Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Rather than an ongoing I would give Cyborg a 12 issue miniseries. Personally I’d like something in the vein of the Deus Ex games, but I’m not in charge. But right now and especially post pandemic, the monthly DM simply won’t be supporting many of the side characters. However the trade market is more open to diversity, and Cyborg surely still has plenty of fans thanks to Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! Cyborg is a character that still has a lot of potential, he simply needs the right creative team to tap into it. I’d have Mark Russel do it, he’s got a good handle on comedy mixed with social commentary that I think would serve Cyborg quite well.

Astonishing Member

DC has had close to a decade to make Cyborg seem less out of place they just haven’t put in the effort. They thought that he’d rise in popularity by osmosis, sticking him with genuine A-listers on JL. Thus creators haven’t really invested in making a self-sustaining mythos and when they try there’s editorial constraints that prevent them from advancing the character. There was an organic way to push Cyborg and make him a viable solo character but like with the DCEU there wasn’t a strong plan in place to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Love this.

https://themiddlespaces.com/2015/03/...-not-included/

Back when I first read this article I agreed with it for the most part. Now, while I think it has some good points, I also feel it accentuates the negatives when it comes to Cyborg in some parts and reflects some troubling notions about black masculinity which a lot of Cyborg's detractors have parroted.

CYBORG 5.jpgMy fav armor

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://themiddlespaces.com/2015/03/...-not-included/

Back when I first read this article I agreed with it for the most part. Now, while I think it has some good points, I also feel it accentuates the negatives when it comes to Cyborg in some parts and reflects some troubling notions about black masculinity which a lot of Cyborg's detractors have parroted.
    You and your insight are very much correct and warrant steady observation. The David Walker incident has convinced me that there's an effort to stymie, or humanize Victor and give him a needed upgrade that would give him a more human male aesthetic.

Fantastic Member

Sooo...what's Cyborg been up to recently? Because it looks to me like DC Comics has dropped all pretenses of trying to do anything with him.

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyFan View Post
    Sooo...what's Cyborg been up to recently? Because it looks to me like DC Comics has dropped all pretenses of trying to do anything with him.
    He’s been stuck as one of Darkseid’s New New Gods along with Azrael and Starfire. Abnett has totally shifted focus away from the original team and onto his new lineup.

You’d think with Cyborg having good showings in the Young Justice and Doom Patrol shows DC would maybe have some interest in utilizing Vic a little better. Nope.

I'm convinced the problems we had largely stemmed from Didio wanting to keep everyone in their most "iconic" shapes; which for Vic means the early NTT and his angst about being a freak. And of course, the idea that just being in the League makes you an A-lister, which has proven to be patently false.

AT&T reportedly want the comics to provide some good adaptation worthy material, and one would assume those guys are aware of the success of TTGO! and Doom Patrol, etc. They might see potential in the character. Maybe not in the direct market, but in the YA OGN space perhaps?

There might be reason to have hope. We'll just have to wait for the world to re-open and see what they do.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Wonder if he will show up in Death Metal. He was in the first Metal series obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Wonder if he will show up in Death Metal. He was in the first Metal series obviously.
    I mean Justice league odyssey is suppose to have a tie-in so it’s possible he will be in that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Everyone is probably going to be in Death Metal in some form, so I'd be surprised if he didn't show up.

Got HBO Max recently so I’ve finally been able to watch the Doom Patrol. That show is so damn good! I was just kinda nerding out that my favorite team of “freaks” was being portrayed so well! Tears of joy

Anyway, I really love that version of Vic. He’s this young up and coming superhero who everyone says is destined for greatness with the Justice League. Using a sports analogy, he’s kind of like the best college prospect and about to be the number 1 draft pick. Then he gets mixed up with all the weirdness of the Doom Patrol. Vic is this straight edge superhero thrown into a chaotic world. Reminds me of Wonder Woman being added to Justice League Dark. Yeah she’s a mystical superhero but she’s always been this bright champion of truth and now she’s fighting demons side by side with Constantine. Sounds like it shouldn’t work, but it’s been a really good fit!

Also it’s great that they’ve based his look on the Ivan Reis design!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Got HBO Max recently so I’ve finally been able to watch the Doom Patrol. That show is so damn good! I was just kinda nerding out that my favorite team of “freaks” was being portrayed so well! Tears of joy

Anyway, I really love that version of Vic. He’s this young up and coming superhero who everyone says is destined for greatness with the Justice League. Using a sports analogy, he’s kind of like the best college prospect and about to be the number 1 draft pick. Then he gets mixed up with all the weirdness of the Doom Patrol. Vic is this straight edge superhero thrown into a chaotic world. Reminds me of Wonder Woman being added to Justice League Dark. Yeah she’s a mystical superhero but she’s always been this bright champion of truth and now she’s fighting demons side by side with Constantine. Sounds like it shouldn’t work, but it’s been a really good fit!

Also it’s great that they’ve based his look on the Ivan Reis design!
    Agreed. I find it fascinating that the most well received iterations of Cyborg in outside media are the ones that seem most well adjusted and confident. The occasional angst is fine but overwhelmingly Cyborg seems to resonate more with audiences when he’s moved past his trauma and can actually operate with some agency. It’s mind boggling that DC hasn’t tried inserting more of his animated/TV portrayals into the comics. Even online (which granted only represents a small minority of consumers) the consensus seems to be move Cyborg past his personal hangups and just tell fun stories.

And the Ivan Reiss design should be the standard Cyborg suit. I still think they should get rid of the face plate though. But if DC can’t do that they should at least minimize it to the eye area like Jessica Cruz and her GL symbol. I think that’s the only thing stopping me from considering it a great redesign. That and the metal jawline lol. I’d really like if Cyborg could just have a full head of hair and grow it out lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean Justice league odyssey is suppose to have a tie-in so it’s possible he will be in that.
    If it's got a tie-in I imagine it'll be the finale. Since the original team will have been rescued by then (looks like that might be happening in the issues solicited for Aug/Sept), he should be involved.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman