beyond the direct market and build on DC's larger media profiles. What do we think the odds are of Vic getting better treatment? Do we think they might give him some solo stuff somewhere, in digital or OGN or direct market or whatever? Or at least quality treatment in a team book where he'll actually contribute equally and be written like more than a taxi?
    The Good news, Under the people that they have now he will likely be treated better. The bad news(which is good news) is they seem to embracing all their minority characters so where Cyborg might have showed up strictly on the fact that he is black male representation it looks like they are embracing the full pool characters regardless of profile aka John Stewart, Aqualad, Nubia, Batwing, Jo Mullein,Naomi, Vixen,Black Lighting, Milestone characters Static ,Icon,etc. If he shows up he should get good treatment but when he shows up he won't be in "instant" spotlight as much as he was in past. Which I guess better than being forced into a spots and his appearances are more in line to level of his character.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-01-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The Good news, Under the people that they have now he will likely be treated better. The bad news(which is good news) is they seem to embracing all their minority characters so where Cyborg might have showed up strictly on the fact that he is black male representation it looks like they are embracing the full pool characters regardless of profile aka John Stewart, Aqualad, Nubia, Batwing, Jo Mullein,Naomi, Vixen,Black Lighting, Milestone characters Static ,Icon,etc. If he shows up he should get good treatment but when he shows up he won't be in "instant" spotlight as much as he was in past. Which I guess better than being forced into a spots and his appearances are more in line to level of his character.
    Yeah, assuming we're right about DC's new priorities, Vic being part of a larger PoC push is a hell of a lot better than him getting into big stories due to tokenism. I will happily take a serious effort towards diversification where Vic is only one of many characters getting attention over DC thinking that putting Vic on the JLA as little more than a background character is "adequate representation."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

My own prediction is that Cyborg's time in the Justice League is probably over, and he'll be integrated back in the Titans. I think his time as "the face" (or rather, "the 3/4 face", har har!!!) of black people in the DCU is over, too. I don't think there will be any solos on the horizon for him, but this doesn't mean he will be treated poorly, and could potentially even be treated better, because the attempts to elevate his profile did not go well at all, IMO. Despite DC having new management, we also have to take into consideration that they're cutting their line back and can't afford to throw solo ongoing around willy-nilly.

Whether all that would be good or bad would depend on where one stands on those issues.