Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I also think Vic should take the Fearsome Five as his rogues. You've got a great variety of powers and skills in that group, and Vic fighting all of them on his own shows how much he's grown and improved since his youth with the NTT. You've got Gizmo, who could make for a pretty solid archnemesis if he got some effort, you've got a potential femme fatale semi-love interest in Jinx, you've got Mammoth and I'm willing to bet you could build some common ground with the giant monster-looking dude and Vic.....and there's of course tons of history to draw from and build off of.
    I would not mind having the Fearsome Five as Cyborg's rogues, they would most likely be treated better than being villains of the Teen Titans and Titans, even though they have a history with the teams. Gizmo, Mammoth and Jinx seem to be part of Cyborg's list of enemies in the Teen Titans cartoon series, with Gizmo as being a diminutive tech user which opposes to Cyborg being a tall jock imbued with augmented cybernetic technology I would have Gizmo to be one of the best hackers and profound experts on technology, Mammoth and Cyborg would be a parallel between atavism and cybernetic evolution instead of being just a brute/henchman I would make him an excellent hunter and tracker by using his enhanced senses which opposes to Cyborg's built-in navigation systems, and for Jinx since Cyborg is a semi-divine being I was thinking of having Jinx to be an agent of chaos and keeping her as his femme fatale/sometimes love interest as well as having duality between magic versus science. Do not know what to do with Shimmer and Psimon, the latter I believe seems to be a good villain for Raven due to his origins, and the former could just be an enemy of Cyborg due to association with her brother.

The original villains from the Teen Titans cartoons, Atlas and Fixit would be a strong addition to Cyborg's rogues, Fixit just like in the TV show would be an eventual ally. Ultralak from the Teen Titans Go!: Night Begins to Shine, would be a nice addition also. The Nightshine dimension could have a connection to the New Gods or any other cosmic/multiversal beings since they do focus on rhythms, and the multiverse has a theme of music.

Is Ultralak the dragon? Yeah I would steal that whole set up for Vic. Crazy 80's music dimension, cyborg animals, evil dragon, the whole damn thing.

I wouldn't connect it directly to the Fourth World or any other established construct though, Vic needs stuff that belongs to him and him alone. We're talking about the Fourth World and Titans villains and all this stuff that isn't Cyborg-centric, and the guy needs elements in his mythos that don't come from somewhere else. The Nightshine (is that the official name or did you make it up? I like it) might originate in the cartoon but is completely wrapped up in Vic's story.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Is Ultralak the dragon? Yeah I would steal that whole set up for Vic. Crazy 80's music dimension, cyborg animals, evil dragon, the whole damn thing.
    Ultralak is the character that looks like Darth Vader and was the main villain of the 4-Parter episodes, the Dragon does not have a name he is just called 'Evil Dragon' in the TTGo wiki website. Yeah, they should incorporate the Nightshine dimension to his mythos, since it is a blend of science and fantasy which Cyborg already is thanks to the Mother Box.

I wouldn't connect it directly to the Fourth World or any other established construct though, Vic needs stuff that belongs to him and him alone. We're talking about the Fourth World and Titans villains and all this stuff that isn't Cyborg-centric, and the guy needs elements in his mythos that don't come from somewhere else. The Nightshine (is that the official name or did you make it up? I like it) might originate in the cartoon but is completely wrapped up in Vic's story.
    After looking at your quote, he does need some original content which belongs to him, and not borrowing established content from other character's mythos. He could be the first one to discover and interact with the Nightshine dimension. I like having Cyborg having a connection with the Fourth World but the Nightshine dimension could work as being separate to the Fourth World and the Titans mythos.

Edit: The official name of the dimension is called 'The Land of the Night Shine Dimension' which Starfire referred. I just call it the Nightshine dimension to make it easier and quicker to type.
    Last edited by Incognito; 09-28-2020 at 08:02 AM.

BANNED

I would use both Ultralak and the Dragon (who I think is just called Dragon).

There's some pretty cool stuff there with Jinx and Night Begins to Shine that could be used to make the character's world neat. The stuff the comics tend to focus on like the S.T.A.R. Labs setting and Sarah Charles tend to be reeeeeeeaaaaaallllly boring to me -____-
    I haven't been able to get into that stuff at all, or at least not the way it's been presented.

Astonishing Member

Well DC already makes the Titans look incompetent so Vic taking down the Five by himself isn't gonna hurt what's already dead.

