Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Gwen Stacy: Ghost-Spider Appreciation 2020

I'm surprised nobody already made this - the 2020 appreciation thread for Gwendolyn Maxine Stacy, AKA Spider-Gwen, AKA Ghost-Spider.

As with last year, I assume a separate thread will be made for the non-powered versions of Gwen.

And the reason I'm making this thread now is because the preview for Ghost-Spider #6 is out.
    https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...host-spider-6/

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

First off it looks like the band went on a multiversal concert, though judging by their lack of instruments they were attending rather than playing. Still, it's nice to see them interacting in a friendly manner rather than MJ getting into another pissing match with Gwen over something stupid. And apparently unlike literally other version of MJ outside of Michelle Jones this MJ is not a fan of the webswing ride-along. Wonder if she feels the same about the upside down kiss?

Speaking of pissing matches, I absolutely love Gwen and her dad getting into a family spat right then and there during a tense hostage situation. So far Gwen having a police captain dad while being a vigilante hasn't been too focused on - mostly it just gives her some leeway when it comes to the cops looking the other way. Placing both her and her dad in the same crime scene allows for a bit more personalized drama and allows for some of Gwen's more mischievous/rebellious traits to come out.

One thing I found interesting is that this version of Gwen actually states that she's wanted to study criminology while her dad was the one who refused her. You'd think it'd be the other way around given their personalities but it seems like Gwen really does want to follow in her father's footsteps into being a proper law enforcement agent rather than being just a superhero/vigilante - and judging by her comments about 'learning it from watching you!' it might have been present even before she got her powers. Though this does make me wonder what her degree in 616 is going to be. Is she just gonna take criminology without telling her dad? Not like he can stop her since she's the one with the portal watch and she's running a multiverse scholarship.

Happy New Year to Earth-65 Gwen Stacy .
    Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    One thing I found interesting is that this version of Gwen actually states that she's wanted to study criminology while her dad was the one who refused her. You'd think it'd be the other way around given their personalities but it seems like Gwen really does want to follow in her father's footsteps into being a proper law enforcement agent rather than being just a superhero/vigilante - and judging by her comments about 'learning it from watching you!' it might have been present even before she got her powers. Though this does make me wonder what her degree in 616 is going to be. Is she just gonna take criminology without telling her dad? Not like he can stop her since she's the one with the portal watch and she's running a multiverse scholarship.
    This makes me think of Barbara Gordon.

Me too. It's been mentioned in Batgirl that Commissioner Gordon won't let Babs join the police. Gwen and Barbara actually have a lot in common.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to Earth-65 Gwen Stacy .

This makes me think of Barbara Gordon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Me too. It's been mentioned in Batgirl that Commissioner Gordon won't let Babs join the police. Gwen and Barbara actually have a lot in common.
    You're not the only ones who think that:

Looks like both of them get embarrassed by their dads too.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    You're not the only ones who think that:

Looks like both of them get embarrassed by their dads too.
    Nice art... though the second one has the wrong logos - Jessica's second one, and Stephanie Brown's logo, when they should've used the logos from Edge of Spider-Verse #2 (which, remember, said Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman, not Spider-Gwen) and New 52 or Rebirth Batgirl.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Nice art... though the second one has the wrong logos - Jessica's second one, and Stephanie Brown's logo, when they should've used the logos from Edge of Spider-Verse #2 (which, remember, said Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman, not Spider-Gwen) and New 52 or Rebirth Batgirl.
    Probably just artistic license. Same way Gwe has her hair spilling out of her hood, which admittedly looks cooler than her canon design.

I hope this year takes Spider-Gwen back to her roots (when she was actually interesting) in the 65 universe. *crosses fingers*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ghost-Spider #6 retcons Spider-Gwen #7.

Fantastic Member

Read Ghost Spider 6:

spoilers:

This was a complete filler issue, but oddly enough I'm not complaining. It felt more like a day in the life of Gwen rather than a part of any ongoing story arc and I think that's alright considering what this issue covers.

First of all: retconning the Storm siblings. Ghost Spider 7 clearly established them via a background magazine Silk read that they were child stars who starred alongside their family in the popular sitcom the Fantastic Four. Yeah...we're just forgetting that. Now they're actually older than Gwen (they appeared to be late teens to young adults when Gwen was 15-16) and their backstory got massively darkened. First they get trapped in Latveria for four freaking years by President Victor von Doom and it's established via newscast that their dad was a serial killer? The hell? Oh and of course they made Sue a snob and Johnny...actually Johnny's about what I expect so no complaints there.

