Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    At the very least I'd like a story arc in someone's book dedicated to Vic's history and sorting things out. I'd love a Cyborg series or mini again, but I'd accept him getting the focus of an arc in JL or something instead.

But I'd make this suggestion:

After being a Titan, Vic eventually joins the League.....and in his first mission with them, deals with the Darkseid invasion and gets his New Gods upgrade. Have him join the League first (and he did join them shortly before the New52 in Robinson's replacement League) because otherwise it looks like they only take him because he got more powerful. Let Vic earn his spot on his own merits, and not because he got hooked up to a Mother Box.
    You know what that is a much better idea, go with that. However I also want to see Cyborg earn his DC you/Rebirth level powers where he could shift his appearance. I’ve always argued for Cyborg to freely change how robotic he looks so he’s not always drawn as a tank robot with half a human face, he should be able to go from slightly robotic to full on armored power house if he so chooses.
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-19-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I agree completely.

The way I'd like to see it handled is that Vic's "default" appearance is somewhat akin to the DCYOU era Reis costume; he looks roughly half machine but very clearly isn't just a robot with half a face. Vic's whole thing is being a fusion of man and machine so you gotta keep that visual in line with the thematics, and that means both skin *and* cybernetics.

But Vic can, at will, change his appearance. He can make himself look completely normal, or he can "armor up" even more for extra protection. So when Vic goes to the movies with Wally, Donna, Dick and Raven? He's just another dude in the crowd. When he's charging across a battlefield with the League trying to defeat the Secret Society of Supervillains, he can go full on "Jim Lee walking tank."

This could help sell the threat level; if Vic is just fighting dudes in his default appearance, he's not very worried about the outcome or getting hurt. When he goes full on "battle armor" you know he's taking sh*t seriously.

And, arguably most important for Cyborg as a marketable property; this makes him very toy-etic. You could sell dozens of action figures, each one with a different armor set-up, not unlike how Batman sells "underwater armor" toys and "stealth black suit" toys and "arctic warfare" toys.

As for "earning" the ability to change his appearance, I figure you could make it a program he writes and develops himself, before he gets the Mother Box. That would highlight his intellect and ability and not just be an application of his powers. Hell, maybe creating the program on his own is what gets him into the League? Maybe they look at him and say "Hey you did that on your own? That is some high level R&D computer magic and we could use a guy with that kind of skill, come hang out with us!"
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-19-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

I agree completely.

The way I'd like to see it handled is that Vic's "default" appearance is somewhat akin to the DCYOU era Reis costume; he looks roughly half machine but very clearly isn't just a robot with half a face. Vic's whole thing is being a fusion of man and machine so you gotta keep that visual in line with the thematics, and that means both skin *and* cybernetics.

But Vic can, at will, change his appearance. He can make himself look completely normal, or he can "armor up" even more for extra protection. So when Vic goes to the movies with Wally, Donna, Dick and Raven? He's just another dude in the crowd. When he's charging across a battlefield with the League trying to defeat the Secret Society of Supervillains, he can go full on "Jim Lee walking tank."

This could help sell the threat level; if Vic is just fighting dudes in his default appearance, he's not very worried about the outcome or getting hurt. When he goes full on "battle armor" you know he's taking sh*t seriously.

And, arguably most important for Cyborg as a marketable property; this makes him very toy-etic. You could sell dozens of action figures, each one with a different armor set-up, not unlike how Batman sells "underwater armor" toys and "stealth black suit" toys and "arctic warfare" toys.

As for "earning" the ability to change his appearance, I figure you could make it a program he writes and develops himself, before he gets the Mother Box. That would highlight his intellect and ability and not just be an application of his powers. Hell, maybe creating the program on his own is what gets him into the League? Maybe they look at him and say "Hey you did that on your own? That is some high level R&D computer magic and we could use a guy with that kind of skill, come hang out with us!"
    This would be the number 1 incentive for DC to go with battle morphing forms. If they haven't thought of doing that I don't believe we'll see them doing it at all. I've tried to delve into fanfiction to get some well written stories with Cy, but it seems even they don't want to write stories about him. It's like being thirsty on top of a frozen lake.

Ultimate Member

I agree completely.

Say that again for the folks in the back.

And before anyone says it won't work-go down the toy isle and see how many versions of Iron Man, Peter Parker and ESPECIALLY Batman there are.

Along with all the variations of WWE folks. Ignore Undertaker and SHawn Michael-go look at New Day. There still versions of New Day that haven't sniffed a figure-they are still about 4 years behind in their outfits alone. Xavier Woods in his Power Ranger and Deadpool and TMNT outfits haven't made a figure.

Cyborg could have more figures than anyone and unlike others we would have seen him in those outfits.

