Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    For real, Vic could be on the level of Clark, GL, any of those big cosmic heavy hitters.

With New Gods tech he should probably be as powerful as Clark at a minimum, honestly.

Love Cyborg. Of all the characters in comics, he's in my top 3 for characters I'd like to get my hands on and write (or edit, anyway). The untapped potential is astounding, and he's got such a rich history. How DC manages to screw him up so consistently is almost a feat in and of itself. I feel like a dude this awesome requires a lot of hard work to keep him so mediocre!
    You know, the first time they screwed him up, in New Titans in 1991 was when he got destroyed by the Wilderbeests, rebuilt by the Soviets without his memory, and by the time the story arc was over, they had to retcon it to post-Soviet Russia! DC got screwed over by real world politics. Idiotic move to have storylines set there in 1991. I don't know when he went back to normal, but I know it was quite a while as the Titans book was retooled a few months later.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I love this

Nice.

(Anyone else find it funny that the strongest/most well received media portrayals of Cyborg from the last few years have come from stuff outside the Justice League?)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nice.

(Anyone else find it funny that the strongest/most well received media portrayals of Cyborg from the last few years have come from stuff outside the Justice League?)
    Not at all. Old head (hooked on nostalgia) comic book writers that are lacking in progressive, imaginative concepts seem to be the ones firmly in control of this abused and mistreated character. The cartoon makers and writers know full well the eyes that will be one each character so thought, energy and real vision planning is put into each one put on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Not at all. Old head (hooked on nostalgia) comic book writers that are lacking in progressive, imaginative concepts seem to be the ones firmly in control of this abused and mistreated character. The cartoon makers and writers know full well the eyes that will be one each character so thought, energy and real vision planning is put into each one put on the screen.
    Maybe, although I don't think successful outside media takes have really needed to reinvent the wheel when it comes to Cyborg, so they approach him from a character standpoint rather then trying to force it like the comics side has to some extent.

I mean, Outsiders basically just had New Teen Titans Cyborg in everything but the exact character design.

Mighty Member

It sucks to see how Vic has been sidelined in Odyssey in order to push Jessica Cruz. It's a total disgrace and disservice to his character. It's decisions like that that prevents Cyborg and black male characters in general from breaking out and being elevated to a-list status. So sad.

BANNED

I love Jessica Cruz, but hate her in Oddysey, it killed pretty much her charismatic personality and gave him a role too big for her to handle. I understand Cyborg will come back soon, pretty much the first Oddysey member coming back... but still was stupid his fall

^this, and what's unfortunate is this tends to be the trend for a lot of DC's biggest characters of color, from Vixen to Vibe, to Jaime Reyes, Kimiyo Hoshi, John Stewart, and beyond. that's not to say it's a racially motivated thing, like you said, it's an old head/nostalgia thing. it seems like the ones in charge of driving a lot of DC's characters are nostalgia-heavy, and unfortunately what they're nostalgic for happens to be from a time where these characters just didn't matter as much compared to their "tried and true" contemporaries. Cyborg on Doom Patrol was rad as ****, he had ambition, confidence, drive, agency, actual clothes -_-...; that Cyborg I could see joining the League and actually mattering. I still have a little bit of hope that Cyborg will get better showcasings this year after this Darksied herald arc, only because of how much i've been enjoying JL: Odyssey since the new creative team, but i can't say i'm not bummed they hoed him the way they did, and if he simply leaves the team afterward i'm 1000% dropping that book.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-08-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Default Cheese!

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Still haven't seen that show. Glad it got renewed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Still haven't seen that show. Glad it got renewed though.
    Doom Patrol was really good! while I'd say Watchmen is probably a better-produced show and more prestigious, Doom Patrol is the best live-action comic book show from DC of last year; it felt like a weird ass comic book come to life. heart, humor, and action? it was a blast, definitely should check it out.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-08-2020 at 04:45 PM. Reason: just heaping more praise on Doom Patrol's name

currently following:

Currently playing Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham and finding myself playing Cyborg the most. The game devs understand how versatile and powerful Vic can be.

I think everyone understands how versatile and awesome Vic can be except the people making DC comic books.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

I've always felt Vic would work great in a video game. With the cybernetics there's a great avenue for upgrade and skill trees. All he needs is a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Currently playing Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham and finding myself playing Cyborg the most. The game devs understand how versatile and powerful Vic can be.
    Outside media always tend to do the character justice. I thought even the JL movie did well with him and could've done so much better if most of his scenes weren't cut.

Incredible Member

Exhibit A

T7ZGOVT3RZD6LJKANYTOE5YN7Y.jpg

When someone you know asks if there is a behind the scenes effort to prevent certain types of imagery in media .....remind them of this man and his team.
    Last edited by Customizer; 01-09-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.