Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario that makes me want to read a Vic Stone story. I'm interested enough about the character but don't know enough about him to imagine anything.

The first thing that came to mind was robot fight, but then I remember I don't really like sci-fi and mechanical stuff by default, so it's already a hard sell... and they did try that. It's... not... interesting.

Aside from having cool robot design, which I like, I love good creature design even if it's mechanical... the part of the preview where it doesn't have a robot doesn't grab me. Those previews... I don't remember they ever talk about Vic's personal life or personality. I really only remember the robots, and some STAR lab scene involving his dad. It's not memorable or made me curious enough to get it.

I think... for starter, I want to know more about his personal life first, something a bit more down to earth. The human side of this half-machine man that can make me relate or admire him (which I'm sure DC struggle with because their definition of a superhero comic is hero vs villain and that's why they make their previews like that)

So... which are your favorite Cyborg stories?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'll be honest. I was always lukewarm on Cyborg and it took until Doom Patrol to really sell me... But damn, did they!

Joivan Wade absolutely killed it and played Vic with equal parts charisma and pathos. It all clicked for me. Hoping Victor gets his due in some fashion this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'll be honest. I was always lukewarm on Cyborg and it took until Doom Patrol to really sell me... But damn, did they!

Joivan Wade absolutely killed it and played Vic with equal parts charisma and pathos. It all clicked for me. Hoping Victor gets his due in some fashion this year!
    how dare you reach into my brain and pull out my exact feelings about Cyborg, I feel violated truthfully, David F. Walker's run on Cyborg made me want to get more into him but Doom Patrol really gave me the perspective on how well he could be done.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

David F. Walker got the ball rolling on what Vic could be. Live-action Doom Patrol picked that up and amplified it.

Gotta check out Doom Patrol soon. Heard nothing but great things about Cyborg's portrayal on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Vic was great in Doom Patrol he’s happy, confident, and pretty much the man in that universe. I loved the parts where he was responding to fan girls on dating apps.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Gotta check out Doom Patrol soon. Heard nothing but great things about Cyborg's portrayal on the show.
    Please do, the whole show is a gem. Nothing but a roller coaster ride all the way through and it’s never boring.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

What is everybody’s favourite Vic story? Mine is his team up with Wally in Wally’s Flash series. Just a great reunion of old friends/teammates taking down a common foe.
    Last edited by docmidnite; 01-10-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    What is everybody’s favourite Vic story? Mine is his team up with Wally in Wally’s Flash series. Just a great reunion of old friends/teammates taking down a common foe.

Yours?
    Mine hasn’t been written yet but...

It’s the one where he’s written as a complete and competent person operating under his own agency as a character. The writer is someone modern, who understands the future of technology, not handicapped by nostalgia and has the vision where they have Vic taking on a diverse group of antagonists. Not just robots.

The art has him looking like a “true” cyborg and not a machine with a 3/5 face. Something more like the Reis’/Doom Patrol design or better.
    Last edited by Iconic; 01-10-2020 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Mine hasn’t been written yet but...

It’s the one where he’s written as a complete and competent person operating under his own agency as a character. The writer is someone modern, who understands the future of technology, not handicapped by nostalgia and has the vision where they have Vic taking on a diverse group of antagonists. Not just robots.

The art has him looking like a “true” cyborg and not a machine with a 3/5 face. Something more like the Reis’/Doom Patrol design or better.
    Something more like this? I definitely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

So... which are your favorite Cyborg stories?
    If i were forced to choose (based upon story only) it would be the David F. Walker Cyborg run issue #6. David was beginning to turn Cyborg into the character he should be. The ..."moment" (no spoilers) the change began to happen still makes me smile. Issue #9 was fun as well.

My perfect Cyborg story hasn't been written but , if i'm being honest , looking back on Semper Jr.'s run i'm a bit more forgiving. The art was fantastic in my opinion ( i really prefer the rebirth design or similar designs as opposed to the movie design) but i thought the writing was ....''meh'' at best. I've softened on that stance a bit (likely because the art was so good lol). I'd be thrilled with a David Walker written Rebirth armor Victor Stone. David without question put Victor on the right path.

Get rid of the 3/5 robot face (interesting number historically speaking) and put a quality writer on a Cyborg story. Please.
    Last edited by Customizer; 01-10-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Vic was great in Doom Patrol he’s happy, confident, and pretty much the man in that universe. I loved the parts where he was responding to fan girls on dating apps.
    Yeah, that's what was missing from every version save the animated Cyborg-- genuine joy in what he does. Even Batman looks back on his years with Dick as the dynamic duo or his World's Finest adventures with Clark and smiles.

Being eternally grim works for characters like The Spectre, but it never really clicked with Cyborg for me. Even during NTT/other lineups, he was always someone I liked a bit but never a real favorite (and that's a shame, there's a lot of potential there).

When a character hates their lot in life and never gets a break, it gets old fast. DP!Vic had a lot of drama to sift through, but he felt three dimensional and I could totally see this kid one day making it into the big leagues. It really did feel like a future superstar on his rookie team. More than any other incarnation of the character, he felt complete and like the guy I wish graduated to the Justice League as opposed to what we've seen of him on it thus far.

For solo outings, what does everyone suggest?
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-10-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Doom Patrol was really good! while I'd say Watchmen is probably a better-produced show and more prestigious, Doom Patrol is the best live-action comic book show from DC of last year; it felt like a weird ass comic book come to life. heart, humor, and action? it was a blast, definitely should check it out.
    I will try to check this out.

BANNED

A question for Cyborg fans, with whom super heroine/ villain/ civil/ vigilante do you ship him?

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    A question for Cyborg fans, with whom super heroine/ villain/ civil/ vigilante do you ship him?
    Nobody as of right now. I can imagine him getting some dates on Tinder or something, but Vic needs to work himself out first. He's always so morose and such a mess that he wouldn't be able to really offer anything to someone else. It's one thing to have issues, but Vic usually gets lost in the "am I even human" argument and cannot conclusively make peace with himself, ergo eventually his significant other would admit he's a TI-84 and move on. On Doom Patrol, I can see that Victor Stone having a relationship. What I've read in the comics? I don't see it working out at this juncture.

Admittedly, I haven't read him solo that often. My understanding of his status quo could be off, so please reeducate me if so.

Perhaps the answer actually is digital/mechanical? Hook him up with a sentient AI? Perhaps Doc Magnus spurns Platinum one too many times and Vic bonds with her? If we're going to debate if Vic's even human (and he is, however enhanced), why not play a bit more with the other side of the coin?
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-11-2020 at 03:29 PM.