Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    It's quite stupid and old the whole "hero vs hero" thing. Batman will always want to fight because he's as mad as his friends of Arkham, but Spider-Man would go "We are all supposed to be the good guys, so why are we wasting time punching each other instead of going after the bad guys?". Even when Spidey is all right, Batman will just ignore and fight him just because.
    They actually did tackle that in a Spider-Man/Batman crossover from the 90s, with Spidey telling Bats that they could either waste time with the same old preliminary song and dance, or skip to the good part where they remembered they were both good guys and turned their attentions to the actual bad guys (in this case, Ra's al Ghul and Kingpin).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They actually did tackle that in a Spider-Man/Batman crossover from the 90s, with Spidey telling Bats that they could either waste time with the same old preliminary song and dance, or skip to the good part where they remembered they were both good guys and turned their attentions to the actual bad guys (in this case, Ra's al Ghul and Kingpin).
    Yeah, I remember that. That's why Spider-Man is always the greatest hero for me. He doesn't lose focus on the task, help people. He's like the conscience for Marvel's heroes.

Fantastic Member

Yeah...as much as I like the Batfam too there's no way this is fair. Hell, it's silly enough that Barbara clocks Gwen (who seems to be her Spiderverse version, so no shitty spider sense excuse) with no warning and it's implied she would've smacked her again if Miles didn't stop her. Nevermind that the Spiders dodge bullets on the daily.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Yeah, I remember that. That's why Spider-Man is always the greatest hero for me. He doesn't lose focus on the task, help people. He's like the conscience for Marvel's heroes.
    Kind of like Green Arrow in Justice League Unlimited serving as the overall conscience for the League.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Yeah...as much as I like the Batfam too there's no way this is fair. Hell, it's silly enough that Barbara clocks Gwen (who seems to be her Spiderverse version, so no shitty spider sense excuse) with no warning and it's implied she would've smacked her again if Miles didn't stop her. Nevermind that the Spiders dodge bullets on the daily.
    Yeah, it does seem kind of silly, but for now, I'm writing it off as dramatic license to make the fight seem more exciting.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Hmm, would you guys read a comic based on Spider-Verse Gwen rather than the Earth-65 one? Given the possibility of Ghost Spider being cancelled and the popularity of Spider-Verse I was wondering if they would relaunch the comic using that version instead. What little we see from her flashbacks indicate that they have similar backstories with the main difference being SV Gwen being far colder and mature despite her younger age.

Hmm, would you guys read a comic based on Spider-Verse Gwen rather than the Earth-65 one? Given the possibility of Ghost Spider being cancelled and the popularity of Spider-Verse I was wondering if they would relaunch the comic using that version instead. What little we see from her flashbacks indicate that they have similar backstories with the main difference being SV Gwen being far colder and mature despite her younger age.
    I dunno, I don't see Marvel plucking a specific version of a character from a movie that was a supporting character and just give them a series (I don't know that they would even be able to legally). Kinda redundant, but regardless it feels like they kinda wet the bed with Spider-Gwen in the comics at this point. The original creative team had such a distinct vision for the character then when they wrapped it everybody else has just been trying to chase that without any of the same panache.

I think they'd probably just make Earth-65 Gwen more like Into the Spider-Verse Gwen then make a book about the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I dunno, I don't see Marvel plucking a specific version of a character from a movie that was a supporting character and just give them a series (I don't know that they would even be able to legally). Kinda redundant, but regardless it feels like they kinda wet the bed with Spider-Gwen in the comics at this point. The original creative team had such a distinct vision for the character then when they wrapped it everybody else has just been trying to chase that without any of the same panache.
    It does feel like they're just continuing the character because they have to for marketing and publicity and not because there's much story left to tell with the character.

Here's an idea. How about having Earth-65 Reed Richards create a trans-dimensional communications chip. It would allow Gwen's cellphone to receive calls from Earths 65 and 616 even when she's on the other one (or neither, as could happen in crossovers). If she had that kind of tech, the barrier stopping her being in team books or guest starring (Marvel Rising vol 2 used Miles even though he's not in the cartoon because Gwen was unavailable) would be gone (Peter and Miles would be able to call on her for help), and there'd no longer need to be a Ghost-Spider series. Then they can just bring back the solo book when someone actually has a decent pitch, instead of just to preserve the trademark or keep the character active. It also means they don't have to keep the "commuting for school" thing going, though of course she does need to keep the ability to travel the multiverse.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The book is over. Here's the farewell message. Contains spoilers.
    https://2.bp.blogspot.com/9JZ4EjDK6Y...6UGVdXSg=s1600

spoilers:
    Gwen gets blackmailed, so she leaves Earth-65 to "focus on her studies". She's now in 616 full time!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Yeah...this was not a good send-off.

spoilers:

Long story short, the Storms were never kidnapped. They went to Doom willingly and trained under him along with letting him experiment on them to get powers. Then apparently years later they just fucking killed him and took over Latveria. Huh? So DOOM didn't think to make countermeasures to make sure his tykebombs couldn't just snap his neck with their new powers? Are you kidding me right now? That's mad science 101! You ALWAYS have a nullifier or counter to make sure your creations can't just fucking kill you when they get bored! Have you not read Frankenstein?

