Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Same here. I became a fan of Vic because of the potential. Never experienced that before with a character. Sadly the potential has been squandered up to this point.

As far as an ideal look, we’ve already seen it.
    Agreed. THAT’S his ideal look to me. It also doesn’t screw around with his marketability and recognizablility with fans of his outside of comics.

Like I said on here 3 separate times what Vic needs is his own book with a popular A list creative team. Especially since fans nowadays follow creators more than they do characters (which kind of sucks because it didn’t used to be that way)

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    So i ask again....

I wonder how many other people agree with Robotman and view that Cyborg design as being ideal? I'd love to keep track of this among his "fans" as lots of words are tossed around but less definitive images.
    I'd say the Reis design is 99% perfect. It's streamlined and modern, we've got more flesh showing than usual, and that's blended through and into the bionics more than is typical. It's easily the best design Vic has had in the comics.

I'd say there's only one thing, maybe two, missing from the Reis design; a chest emblem and maybe some clothes. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about Vic wearing regular clothes; it works great for live action stuff like Doom Patrol because it means less make up and cgi, but in the comics I don't know if it works as well or if it just gets in the way, visually.

The chest emblem is an absolute must though. Add one of those to the Reis design and you'll be hard pressed to find a better look for Vic.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    So i ask again....

Thanks for your reply Robotman. While it is fair to say every fictional character has potential i think some have more inherent potential than others within the DC or Marvel universe. For example... Squirrel Girl and her baseline power set don't strike me as having as much story potential within the Big 2 universes as , say, Dazzler or...Jean Grey. Squirrel Girl may arguably be more popular than both. On the surface Doctor Doom has more potential than , say, Plastic Man. Cyborg has base line qualities and attributes that should put him in A list territory (or , at worst, upper B list).

I wonder how many other people agree with Robotman and view that Cyborg design as being ideal? I'd love to keep track of this among his "fans" as lots of words are tossed around but less definitive images.
    I have to amend my statement. I would also like to see his symbol on his chest. That was the one thing missing from the Reis design.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I agree. The thing that interested me the most with Cyborg isn’t what is currently being shown but the untapped potential of what he could so easily be.

The design for me is the Reis design from his first solo where the flesh nanomorphs to technology. He looks clothed in this design. Then instead of a faceplate we go with a blue-lit line that cuts across his face at the same outline. No red dot in the forehead. The eye can still go red though if it looks cool. But that’s only when he’s Cyborg. When he’s Vic, he’s just Vic. I want to see a transformation when it’s time for heroics.

And allow him to be somebody. He’s a public hero. Have him run a company of some sort. How is what he is not being exploited for storytelling? How does he not have a measure of fame simply because of him being a singularity?

This is why I love the potential of Cyborg but absolutely hate the poor creativity and lack of care of him from the DC comic division. Their main original, non-legacy, high-powered black hero and it’s continually just a failure to launch. I want this character to achieve more than what they’ve allowed.

It’s sad that it’s the case but had DC put in the effort to make Cyborg cool (or allowed the Walker and Reis revamp to take) they likely wouldn’t have had the GL problem. Jordan would be the face without much backlash while many POC fans would have felt like they finally had a thoroughly positive POC hero to enjoy in the Justice League books and not a character that questions if he’s human among the nearly perfect white heroes he fights alongside. It matters.
    Exactly, I think that some fans are missing the point that there are many layers of failure to how Cyborg is being handled. This forced regression under the cover of nostalgia is keeping Victor from flying. Black Panther movie success is what happens when you have a black hero with a cool looking aesthetic to go along with some boss energy. Cyborg has been tied down with so many trash elements. His movie is not only overkill but it's not economically feasible, as a character he had much of his lines cut out that his impact was diminished.

Cyborg and John Stewart are suffering from the same thing: Lip service. Writers say they have plans and nothing ever happens. They get put on Justice League, the big league team and really don't do anything of significance.

I don’t like the design of Vic’s chest insignia. They should design a better one. Also, I think it shouldn’t be in the middle of his chest. I’d prefer an insignia that’s either on the left or right side of his chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Cyborg and John Stewart are suffering from the same thing: Lip service. Writers say they have plans and nothing ever happens. They get put on Justice League, the big league team and really don't do anything of significance.
    That’s because everyone plays second fiddle to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in the League.

That’s why Vic needs is his own book with a popular A list creative team. Especially since fans nowadays follow creators more than they do characters

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    I don’t like the design of Vic’s chest insignia. They should design a better one. Also, I think it shouldn’t be in the middle of his chest. I’d prefer an insignia that’s either on the left or right side of his chest.
    You know, that would fit the asymmetric face design and be a little more consistent with that aesthetic, as well as a little more unique. Yeah, I agree with this!