This would be the number 1 incentive for DC to go with battle morphing forms. If they haven't thought of doing that I don't believe we'll see them doing it at all. I've tried to delve into fanfiction to get some well written stories with Cy, but it seems even they don't want to write stories about him. It's like being thirsty on top of a frozen lake.
    Depends on one thing how many already existing toy molds do they have.

Toy companies have used old toy molds for other figures MANY times.

Go look at GI Joe-there is a reason you saw so many ripoffs-they sold the molds to other companies.
    X-O Squad-some of their toys were from MASK
    Wonder Woman's aborted toyline in the 90s was nothing more than She Ra toys repainted.

In Cyborg's case you got his head mold. They got enough stuff to toss some figures together for a quick sale. Including Doom Patrol Cyborg. A previous figure has that suit seat he wears. We Are Robin Duke Thomas could be repainted to look like him.
    Last edited by skyvolt2000; 08-19-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Yeah, I don't much about toys, but I know marketing and Cyborg could be pretty damn great as a toy line.

Honestly, you could get a pretty fantastic mythos for Vic if you just looked around at the various versions of him across media and boiled them all together. TTGO! has that pop rock world with the Evil Dragon, the whole "The Night Begins to Shine" stuff with the song, that's a whole world for Vic to explore in comics. He could take Mokkari and Symian and the Evil Factory from Apokolips and add them to his rogues galley, since nobody else ever bothers to do much with those lesser New Gods. One of the solo books introduced a digital world. You've got STAR Labs. Vic could take some of the villains from the Titans and add them to his rogues gallery, with Jinx serving as a femme fatale "star crossed love interest" to play against Sara Charles.

It's weird, Cyborg's solo mythology is like a puzzle where you have all the pieces but nobody's put it together yet. But if you did, you'd have a really well rounded and fleshed out solo setting with a wide variety of elements. I hated that both of Vic's solo books were just "computer and tech based threats." So boring and narrow! Being the League's resident tech god might be the niche Vic is in, but no successful character's mythology is limited to just their primary niche.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, I don't much about toys, but I know marketing and Cyborg could be pretty damn great as a toy line.

Honestly, you could get a pretty fantastic mythos for Vic if you just looked around at the various versions of him across media and boiled them all together. TTGO! has that pop rock world with the Evil Dragon, the whole "The Night Begins to Shine" stuff with the song, that's a whole world for Vic to explore in comics. He could take Mokkari and Symian and the Evil Factory from Apokolips and add them to his rogues galley, since nobody else ever bothers to do much with those lesser New Gods. One of the solo books introduced a digital world. You've got STAR Labs. Vic could take some of the villains from the Titans and add them to his rogues gallery, with Jinx serving as a femme fatale "star crossed love interest" to play against Sara Charles.

It's weird, Cyborg's solo mythology is like a puzzle where you have all the pieces but nobody's put it together yet. But if you did, you'd have a really well rounded and fleshed out solo setting with a wide variety of elements. I hated that both of Vic's solo books were just "computer and tech based threats." So boring and narrow! Being the League's resident tech god might be the niche Vic is in, but no successful character's mythology is limited to just their primary niche.
    I think they should bring Rori (I think that was her name) from the Doom Patrol as a love interest/femme fatale into the comics. She’s really compelling on the show

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I think they should bring Rori (I think that was her name) from the Doom Patrol as a love interest/femme fatale into the comics. She’s really compelling on the show
    It's Roni, she was based on Ron Evers and maybe Variant i think.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I think I know why I like Vic in Doom Patrol so much. He gets to be an actual character instead of a action figure/swiss army knife, an actual moving piece in the story.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Yea, the digital universe has massive potential! It's arguably the biggest contribution to the Cyborg mythos since his Mother Box tech. A collective mindspace of countless alien civilizations that have undergone a singularity and total digitization? There's a lot of cosmic/dimension-hopping stories that can be told with that setting.

Military contractors using VR training tech to mine logic crystals in digital dead zones and create weapons for the black market. Magitech civilizations that locked away nanotech demons worshiped by dark cults on Earth. Entire dreamscape-like cities threatened by Technosapiens, so much could be done with just the Digiverse. Add in the Evil Factory, Darkseid's long-lost son Grayven, HIVE, and a sect of the Church of Blood and you got a strong basis for a Cyborg rogues gallery.

From there all you gotta do is make Cyborg a compelling character to follow solo and give him a strong core and extended supporting cast and he should be able to work. With DC downsizing, that seems unlikely to happen now but it'd be great if we could get Cyborg minis or OGNs with those types of concepts.

Every once in a while I like to think of what I'd do for a Cyborg run, in addition to what I'd bring in from previous Cyborg runs and stories.

