Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Spider-Gwen is by far one of my favorite alternative universe Spiderman character. When I first saw her in the spiderverse comic, I was so into her character immediately. I’m glad they continued writing her.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scilover View Post
    Spider-Gwen is by far one of my favorite alternative universe Spiderman character. When I first saw her in the spiderverse comic, I was so into her character immediately. I’m glad they continued writing her.
    Same here, and I hope her character is able to survive and thrive despite all this.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I do wonder if this will lead to downplaying Lator's contributions to the character...which is basically 95% of her entire character and universe. Can't really ditch the costume.

Is this character already breaking into media, including a beloved film, a blessing or a curse?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Is this character already breaking into media, including a beloved film, a blessing or a curse?
    Suddenly I'm not sure what to think about them using Earth-65 stuff for Spider-Verse Gwen...

I would say expect a heavy rework of her character in the coming years.

Well, if she stays on 616 long term, she's going to need an entirely new supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I do wonder if this will lead to downplaying Lator's contributions to the character...which is basically 95% of her entire character and universe. Can't really ditch the costume.
    The costume isn't Latour anyway, that's all Rodriguez's work.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, if she stays on 616 long term, she's going to need an entirely new supporting cast.

The costume isn't Latour anyway, that's all Rodriguez's work.
    But Rodriguez himself also just got called out for some stuff he did. So both of them are implicated which puts Marvel in a tricky spot with her character. The entire basis of her backstory is rooted in the work they did, and if they move away from those elements (like moving her to 616 or her costume), I feel like some of the things that made her popular will start to disappear. I wonder if that's why she's not on the cover of ASM: Sins of Norman Osborn despite being on the solicit.

Yeah, and Silk's not named in the solicit. Did they switch them?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I doubt this had something to do with that. How much time in advance they have between making a cover, solicits and at least have initial drafts and scripts? These allegations came out yesterday, even a few days after the cover and solicits were released. The lack of Gwen on the cover and no mention of Silk in the solicits is probably some miscommunication. I distinctly remember that Mayday wasn't featured in the Web Web Warriors covers beacuse, check this, no one told the artist that she was part of the series.

I'm just not sure how much you can revamp the character at this point without losing what made her appealing and stand out. As it is she can barely hold an ongoing at the moment, so it's a very precarious situation.

Granted, this is Gwen Stacy, and she is the master of the revamp...

I'm just not sure how much you can revamp the character at this point without losing what made her appealing and stand out. As it is she can barely hold an ongoing at the moment, so it's a very precarious situation.

Granted, this is Gwen Stacy, and she is the master of the revamp...
    And that's the issue; most of what made her cool and unique came from these two. If they begin to divorce her from their interpretation, then she's a totally different character. And you're right: she couldn't hold an ongoing to begin with, so it's not like they're using her to her potential anyway. If I were Marvel, I would quietly put her in obscurity and have her show up sporadically. But for the most part, just say she was that other Gwen Stacy clone

EDIT: I know people will take issue with my stance on that, so let me clarify: I'm not advocating for getting rid of the character completely. I'm simply saying that Marvel could fold her into obscurity because she is new and she's in that precarious and dangerous spot where her existence as a character is tied to trauma and negative feelings. That's not necessarily good for Marvel's image. In this instance, it's a lose-lose situation.
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 06-24-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    And that's the issue; most of what made her cool and unique came from these two. If they begin to divorce her from their interpretation, then she's a totally different character. And you're right: she couldn't hold an ongoing to begin with, so it's not like they're using her to her potential anyway. If I were Marvel, I would quietly put her in obscurity and have her show up sporadically. But for the most part, just say she was that other Gwen Stacy clone

EDIT: I know people will take issue with my stance on that, so let me clarify: I'm not advocating for getting rid of the character completely. I'm simply saying that Marvel could fold her into obscurity because she is new and she's in that precarious and dangerous spot where her existence as a character is tied to trauma and negative feelings. That's not necessarily good for Marvel's image. In this instance, it's a lose-lose situation.
    I think now the ball is probably in Sony's court right now because they have potentially bigger plans involved with Spider-Gwen then Marvel does aside from that Amazing Friends pre-school cartoon.

I think now the ball is probably in Sony's court right now because they have potentially bigger plans involved with Spider-Gwen then Marvel does aside from that Amazing Friends pre-school cartoon.
    I highly doubt now that the Spider-Gwen/Spider-Woman/Silk movie is made. Seeing as they are fast tracking Spider-Verse 2, I think that movie was already far off and, with this news about Latour and Rodriguez and now McGuire's stories, I would be very surprised if Sony moved forward with the character.