And I also agree that none of his emblems have been keepers. I think DC is in the right ballpark with some of them, but they need to keep working at it until they hit on something that really kicks.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Regarding a third Cyborg ongoing comic series-
    I have a feeling DC's push for Cyborg as his own intellectual property ended when the Justice League movie tanked and his movie was cancelled...or just never talked about ever again, whichever happened. I believe the company hasn't dropped him cold turkey because that would look weird, be somewhat of an admittance of failure, and he can be useful on teams. I think we'll continue to see him around, of course, but mostly in a team setting.

That's my feeling, though. I'm not at DC listening to their plans.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 01-19-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    That’s because everyone plays second fiddle to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman in the League.

That’s why Vic needs is his own book with a popular A list creative team. Especially since fans nowadays follow creators more than they do characters

Vic does not need an A list team.

You know what an A list team gets you? A TON of unsold books packing bins. Batman, Superman, Wolverine, X-Men, Peter Parker and others can tell you that.

You also get "fans" boycotting the books saying "how dare you put blank on this book! It is not going to last." "We need to make this book FAIL." "Boycott this book!" "We need to ENCOURAGE folks to not buy this book."

And yes I have heard these and WORST comments aimed at New Age Heroes and 95% of Marvel folks who had tv shows and movies at the time. With store owners joining in.

Moon Girl did not have an A list team-she made 47 issues BEFORE she got a tv show.
    Squirrel Girl made 60 issues, had a New York Times Best Seller and almost had her own tv show without A listers.
    Al Ewing is not an A lister yet what did he do with Hulk?
    Priest is not an A lister what did he do with Deathstroke & Black Panther?
    G Willow Wilson in not A lister let what did she do with Ms Marvel?

Cyborg, Wallace West, John Stewart, Duke Thomas & Jason Rusch all fared BETTER under everyone who was NOT considered A list.

They all need a writer, artist, colorist and more importantly an EDITOR who gives a DAMN. Folks who are going to FIGHT for that book like Priest did with Black Panther. That also includes Dc's management. So when the gators and comic book store owners come a crying-Dc put the stop to it.

They need to say "This is a BUSINESS. We have to make money and that means trying EVERYONE out not just what YOU feel entitled to see on the shelves. That many of you are not even going to TRY. It reflects BADLY on DC to not have black lead books starring guys who are suppose to be the faces of our black heroes. Our competition is doing it. What is our excuse?"

I dont think Cyborg needs a logo and having a big glowy C on his chest just looks silly. As for clothes I'm in two camps. One is "He just holograms clothes on himself for civillian stuff" , the other is that he wears trousers but thats it. He doesnt nerd a top since its all metal.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Vic does not need an A list team.

You know what an A list team gets you? A TON of unsold books packing bins. Batman, Superman, Wolverine, X-Men, Peter Parker and others can tell you that.

You also get "fans" boycotting the books saying "how dare you put blank on this book! It is not going to last." "We need to make this book FAIL." "Boycott this book!" "We need to ENCOURAGE folks to not buy this book."

And yes I have heard these and WORST comments aimed at New Age Heroes and 95% of Marvel folks who had tv shows and movies at the time. With store owners joining in.

Moon Girl did not have an A list team-she made 47 issues BEFORE she got a tv show.
    Squirrel Girl made 60 issues, had a New York Times Best Seller and almost had her own tv show without A listers.
    Al Ewing is not an A lister yet what did he do with Hulk?
    Priest is not an A lister what did he do with Deathstroke & Black Panther?
    G Willow Wilson in not A lister let what did she do with Ms Marvel?

Cyborg, Wallace West, John Stewart, Duke Thomas & Jason Rusch all fared BETTER under everyone who was NOT considered A list.

They all need a writer, artist, colorist and more importantly an EDITOR who gives a DAMN. Folks who are going to FIGHT for that book like Priest did with Black Panther. That also includes Dc's management. So when the gators and comic book store owners come a crying-Dc put the stop to it.

They need to say "This is a BUSINESS. We have to make money and that means trying EVERYONE out not just what YOU feel entitled to see on the shelves. That many of you are not even going to TRY. It reflects BADLY on DC to not have black lead books starring guys who are suppose to be the faces of our black heroes. Our competition is doing it. What is our excuse?"
    Awesome insights my bro! Of course agreed one hunet %, lol. Its crazy to think that the problem starts right back at the people who have all the power to make a difference. Victor's issues are similar to what Black Panther is experiencing in his solo book. Writers and editors are just throwing out bricks and stall tactics to gnarl up true progress for each said character. It wasn't fans that had the opportunity to make Cyborg the "God of Technology" , only to slide Batman into it...??? Have some balls and inspiration, let The Bat take a side seat and Cyborg could been shown in more natural way with the big hitters. Long as you have guys that are wedded to DC big 3, things are going to be the same old way like forever.

I’m with having an emblem on the left of his chest. Something different.

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I guess all those who clamored for Vic’s “history with the Titans” to be restored are ecstatic!