The rest of the story is just Gwen spending time with her band (and MJ NOT being a massive bitch, refreshingly) and the rest dealing with Gwen saving some hostages from some rando gangsters; Gwen even states they're not Man-Wolf's guys. Again just love how Gwen handled the situation and showed off how much more experienced she is compared to before. Early volumes Gwen would've gotten those hostages shot. I also liked how her relationship with her dad was written and the police actually trusting her to handle the situation and then thanking her afterwards.

The ending is a bit confusing since it shows the now-returned Storm siblings going to the police in a very poor state. Setting up for the next arc? Cause this is weird timing considering we're not even done with this one. And what, is Gwen really gonna pick a fight with 65-President Doom? I don't think she's quite at that level yet. Even regular 616 Spidey rarely tangles with Doom, and when he does it's mostly as a group with the Avengers or F4 rather than by himself. Gwen has no allies to count on in a fight like this.

And going back to that 'four years earlier' timestamp, how old is Gwen supposed to be now again? According to the story Peter died during the senior prom meaning Gwen would've been 17-18 given the average age of students at this year. Given Gwen's dialogue about the band and Peter's standoffish behavior I assume Lizarding isn't far off meaning she'd have to be 21-22 for that timestamp to make sense. But she's still treated like a teenager in both certain story segments and the summaries.
    end of spoilers

On a non-spoilery note, was this artist (Bayushi, I think) the same one who drew some comics for Tracy Scops? The way the faces and lips are drawn really remind me of it...
    Last edited by eratas123; 01-08-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Fantastic Member

Another thing I found interesting. Gwen mentions in the previous Ghost Spider run that her mom died in her infancy (though she was shown holding a baby Gwen so it wasn't during childbirth). She even grimly narrates that she attended her first funeral before she knew her name:

But another piece of art shows Helen Stacy clearly holding onto what looks like a 6-7 year old Gwen:

Guess it's another Maguire minor retcon, but it does make me wonder whether Gwen's mom had any kind of effect on her personality. Can't imagine George would raise someone as rebellious as Gwen if he was on his own from Year 0.

Reading the comments had me thinking. Now I really enjoyed this issue for multiple reasons. I really liked the art, it's a solid single issue that can be enjoyed, we are seeing Gwen integrated with friends and family covering her life as Gwen and superhero. Lastly this issue seems to be setting up/beginning of the next arc.

spoilers:
    Now I was expecting a final traditional end to the last arc so how this started plus a new arc beginning shocked me. However that was because I was so use to comic always going in a certain story arc order. However for the last arc things happened and dangers are present and planning but for Gwen the investigation it seems went cold thus not ending but pausing (and allowing the villains to make plans and other setups and dangers for Gwen and her friends and family). In real life there are cold cases and sometimes the villain escapes. Wouldn't be shock that the Jackal will be back and took over the total operations and reveal himself and his grand scheme created at a bad time for Gwen and out of left field for us. Hit us when the guard is down or Gwen life seems like it's headed to a good area then 'snap' so to speak.

Now there are ways the writer can say Spider-Gwen #7 wasn't reckoned simply by saying that shop has old magaze and pop culture covers thus telling us that Earth-65 Sue and Johnny have been child stars and always been apart of the public eye celebrities. Their father going nuts ending one form of media thus they had to reboot and keep the high status with fame and money using new social media.
    Now I also like Gwen telling MJ a few things about the Multiverses such as other versions of themselves and people they know and how sometimes they or other might be superheroes or villains or dead. This is important for the reader to note as what we know of 616 characters do not equal to whom the 65 version could be.
    We assume 65 Doom is the same as 616 version. We can be VERY wrong. Earth-65 Doom might be powerless but a nice guy. Sue might be the mastermind bad-guy. Maybe met Present Doom, 'fell in love' ('might meet someone' and 'is for lovers'), then took the kingdom from him and now making plans to conquer New York. Gwen blinded by being a fangirl getting the rug and us pull under by what we assume.
    end of spoilers

Overall this was a great issue and has me wanting the next issue to see where this goes and further character and importantly world building that I desire.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope this year takes Spider-Gwen back to her roots (when she was actually interesting) in the 65 universe. *crosses fingers*
    Agreed. Spider-Gwen's not the same since Latour/Rodriguez left. I dropped the book after four issues of the new creative team.

I was wondering... can Sony use Gwen's Kingpin (meaning, Daredevil) for a ITSV sequel, or does Marvel have the animation rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I was wondering... can Sony use Gwen's Kingpin (meaning, Daredevil) for a ITSV sequel, or does Marvel have the animation rights?
    Marvel has the nominal animation rights to everything but Spider-Man in animated films.

Sony would probably have to ask permission to use Murderdock, if they end up using him.