Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Quentin Beck: Mysterio Appreciation 2020

I've been big on Mysterio for years, especially as the villain who made the hero decide to see a shrink twice, tricked him into believing his old aunt is dead, and has enough fun while he does that without being too annoying or overstaying his welcome.

He's one of the reasons I was compelled to watch Far From Home against my many reservations, and I loved the movie despite it being as head shaking as it is.

Did you know he wrote a book in the new Spider-Man game? A self improvement book Peter wanted to read for years.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Happy New Year to the Master of Illusion .

He was great in the movie.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Expect the Unexpected when you see Mysterio
    -- Cover Caption on ASM#13, written by Stan Lee.

It's easy to fool people, when they are already fooling themselves
    -- Spider-Man Far From Home (only great line in the MCU Spider-Man movies).

Mysterio remains the most underutilized of Spider-Man's villains, with huge potential for interest.

Currently, he's the co-protagonist of Amazing Mary Jane which is an incredible portrayal of Mysterio's character as what he is at heart...an artist.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

So years back when I was in... school... I found out he died... how and how did he come back?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    So years back when I was in... school... I found out he died... how and how did he come back?
    He had brain cancer or something and shot himself after losing a battle against Daredevil.
    I think the retcon was he managed to deceive everyone starting with the blind man into thinking he was dead when he was hiding.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

As a DD fan I'm not big on Guardian Devil but remember it for getting me back into reading comics (also Smith's Green Arrow). When it comes to Marvel my favourite costume design is Mysterio's, then maybe classic Green Goblin, then fur coated Sabretooth with headband. As a character I really love that M is connected to the movies. DC has Filmfreak and never does anything with him.

The new MJ title with Mysterio has my attention and I'll tradewait if you say its any good.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    He had brain cancer or something and shot himself after losing a battle against Daredevil.
    I think the retcon was he managed to deceive everyone starting with the blind man into thinking he was dead when he was hiding.
    And then it turned out he really did kill himself and ended up in hell for all the crap he'd done in his life, until he was given a second chance at life by Kindred, the demonic entity haunting the ASM book since Nick Spencer's first issue. The retcon now was that he dressed it up as more "Master of Illusion" trickery so people wouldn't think twice.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And then it turned out he really did kill himself and ended up in hell for all the crap he'd done in his life, until he was given a second chance at life by Kindred, the demonic entity haunting the ASM book since Nick Spencer's first issue. The retcon now was that he dressed it up as more "Master of Illusion" trickery so people wouldn't think twice.
    Nick Spencer is... the... Captain America Nazi guy... and... he only started writing Spider-Man after that? So that one is really recent?

BANNED

Nick Spencer is... the... Captain America Nazi guy... and... he only started writing Spider-Man after that? So that one is really recent?
    Nick Spencer wrote Superior Foes of Spider-Man, a run on Ant-Man, in addition to acclaimed creator owned work such as Morning Glories.

Technically, Mysterio coming back from the dead happened a decade earlier in Peter David's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man during the original Civil War period in 2006-07. That was when it was first established that he'd come back from hell, and it was his reappearance/revamp in Brand New Day that established his return from hell was just more "Master of Illusion" fakery on his end. Then came Nick Spencer's ASM and the revelation in the first issue that Mysterio really did die and go to hell until he was sprung out by Kindred, who was on the verge of possibly sending him back for failing to make good on the arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Nick Spencer wrote Superior Foes of Spider-Man, a run on Ant-Man, in addition to acclaimed creator owned work such as Morning Glories.
    Uh-huh. He also did Ultimate X-Men, Secret Avengers, Avengers World, and Iron Man 2.0 starring Rhodey/War Machine. Maybe not the best work he did, but he was around a good while at Marvel before HYDRA-Cap was even a twinkle in his eye.

BANNED

Uh-huh. He also did Ultimate X-Men, Secret Avengers, Avengers World, and Iron Man 2.0 starring Rhodey/War Machine. Maybe not the best work he did, but he was around a good while at Marvel before HYDRA-Cap was even a twinkle in his eye.
    Spencer and Hydra-Cap is an example of that band getting a hit of one of their worst records in a style totally different from their regular and better sounds.

I mean Secret Empire isn't representative of Spencer at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Spencer and Hydra-Cap is an example of that band getting a hit of one of their worst records in a style totally different from their regular and better sounds.

I mean Secret Empire isn't representative of Spencer at all.
    Hmm, that's an interesting way to describe it.

Astonishing Member

Mysterio is a great villain.
    I re-read recently Amazing Spider-Man#198 and 199 and that is one of my favorites stories featuring Mysterio.
    The story is by Marv Wolfman and Sal Buscema painted great art for it,i remember being way impressed with Sal Buscema art in the Spectacular Spider-Man comic book along J.M.DeMatteis some years later but that Mysterio story is yet another good example why Sal Buscema is such a great artist.

This is one time when retconning a retcon to make it on the same wavelength as the original story is not a pleasant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Mysterio is a great villain.
    I re-read recently Amazing Spider-Man#198 and 199 and that is one of my favorites stories featuring Mysterio.
    The story is by Marv Wolfman and Sal Buscema painted great art for it,i remember being way impressed with Sal Buscema art in the Spectacular Spider-Man comic book along J.M.DeMatteis some years later but that Mysterio story is yet another good example why Sal Buscema is such a great artist.
    Hooray for this post.
    I thought that story was drawn entirely by Keith Pollard.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE