Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Yeah, Gwen wouldn't be that famous. If she was, Ghost-Spider would've probably needed a new name on 616. 616 Gwen was probably just a footnote in history, one of many civilians killed by a supervillain.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Gwen wouldn't be that famous. If she was, Ghost-Spider would've probably needed a new name on 616. 616 Gwen was probably just a footnote in history, one of many civilians killed by a supervillain.
    no frontier mentioned mj i was wondering just how famous Mj truly is in the grand scale of things
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    didnt we discuss that last month and its very unclear how famous she is
    It's not necessarily consistent but she's between being b-list and a-list while having fairly solid name recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know, it would be a real missed opportunity if EmJay wind up on 616 and doesn't find out about how famous her 616 counterpart is .
    Also seeing a MJ who's actually nice lol.

Then again, I don't trust McGuire to properly write 616 MJ, she could end up looking interchangeable with 65 MJ with the bitchy attitude.

To be fair, she's one of the first to die to a super villain in this super-hero nonsense, so maybe a bit more than a footnote, specially considering her father died months before too...

Either way, reminds me of a dark humor idea I had, that if Gwen, any Gwen were to ever use a fake name, she could go by "Bridget", get it? 'Cause it has the word "bridge" .

It's not necessarily consistent but she's between being b-list and a-list while having fairly solid name recognition.
    I'd say at best she's at the top of B-list, A-list would be too much, since A-list means she'd get job offers for, everything, and have fans constantly be obnoxious to her at best, at worst getting stalkers, and what we see of her life, she gets rather shitty job offers, and while people recognize her, doesn't happen much, which can mean she's at the bottom of B-list too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Also seeing a MJ who's actually nice lol.

Then again, I don't trust McGuire to properly write 616 MJ, she could end up looking interchangeable with 65 MJ with the bitchy attitude.
    I can't disagree with that.
    To be fair, she's one of the first to die to a super villain in this super-hero nonsense, so maybe a bit more than a footnote, specially considering her father died months before too...

Either way, reminds me of a dark humor idea I had, that if Gwen, any Gwen were to ever use a fake name, she could go by "Bridget", get it? 'Cause it has the word "bridge" .
    I think Gwen was probably one of the more high profile Green Goblin kills.
    I'd say at best she's at the top of B-list, A-list would be too much, since A-list means she'd get job offers for, everything, and have fans constantly be obnoxious to her at best, at worst getting stalkers, and what we see of her life, she gets rather shitty job offers, and while people recognize her, doesn't happen much, which can mean she's at the bottom of B-list too lol.
    I think she's probably as recognizable as a major TV actress could be.

Honestly, I could see her just using Max. Her middle name is Maxine. In Life Story, she called herself Helen.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Honestly, I could see her just using Max. Her middle name is Maxine. In Life Story, she called herself Helen.
    After her mother, if I recall right.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I think Gwen was probably one of the more high profile Green Goblin kills.
    It seems that everyone knows about it, even people who aren't part of Spidey's group.

I think she's probably as recognizable as a major TV actress could be.
    Good enough to get jobs, but not good enough to get good roles .

Hey, stop trying to ruin my silly dark humor idea .

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    After her mother, if I recall right.
    Huh, never knew she got named... Wonder if she showed up at some point too, I bet Gwen looks exactly like her, 'cause that's a thing that happens a lot with dead parents for whatever reason...

Good enough to get jobs, but not good enough to get good roles .
    That's business for you...
    Huh, never knew she got named... Wonder if she showed up at some point too, I bet Gwen looks exactly like her, 'cause that's a thing that happens a lot with dead parents for whatever reason...
    I know in the case of Earth-65 Gwen her mom looked like 616 Gwen.

Fantastic Member

I know in the case of Earth-65 Gwen her mom looked like 616 Gwen.
    Yep.

I've even seen some fans theorize that the headband Gwen wore in the early issues was Helen's to explain why she had one despite it not fitting her personality like 616 Gwen. Not that it matters since it just outright disappeared at the beginning of Volume 2 for some reason. Though she did get it back by Ghost Spider in addition to her hair matching her 616 counterpart more.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Yep.

I've even seen some fans theorize that the headband Gwen wore in the early issues was Helen's to explain why she had one despite it not fitting her personality like 616 Gwen. Not that it matters since it just outright disappeared at the beginning of Volume 2 for some reason. Though she did get it back by Ghost Spider in addition to her hair matching her 616 counterpart more.
    Man, George looked completely unrecognizable in that picture to how he is now.

Fantastic Member

Man, George looked completely unrecognizable in that picture to how he is now.
    Really? Looks the same to sand hair color. He looks far more unrecognizable in the ghost spider flashback:

Helen, OTOH, looks almost identical to how Gwen is drawn in that series so it seems like Gwen didn’t get any genetics from her dad or somethhing. They also imply her mom died when Gwen was an infant even though that picutre above clearly shows Helen hugging Gwen when she appears 7-10 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    Really? Looks the same to sand hair color. He looks far more unrecognizable in the ghost spider flashback:

Helen, OTOH, looks almost identical to how Gwen is drawn in that series so it seems like Gwen didn’t get any genetics from her dad or somethhing. They also imply her mom died when Gwen was an infant even though that picutre above clearly shows Helen hugging Gwen when she appears 7-10 years old.
    That actually looks like a younger version of the 616 George Stacy.

Fantastic Member

That actually looks like a younger version of the 616 George Stacy.
    Yeah, which doesn't match as well considering Captain Stacy has a different design with the shorter hair and goatee.

Spectacular Member

Actually that's an interesting question -

We think of Gwen as the first real significant death in comics (other than Ferro Lad?) and one of the stories that's credited with starting the Bronze Age and the slight maturation of comics.

How often did supervillains kill any character in 60s Marvel? Why couldn't Gwen Stacy be famous in universe as the moment when villains started being more violent and killing civilians seemingly at random. That, theoretically, could make her a famous crime case (The same way Kitty Genovese or Leopold and Loeb are famous one off killings). Add in the fact that her father had also been killed by a random supervillain, maybe the Stacys are quite famous in 616 as victims of supervillain violence on a level that hadn't been seen up until that point.