The idea of body shops from the Walker run and how Semper mentioned the syndicate and introduced that gangster villain would be nice to see explored more. Would definitely help flesh out his city more. I would like to see some gangsters to local politicians having hands in the body shops and the idea that the number have expanded since Cyborg's been focused on other stuff most of the time. It was only mentioned in like the first arc of the Walker run, so after all this time, who knows what could be going on with that.

Definitely give him an home again or base outside of STAR he can go to as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborguy View Post
    Every once in a while I like to think of what I'd do for a Cyborg run, in addition to what I'd bring in from previous Cyborg runs and stories.

The idea of body shops from the Walker run and how Semper mentioned the syndicate and introduced that gangster villain would be nice to see explored more. Would definitely help flesh out his city more. I would like to see some gangsters to local politicians having hands in the body shops and the idea that the number have expanded since Cyborg's been focused on other stuff most of the time. It was only mentioned in like the first arc of the Walker run, so after all this time, who knows what could be going on with that.

How do you feel about the idea of Cyborg staying in Detroit? It always felt weird to me that DC pushed him into a real life city when pretty much all their A-listers have a fictional city to play in without the burden of reality. I would much prefer if Cy moved to his own city, maybe his mom's original hometown? Would also be a good way to get him away from the lab and give him space away from his dad.

Other than that, the idea of body shops and illegal cybernetics is great. After all these alien invasions you'd think there'd be a substantial black market of surgeons and smugglers trafficking in body enhancements. Cyborg is uniquely qualified to deal with that stuff.
    Last edited by chief12d; 08-23-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I think I know why I like Vic in Doom Patrol so much. He gets to be an actual character instead of a action figure/swiss army knife, an actual moving piece in the story.
    They also do a far better job balancing his angst with giving him an actual personality.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    How do you feel about the idea of Cyborg staying in Detroit? It always felt weird to me that DC pushed him into a real life city when pretty much all their A-listers have a fictional city to play in without the burden of reality. I would much prefer if Cy moved to his own city, maybe his mom's original hometown? Would also be a good way to get him away from the lab and give him space away from his dad.

Other than that, the idea of body shops and illegal cybernetics is great. After all these alien invasions you'd think there'd be a substantial black market of surgeons and smugglers trafficking in body enhancements. Cyborg is uniquely qualified to deal with that stuff.
    Im not a fan of him being from Detroit, but it's whatever. I'd rather he have a fictional city to work with tho. I know there's a few heroes that are in Detroit, but Vic never really interacted with them.and certainly not in any of his books. I definitely think there's more room to work with creating landmarks and such.

Aside from some of the characters like Silas, Sarah and Exxy and Black Narcissus (who'd I love to see more of), I was thinking Bumblebee should be assimilated into Cyborg's world. Bumblebee, like Cyborg, is loved outside of comics, and Bumblebee especially doesn't get used in comics very often. Obviously both tech based characters, Titans/HIVE connections, etc.

Astonishing Member

Im not a fan of him being from Detroit, but it's whatever. I'd rather he have a fictional city to work with tho. I know there's a few heroes that are in Detroit, but Vic never really interacted with them.and certainly not in any of his books. I definitely think there's more room to work with creating landmarks and such.

Aside from some of the characters like Silas, Sarah and Exxy and Black Narcissus (who'd I love to see more of), I was thinking Bumblebee should be assimilated into Cyborg's world. Bumblebee, like Cyborg, is loved outside of comics, and Bumblebee especially doesn't get used in comics very often. Obviously both tech based characters, Titans/HIVE connections, etc.
    Yea that's what I was thinking too. It's limiting to tell a DC superhero story in a real city in comparison to just making a fictional one. I would've loved if DC sent Cyborg to a made-up city where his mom used to live down South.

The way I see it, most solo characters have a core supporting cast and an extended one. The core supporting characters typically appear issue to issue and get development alongside the main hero (though obviously not to the same degree). The extended cast tend to appear every other arc or so and are used depending on the situation/type of story.

I think Sarah and Exxy (with a few updates) work as part of that core cast. I think they need to shift Silas away from being the dominant supporting character in Cyborg's life and move him into a secondary, extended role. Bumblebee fits in that mold too since she's into tech and a former Titan. Especially if they could bring back the friendship she has with Sarah.

Back in Vic's Titans days, there was an issue or two centered around Sarah going to lunch with Karen and Mal and you could tell they were close. It should definitely be revealed they went to college together and continue their friendship despite working for different employers (Sarah with STAR and Karen with Palmer Industries). I'd also throw in Beast Boy and some kind of being from the Digital Universe into that extended supporting cast.

I would bring back his cat Smokey!