Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Jinx looks more interesting in the show, kinda boring her look on comics. Jinx show >>>>> comics version.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Some of the recent discussions are a good example why I still, to this day, have difficulty understanding the psychology of many a Cyborg fan. I'm pointing it out with this character because I honestly don't think I've ever seen something like this with any other character.

What I'm talking about is when his fans are like, "Well, I don't like any of Cyborg's stories. A good Cyborg story hasn't been written yet. Yeah, I also don't like his design, either. By the way, Cyborg is my favorite character." And I'm sitting here like o____O

It's like there's an admittance, in a way, that this character is...well...not good, but the people who will admit that have some attraction to him. The expected answer is "the potential." You've got to understand, though, "the potential" is fanfiction...or not even that...headcanons...and maybe not even that, just hazy ideas thrown back and forth among fans on the net. The character is really only what DC makes of it.

Well, whatever the case is, it's a pretty interesting phenomenon.
    To me, Cyborg is pretty fascinating. I was never a fan during his early days but I understood Johns’ interest in him at the start of the New 52. There have been numerous legit scientific articles written about how cybernetics could be the next phase of human evolution. I immediately saw the amazing potential of the character. Sadly, Johns was incredibly short sighted and focused far too much on the tragic “monstrous” nature of the character. While Cyborg should/could have been a link between human and meta human (and even comic book god), Johns wanted him to be more like Marvel’s The Thing.

Let’s not act like their are good characters and bad characters. Gail Simone made Catman (yes, Catman!) a total badass and a cult favorite. Almost any character can be made great. Vic has all the tools but tptb have squandered them. In all my many many years of reading comics I don’t think I’ve seen a character with so much wasted potential. Call it fanfic, but the fact that this character with an interesting concept has been managed so poorly is such a bummer. The Walker/Reis run gave us a glimpse of what Vic could be as a hero, but all the progress was immediately deleted by Didio. A big part of a character’s appeal is their design. Reis showed that Cyborg can look amazing if done correctly. It’s so frustrating that DC keeps putting him back in generic armor.

It’s crazy that so many fans are begging DC to take Vic in a certain direction and time and time again they take the opposite route.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Would have been nice if they didn't whitewash her.
    I would love to see a dark skinned goth girl.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-11-2020 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Well, whatever the case is, it's a pretty interesting phenomenon.
    Well, first off this is Vic's appreciation thread. No one should have to justify why we like Vic. There's other threads for that.

Secondly you know who else is a team based character with virtually no solo material to stand on and/or questionable design aesthetics? The Martian Manhunter. Vixen. Every X-Men not named Logan. The Fantastic Four. Scarlet Witch. Wasp. Beast Boy. Yet I don't see anyone challenging those fandoms about "why" they like those characters.

Vic gets treated better in media adaptations than he does in the comics. Young Justice, TTGO!, Teen Titans, Doom Patrol, the Lego movies and games, etc. And even though he sided with Superman in Injustice, Vic was still a cool, competent badass who was sympathetic and tons of fun to play. And he was one of the only highlights in Justice League. And from what I've seen of those direct-to-DvD animated movies, it seems like he's fairly well written there too, though I don't really watch any of those so I could be wrong.

When people talk about Vic's potential, they're talking about wanting to see the quality we already have in adaptations brought into the comics. No one is pulling this stuff out of our asses; we're talking about it because it's already been done everywhere except the books.

In the comics, yeah it's a pretty damn sad state of affairs. But even then it's not like it's a complete wasteland. Vic and Gar's friendship is a major bromance in DC (used to be way bigger back when NTT was around and worth reading), Walker's run was quality, Vic had a fantastic role in Flashpoint, I personally thought Vic had a great showing in Forever Evil too, and there's plenty of moments where Vic gets to show off his worth; saving his team or showing off his skills and intellect or getting nice character moments with his friends, or what have you. It's sparse, yes, but it's not completely devoid of value either.