Oh, and apparently the reason the Storms left and went back to New York? Clout chasing. Yeah, Sue and Johnny - mostly Johnny, who weirdly does seem to wanna be a superhero despite his psychotic ass sister and their horrendous methods - wanted to be 'heroes' and now the conflict is that they wanna be the sole heroes and essentially blackmail Gwen into leaving using a forged video claiming she's a criminal and that her loved ones will be hurt if she doesn't comply. All cause they don't wanna share those sweet internet points. Cause apparently in a city full of millions they just can't stand that there's literally one other hero doing ****?

So Gwen leaves for 616. She talks with her dad but then doesn't say a proper goodbye to her band, simply texting them that she's planning to go for reasons unknown and that she'll be back eventually. Great, so now for the forseeable future she'll be stuck in Earth-616 while they either replace Maguire and/or they wait for Spider-Verse 2 so the Gwen hype can ignite again. WTF? THIS is how this ends; Gwen forced to run with her tail between her legs while a psychotic attention whore and a hero wannabe essentially take over her city while Jackal is still a danger to her loved ones? Wow. Latour's run ended on a slightly bitter note but at least Gwen came out stronger for it. Here Gwen just comes across as impotent and her promise that she'll be back is pretty much just 'well **** I guess I gotta wait for my next solo!'.

The only somewhat bright spot is that the author's notes at the end indicate that she's not shifting to 616 permanently. While she's likely to be stuck there till she gets another run - more Spiderverse and Outlawed shenanigans - the letter mentions Jackal and Man-Wolf along with plans to stop the Storms. They even say they're 'already hard at work on Gwen's new adventure', so my guess is they'll go back and give her another run hopefully sooner rather than later. Either way I'm hoping they either replace Maguire or she shapes up and stops making needless filler issues/quits setting up plot points that get resolved badly and/or aren't resolved at all before another baddie pops up.

We also see a bit of Gwen's venom here, notably when it allows her to no sell Sue's choking forcefield by integrating with her lungs and then breathing through the suit. This is something we need to see more of. Gwen rarely uses Venom in this comic outside of the lip service rage mode so having it used as a counter to an enemy's ability was interesting. It's clear that the main reason she even puts up as much of a fight as she does against the Storms is that her suit is able to do things besides just allowing her to punch really hard.
    end of spoilers

Yeah...this really sounds like McGuire's run ending with a meandering whimper instead of a bang, and to tie-in to an event of all things.

I'm guessing Gwen's next appearance will be part of the Outlawed storyline.

Also...is the "interdimensional" aspect so emphasized now? I guess with this run it's been kind of evident, but still.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah...this really sounds like McGuire's run ending with a meandering whimper instead of a bang, and to tie-in to an event of all things.

I'm guessing Gwen's next appearance will be part of the Outlawed storyline.

Also...is the "interdimensional" aspect so emphasized now? I guess with this run it's been kind of evident, but still.
    It’s always been a glaring issue. Latour’s run had Gwen jumping dimensions every 5 issues or so and it really fucked with the scale of things. I want Gwen to stay in Earth-65 and deal with the variations of well known characters. Remember Matt Murderdock? He was one of the best because he played well into Gwen’s weaknesses and insecurities. Gwen’s run was at her best when she was dealing with him and didn’t jump to 616 at the smallest provocation.

It’s always been a glaring issue. Latour’s run had Gwen jumping dimensions every 5 issues or so and it really fucked with the scale of things. I want Gwen to stay in Earth-65 and deal with the variations of well known characters. Remember Matt Murderdock? He was one of the best because he played well into Gwen’s weaknesses and insecurities. Gwen’s run was at her best when she was dealing with him and didn’t jump to 616 at the smallest provocation.
    I don't disagree but frankly that's like expecting Miles to go back to the Ultimate Universe at this point.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Well that was an ending. Guess this is a way to justify why Gwen is going to be hanging around in the 616 for the foreseeable future, though if you're going to write her out of her universe....that's certainly a way to go about it. lol
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't disagree but frankly that's like expecting Miles to go back to the Ultimate Universe at this point.
    The problem is Miles’s supporting characters and relationship dynamics came with him to 616. Who does Gwen have in 616? No one aside from Peter and Miles who habe their own **** to deal with. And Benji, who the narrative just fucking forgot about. Seriously, WE know she died but Gwen makes no attempt to search for her or wonders where she went? There’s also Koshei who was introduced as possibly being important before also being forgotten about.