I look at it like this; there's no drama left in the Titans (as a team) fighting the Five. They've been doing that since they were kids and it's played out. We've watched the Titans grow, becoming more experienced and powerful, and while the Five have done the same in theory, we don't see it. So it ends up looking like a NBA team playing against their old high school rivals, but those rivals are still in high school and are not any better at the game than they used to be. It ends up looking like the Titans are either punching down, or haven't become any more effective than they were at 16, and it's underwhelming either way. If the Five had been shown to grow and improve as the Titans have, it'd be a different story but for the most part the Five are just using the same old tricks with the same old powers and limitations. We've seen the Titans grow, we haven't seen the Five do the same.

And Vic's a Fourth World demigod now. DC acts like the only thing that did was let him open Boom Tubes, but if they gave a **** and wrote this to its potential then Vic has seen a power upgrade well beyond anything any other Titan or Titan villain has seen (except maybe Wally). Vic should be operating on a Superman-like scale and scope now, and the idea that he needs the old Titans gang to handle the Five is sort of like Superman needing the entire League to take down Toyman. It's overkill. But with Vic on his own and the Five focused on him instead of having to split their attention between Titans, they have a chance of being dangerous; they've got the numbers advantage, their combined powerset means Vic has to deploy multiple countermeasures to contain them....it could strain Vic's abilities if he's on his own, and you could get a good fight out of it with real stakes in a believable way I just don't think you can accomplish with the full Titans team anymore.

But I'm a big advocate of the NTT being written as more competent than DC usually allows. If I had my way, most of the old Titans villains would be given to individual Titans now; Nightwing would be handling the HIVE on his own, Vic would be dealing with the Five himself, Kori would be taking on Gordanian invasions single handed, etc. I want to show that the NTT aren't kids anymore, that they've grown up to equal (if not surpass) their mentors. And if they still all need help to deal with threats they faced as kids? They don't look very competent or improved, they look like they stalled out in high school.

I mean, nobody is going to accept Wally West struggling to deal with the Mad Mod right? Wally became (much, much) faster and more experienced and learned new things and we wouldn't believe that the Mad Mod is a legit threat to him now like we would when Wally was a kid. So why is Vic any different? He should be one of the most powerful beings in the universe now and the idea that he still needs help to deal with a group like the Five? I just don't buy it.
    I can't say I disagree with anything you've said, Vic should have the power to take them on while still keeping the Five's threat level up. And it does fit well with the idea of him having grown past his teenaged heroics. Plus there's some great characters that he can relate to, whether they be Jinx as a love interest or Gizmo as his mad scientist rival. I'd be sold on the Fearsome Five as rogues when you put it like that. I'd just hope that a writer can lean into those Titan roots without failing to develop an original rogues gallery and mythos, which is something you and others have touched on in other posts.

Astonishing Member

S.T.A.R Labs as a general concept works within the Cyborg mythos, it's just how it's presented. There's no personality to it as an organization and outside his dad (who could still use some work), there's no real compelling characters in sight. Even Sarah Charles is imo in need of a massive revamp characterization-wise, which is why if her and Vic got their Titans history back you could probably make her a bit more experienced and lighthearted in the world of superheroics he inhabits. I think she should be Vic's main love interest, it's just she's not nearly as interesting as she used to be.

What I'd like to see is STAR being played up as a part of the military industrial complex and making it less a standard tech firm. Morally dubious, more alien tech, and things like that. It should be a bigger player in DC's espionage/security organization corner. Why the comics use it as just a silver and grey backdrop for Vic's existential crises is beyond me.

Either way, I'm not even that big a fan of Vic staying in a single city that much anyway. I'd like if he had a base of operations and had the support of a lab team, but really I think he should be launching strikes on targets in the Digital Universe, fighting Technosapiens in deep space, and stuff like that.

It'd be a nice change to see him switch between Earth-bound and cosmic stories like Superman and Green Lantern. Hell, why not make the Nightshine Dimension a part of the Digital Universe? That thing should be even bigger than the physical universe, so it's possible there are entire digital ecosystems and landmasses we haven't seen yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    S.T.A.R Labs as a general concept works within the Cyborg mythos, it's just how it's presented. There's no personality to it as an organization and outside his dad (who could still use some work), there's no real compelling characters in sight. Even Sarah Charles is imo in need of a massive revamp characterization-wise, which is why if her and Vic got their Titans history back you could probably make her a bit more experienced and lighthearted in the world of superheroics he inhabits. I think she should be Vic's main love interest, it's just she's not nearly as interesting as she used to be.

What I'd like to see is STAR being played up as a part of the military industrial complex and making it less a standard tech firm. Morally dubious, more alien tech, and things like that. It should be a bigger player in DC's espionage/security organization corner. Why the comics use it as just a silver and grey backdrop for Vic's existential crises is beyond me.

Either way, I'm not even that big a fan of Vic staying in a single city that much anyway. I'd like if he had a base of operations and had the support of a lab team, but really I think he should be launching strikes on targets in the Digital Universe, fighting Technosapiens in deep space, and stuff like that.

It'd be a nice change to see him switch between Earth-bound and cosmic stories like Superman and Green Lantern. Hell, why not make the Nightshine Dimension a part of the Digital Universe? That thing should be even bigger than the physical universe, so it's possible there are entire digital ecosystems and landmasses we haven't seen yet.
    It's sad to see and read yours and other post with such an innovative and exciting way to write Vic. Yet the guys in charge seem to lack the ability to perceive Vic as this type of hero with this kind of potential.

Incredible Member

Wow that art. I love.

Rereading Semper's run. The slow burn reads well since it's completed. It's def written like Season 1 of a cartoon.

I really want a new solo series lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    Ultralak is the character that looks like Darth Vader

Edit: The official name of the dimension is called 'The Land of the Night Shine Dimension' which Starfire referred. I just call it the Nightshine dimension to make it easier and quicker to type.
    Oh okay, I know who you're talking about now. Yeah, I'd definitely keep Ultralak and the Dragon, there's two solid rogues Vic can claim as his own right there. I'm not a cartoon guy but my daughter loves TTGO! and I've come to really appreciate the surprising (for a show like this) depth and consistency they give the characters. I mean, have the comics ever even touched on Beast Boy being vegan or Vic having a love for that 80's pop rock type music?

And I like just calling it the Nightshine. Only so much room on a comic page for text, yknow?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    What I'd like to see is STAR being played up as a part of the military industrial complex and making it less a standard tech firm. Morally dubious, more alien tech, and things like that.
    Bendis beat you to it. His Superman and Young Justice dealt a fair amount with STAR going rogue. Or at least a real big branch, anyway. I doubt the entire organization will be treated that way, since it includes people like Silas, but STAR has been responsible for sending Superboy (Conner) into other dimensions to keep him quiet, they sent the entire earth into the Phantom Zone (a honest mistake, but one born of very illegal experiments) and I forget what else.

I agree. I like the idea of Vic having some connections to the Lab, and he needs a home base to rest his feet after his adventures, but there is literally no limit to where he can go; the entire multiverse is his to explore, the god sphere is a place he can access, hell he might even be able to reach Monitor space for all we know.

In my head, a Cyborg solo comic would be like a modernized Silver Age Superman. Big scope, lots of variety in theme and setting and tone, lots of heart. Grant Morrison talks about how the best Superman stories are, at their core, about mundane regular human emotions and moments, all cranked up to 11. Vic needs to be treated the same way. If DC bothered to do that, I feel like Vic could become extremely successful; a modern hero for the 21st century. But DC has got to let go of the NTT nostalgia; it's a chain that is choking the life out of every franchise and character it touches.

As for all the Fourth World and Titans stuff (including the Five), I figure all that is a good place to start. Those are long-standing, popular franchises that a lot of fans are familiar with and Vic ties easily into them. He needs his own world and setting, supporting cast and villains, and all of that....but you're almost building that stuff from the ground up, and while you're establishing all these new ideas and characters that readers aren't emotionally invested in, it'd do Vic some good to be able to slip in some stories about stuff readers recognize.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultralak could be a big behind the scenes villain for Cyborg (like Ras al-Ghul, Brainiac, Ares) the evil ruler of the Nightshine Dimension who needs Cyborg's tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Ultralak could be a big behind the scenes villain for Cyborg (like Ras al-Ghul, Brainiac, Ares) the evil ruler of the Nightshine Dimension who needs Cyborg's tech.
    Oh I like it! There's legs on that idea. I'm totally stealing this for my "Cyborg bible that only exists in my head." Sorry not sorry.

~ Black Panther.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

After today's issue of JL and almost catching up on season 2 of Doom Patrol, Cyborg should always be wearing clothes now. He should've never stopped since NTT but he went through so much transformations after NTT that I think artist just forgot or couldn't care to draw him in clothes.

written by TIM SHERIDAN
    art and cover by RAFA SANDOVAL
    card stock variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    ON SALE 1/12/21
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES | 1 OF 2 | FC | DC
    CARD STOCK COVER $4.99 US
    When the original New Teen Titans formed a school to mentor and train young heroes, they wanted to help save the world. Years later, Titans Tower is a monument to a graveyard of pupils lost in a terrible battle. Returning to the site of their greatest failure, Nightwing, Starfire, Beast Boy, and Cyborg join Raven to plot a course to face off against the evil that destroyed their team and school. Loyalties are questioned and motives are suspect as the former teen heroes must turn to the mysterious Red X—a former student—for help. Don't miss the first comics appearance of this Red X, previously seen only in the hit animated TV series Teen Titans Go!

More of Cyborg's past history restored.