I get you're not a fan, and that's cool. Looking at the comics I can't blame you. But Vic's potential is realized outside of comics, where he's got a fairly impressive resume, and his fans just want to see that quality brought home to the source material.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-11-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

My favorite version of Cyborg is the one from Doom Patrol (tv series)

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    Jinx looks more interesting in the show, kinda boring her look on comics. Jinx show >>>>> comics version.
    I'd say the comic version is more unique. It isn't often you see a bald, Indian woman while cartoon Jinx is one of many goth girls.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I totally reject the idea that Cyborg needs to be on a team, he has a ton of potential as a solo hero and icon. Honestly the sky really is the limit in terms of cool, modern stories to be told with him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I totally reject the idea that Cyborg needs to be on a team, he has a ton of potential as a solo hero and icon. Honestly the sky really is the limit in terms of cool, modern stories to be told with him.
    Cyborg needs to LEAD a team and not get his position as leader usurped to push another character.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Cyborg needs to LEAD a team and not get his position as leader usurped to push another character.
    Part of the problem is he's usually put on teams with more popular characters, if only to boost sales, and they are usually established leaders in their own right or slowly steal the spotlight because they're inarguably more popular.

Black Canary had that problem when she lead the Justice League. She never really called the shots for all that long and was a puppet leader long before she resigned. I feel Vic will suffer that date the minute one of the big seven, Nightwing or a Robin show up.

A rotating team-up book where he's the anchor may work, though I admit I suggest that for most characters.

Incredible Member

For clarification ....

David Walkers run was erased by Rebirth (which is a part of the current DC continuity)? None of it is currently "canon" ?
    Don't complain. Create.

Vic was the leader and head trainer of the Teen Titans in Johns’ Teen Titans book. Too bad most of the focus went to the YJ 4, though. I can only afford to read a few books every month, so I don’t get to read it, but I thought that Vic was the leader of JL: Odyssey?

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    For clarification ....

David Walkers run was erased by Rebirth (which is a part of the current DC continuity)? None of it is currently "canon" ?
    Are you sure? Not everything was erased by Rebirth.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Vic was the leader and head trainer of the Teen Titans in Johns’ Teen Titans book. Too bad most of the focus went to the YJ 4, though. I can only afford to read a few books every month, so I don’t get to read it, but I thought that Vic was the leader of JL: Odyssey?
    Vic WAS the leader of JLO but he and Starfire are currently mind controlled by Darkseid. Jessica Cruz is now leading the team.

Cyborg training the TT was one of the few good thibgs that Johns did in his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Secondly you know who else is a team based character with virtually no solo material to stand on and/or questionable design aesthetics? The Martian Manhunter. Vixen. Every X-Men not named Logan. The Fantastic Four. Scarlet Witch. Wasp. Beast Boy. Yet I don't see anyone challenging those fandoms about "why" they like those characters.
    Thank you!

When people talk about Vic's potential, they're talking about wanting to see the quality we already have in adaptations brought into the comics. No one is pulling this stuff out of our asses; we're talking about it because it's already been done everywhere except the books.
    We’re just looking to the time when DC cares enough to put it all together for Vic within the pages.
    Last edited by Iconic; 01-12-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Vic WAS the leader of JLO but he and Starfire are currently mind controlled by Darkseid. Jessica Cruz is now leading the team.

Cyborg training the TT was one of the few good thibgs that Johns did in his run.
    DC always finds a way to push Vic to the background in team books. Even his own creators (Wolfman & Perez) did that to Vic a few times in NTT.

Vic needs a book of his own again. But they need to put a big name creative team on it to ensure that it sells because nowadays fans follow creators more than they do characters (which sucks because it didn’t used to be that way)

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Are you sure? Not everything was erased by Rebirth.
    Vic's New 52 stuff would at least need to be retconned though. The first Justice League arc in New 52 was also Cyborg's origin story. Maybe that could be retconned as him sustaining heavy damage in JLA #59, his last pre-Flashpoint appearance, where he'd been controlled by Eclipso. Or have him take part in that era's Teen Titans' final battle against Superboy Prime, which he didn't originally, and get defeated. So his body gets rebuilt, and he joined the League after being repaired, instead of as soon as he becomes Cyborg. That same JL arc, of course, would also now feature an older Superman instead of a rookie version, who wouldn't get together with Wonder Woman as he's already married to Lois.

Unfortunately, the solo book isn't so easily salvaged, since Vic's father Silas is alive. He'd been dead since not long after Vic became Cyborg in the old continuity, so if you combine the continuities he should no longer be there. And since Sarah Charles is also in that book you can't just give Silas's role to her. Sarah was also de-aged in the reboot, 17, instead of 28 as she was originally, so that would also complicate matters.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-12-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman