Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Since we were at the topic of wincing at stuff.
    Hmm, that really did come off a bit harsh. Sorry about that. I'm election oversaturated.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Quartz Diamond View Post
    I just finished reading all four volumes of Fraction's Hawkeye and I love it so much. Fraction's Clint has a self-destructive streak and is such a high-functioning human disaster but he cares deeply about the little people. I love his relationship with Kate Bishop; Clint never talked down to her and sees her as an equal and Kate is very loyal towards Clint and has nerves of steel.

I'm going to read West Coast Avengers, Solo Avengers, Thunderbolts and Secret Avengers next. Maybe throw in Occupy Avengers and Hawkeye: Freefall as well.
    To be young again. I remember being old enough to buy WCA, Solo, and Thunderbolts off the stands.

What would you guys say Clint's defining personality features are? It seems his overall perception has changed a little bit since Fraction's run. I appreciate the "every man" angle at times, but not really into the incompetence (which is a big gripe I have with Deadpool writing as well). I forget the issue, but one of my favorite Clint panels will always be when he explains to Spider-Man that he "CAN'T" miss, not because he's bragging, but because his life as a superhero with the Avengers basically depends on him never missing a shot. He explains why he's always training and I really related to that and latched on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Hmm, that really did come off a bit harsh. Sorry about that. I'm election oversaturated.
    Oh well I can get that much. I don't envy y'all across the pond.
    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    What would you guys say Clint's defining personality features are? It seems his overall perception has changed a little bit since Fraction's run. I appreciate the "every man" angle at times, but not really into the incompetence (which is a big gripe I have with Deadpool writing as well). I forget the issue, but one of my favorite Clint panels will always be when he explains to Spider-Man that he "CAN'T" miss, not because he's bragging, but because his life as a superhero with the Avengers basically depends on him never missing a shot. He explains why he's always training and I really related to that and latched on to it.
    Bravery. There are a lot of traits but this has been present in every "version" of Clint we've seen in 616 over the years this one is the very core of everything he stands for even moreso than for most other Heroes.
    Without any powers he will always dive into danger head first, the reasons for which vary.
    He's just as likely to do that to prove something (whether to himself or others, mostly cap) as he is to take a bullet for those who can't afford to take one so to speak.

At least when it comes to superheroics. On a human to human level he does have a tendency to run from or ignore problems longer than he should.

Edit: And yes I remember that issue with Spidey.
    It was an all-time great moment imo even though I didn't like the build up much where Clint was just an all around ass to children and Peter for absolutely no reason.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 10-13-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

This is a great question. For me, Clint's thing is about living life to the fullest. Which means lots of adventures and experiences, picking up all sorts of skills wherever he can, filling various positions on a team as needed, following his instincts rather than always having a plan, sometimes hanging out with a time-traveling cowboy (because why not?), being at home in a lot of very different situations, not wanting to be cooped up, and so on. This isn't his only defining feature, since he's also known for other traits, like loyalty to his friends, falling in love hard, occasionally being prickly or insensitive, having extreme emotions in general, and his strict no-killing rule (and a mild aversion to SHIELD because of that). But I think it's the main thing than any Hawkeye writer should keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Bravery. There are a lot of traits but this has been present in every "version" of Clint we've seen in 616 over the years this one is the very core of everything he stands for even moreso than for most other Heroes.
    Without any powers he will always dive into danger head first, the reasons for which vary.
    He's just as likely to do that to prove something (whether to himself or others, mostly cap) as he is to take a bullet for those who can't afford to take one so to speak.

At least when it comes to superheroics. On a human to human level he does have a tendency to run from or ignore problems longer than he should.

And yes I remember that issue with Spidey.
    It was an all-time great moment imo even though I didn't like the build up much where Clint was just an all around ass to children and Peter for absolutely no reason.
    It was always a page that really resonated with me, because I do a lot of physical training and sometimes get the comments, "you train too much," "you're always working out," "why don't you rest," and the way Clint explained his mentality to Peter really hit home.

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    This is a great question. For me, Clint's thing is about living life to the fullest. Which means lots of adventures and experiences, picking up all sorts of skills wherever he can, filling various positions on a team as needed, following his instincts rather than always having a plan, sometimes hanging out with a time-traveling cowboy (because why not?), being at home in a lot of very different situations, not wanting to be cooped up, and so on. This isn't his only defining feature, since he's also known for other traits, like loyalty to his friends, falling in love hard, occasionally being prickly or insensitive, having extreme emotions in general, and his strict no-killing rule (and a mild aversion to SHIELD because of that). But I think it's the main thing than any Hawkeye writer should keep in mind.
    I always view Clint as the ultimate glue guy. Someone you always want around. Often times under appreciated while he's there, or taking flack from people for whatever reason, but when he's missing, you realize how important he is to the team. He's the one that sticks up for the little guy but isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. He lives on both levels. Street level on his own, but then "big time" with the Avengers. And having both of those experiences really makes him valuable. He can step up and lead when he needs to BECAUSE of that, and clearly Cap recognized that.

It was always a page that really resonated with me, because I do a lot of physical training and sometimes get the comments, "you train too much," "you're always working out," "why don't you rest," and the way Clint explained his mentality to Peter really hit home.

I always view Clint as the ultimate glue guy. Someone you always want around. Often times under appreciated while he's there, or taking flack from people for whatever reason, but when he's missing, you realize how important he is to the team. He's the one that sticks up for the little guy but isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. He lives on both levels. Street level on his own, but then "big time" with the Avengers. And having both of those experiences really makes him valuable. He can step up and lead when he needs to BECAUSE of that, and clearly Cap recognized that.
    I love all of this! So much of it is what makes Clint my favourite character. The fact that he has no enhancements but an extraordinary skill set that makes him an asset to even the most super powered team is so good. He deserves that spot, he works for it, and he's the heart of the team. I love that he can be brash and buck authority, but at the same time step up and be a leader in his own right, and even when he gets kicked down he will get back up. There's just so many great sides and aspects to his character.

What would you guys say Clint's defining personality features are?
    The Showman. There are many qualities about Clint's personality that I like, but this really stands out for me...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    The Showman. There are many qualities about Clint's personality that I like, but this really stands out for me...

I feel like we don't see this trait with Clint much any more, if only because he needs to be this down-to-earth hot mess because Fraction wrote him that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like we don't see this trait with Clint much any more, if only because he needs to be this down-to-earth hot mess because Fraction wrote him that way.
    I like to think he doesn't outwardly express being a showman any more... actively trying to make himself the star of the show or the center of attention... But would love for people to recognize his work and give him praise. Rather than bashing him or talking about him like he's a fool.

I like to think he doesn't outwardly express being a showman any more... actively trying to make himself the star of the show or the center of attention... But would love for people to recognize his work and give him praise. Rather than bashing him or talking about him like he's a fool.
    He doesn't really help his case though...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He doesn't really help his case though...
    Trying "too much"

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Yeah that would be a great term to describe him in the past but it isn't all that accurate anymore as others have stated.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

I do miss his showman side a lot. Maybe it goes with the costume lol

I remember that scene in EMH where he's about to make an impossible shot and all the Avengers keep making bets on whether he can pull it off .