Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Clint Barton: Hawkeye Appreciation 2020

He is the worlds Greatest Marksmen, he is a guy with one of the most Badass Roster of Ex Girlfriends, he is Clint Barton, he is...
    Hawkeye

Pardon If there is already a thread and I just couldn't find it.

Either way, Stuff that's been happening recently:

- Hawkeye appeared in Web of Black Widow #4 and #5 the latter of which completely changed my opinion on the book (in a good way) and explains why Clint acted so OOC in the previous issue.
    - And of course there is Hawkeye Freefall #1 which I enjoyed a lot as well. It's got all the fun parts right without making our avenging archer look like a goober.
    There is one scene were he get's beat up real bad but the fact that the same goes for Sam and Bucky makes it look like much less of a big deal in my book and I'm very very curious were things go from here with Ronin.
    The art might not be everyone's cup of tea and I get that but I personally like it just fine.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Finally, a new thread! (Thank you! I really needed it).

I read Freefall #1 too. It was pretty good. If it keeps that quality of both writing and art, and sells well enough, it may be a long run for Clint again. With some luck. It was a really, really fun issue with its needed share of seriousness as well.

I sort of felt that that last scene was what Clint wanted to happen somehow (with all his narration boxes). But it could be just that they really weren't coordinated at all.

Art was very, very good, imho. A really good fit for the mood of the book.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-03-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Adding bits

Happy New Year to my favorite purple archer .

Astonishing Member

I really enjoyed the first issue of FREEFALL too. I would just really like to see Mockingbird show up in the next issue to tell Bucky and Sam off for being idiots for suspecting Clint, of all people, of being Ronin and murdering people. Clint "Avengers don't kill -- I am so serious about it I am going to wreck my marriage over it" Barton? Gimme a break. I'm sure Bobbi would have some choice words for the two of them for having such a stupid suspicion based on nothing more than the choice of costume. lol

I was pleasantly surprised to see Clint with a new romance in his life! About time that Clint saw some action again. If memory serves, the last time he got laid that we know about was that implied threesome with Bobbi and Hunter in the final issue of MOCKINGBIRD. No, wait...I forgot him and Tasha hooking up again in SECRET EMPIRE. Still, that was a while ago now and was more of a wartime stress release/distraction than a proper romance.

I... wouldn't give that Mockingbird run much of my thought. It's been kind of ignored afterwards as far as I've seen; and that issue you're remembering (or its ending page) was a bit too funny, as if it were some kind of dream, or surreal, or imaginary scene. The whole run felt a bit like that by moments. As if Bobbi were hallucinating certain bits here and there. He and Natasha got to, er, release tension, during Secret Empire, that one was pretty clear.

It's passed a lot of time since the original WCA. Clint has lived through a lot (a lot of hands have written him differently) since then, and I think he has grown to be a bit more flexible about that no kill rule. He still is very against killing, very, very much against it. But he has been kind of tolerant about it, I think, since Secret Avengers (I'm going to pretend that Bendis' Avengers happened differently, because he was definitely happy killing there, as far as I recall). Or maybe he has been more understanding and flexible since Reunion, I'm not sure.

Anyways. That famous scene in WCA. In my head, it had more to do with his trust issues and his anxiety, than with Bobbi letting that guy die. Even if he really was mad about the fact that the phantom guy was dead. Even if it wasn't the first time he shouted something like that, and wouldn't be the last (I vaguely remember him saying something like that when he took over the TBolts. And then he almost kills Karla, iirc).

But then he happens to befriend former killers and current killers fine everywhere.

Oh, Clint.

But, yeah, pretty silly of them for thinking that Clint was Ronin. I don't think Buck was that convinced, though.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-04-2020 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Lots of things

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I... wouldn't give that Mockingbird run much of my thought. It's been kind of ignored afterwards as far as I've seen; and that issue you're remembering (or its ending page) was a bit too funny, as if it were some kind of dream, or surreal, or imaginary scene. The whole run felt a bit like that by moments. As if Bobbi were hallucinating certain bits here and there. He and Natasha got to, er, release tension, during Secret Empire, that one was pretty clear.

It's passed a lot of time since the original WCA. Clint has lived through a lot (a lot of hands have written him differently) since then, and I think he has grown to be a bit more flexible about that no kill rule. He still is very against killing, very, very much against it. But he has been kind of tolerant about it, I think, since Secret Avengers (I'm going to pretend that Bendis' Avengers happened differently, because he was definitely happy killing there, as far as I recall). Or maybe he has been more understanding and flexible since Reunion, I'm not sure.

Anyways. That famous scene in WCA. In my head, it had more to do with his trust issues and his anxiety, than with Bobbi letting that guy die. Even if he really was mad about the fact that the phantom guy was dead. Even if it wasn't the first time he shouted something like that, and wouldn't be the last (I vaguely remember him saying something like that when he took over the TBolts. And then he almost kills Karla, iirc).

But then he happens to befriend former killers and current killers fine everywhere.

Oh, Clint.

But, yeah, pretty silly of them for thinking that Clint was Ronin. I don't think Buck was that convinced, though.
    Maybe they still remember him putting an arrow through Bruce Banner's eye.

Finally, a new thread! (Thank you! I really needed it).

I read Freefall #1 too. It was pretty good. If it keeps that quality of both writing and art, and sells well enough, it may be a long run for Clint again. With some luck. It was a really, really fun issue with its needed share of seriousness as well.

I sort of felt that that last scene was what Clint wanted to happen somehow (with all his narration boxes). But it could be just that they really weren't coordinated at all.

Art was very, very good, imho. A really good fit for the mood of the book.
    You are welcome

I'm not sure I buy into Clint wanting Ronin to get away.
    From the descriptions of the coming issues I could see Clint letting him(?) get away at some point but at this time he has no reason to do so unless he has a suspicion as to who Ronin actually turns out to be that made him prevent Buckies shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I really enjoyed the first issue of FREEFALL too. I would just really like to see Mockingbird show up in the next issue to tell Bucky and Sam off for being idiots for suspecting Clint, of all people, of being Ronin and murdering people. Clint "Avengers don't kill -- I am so serious about it I am going to wreck my marriage over it" Barton? Gimme a break. I'm sure Bobbi would have some choice words for the two of them for having such a stupid suspicion based on nothing more than the choice of costume. lol

I was pleasantly surprised to see Clint with a new romance in his life! About time that Clint saw some action again. If memory serves, the last time he got laid that we know about was that implied threesome with Bobbi and Hunter in the final issue of MOCKINGBIRD. No, wait...I forgot him and Tasha hooking up again in SECRET EMPIRE. Still, that was a while ago now and was more of a wartime stress release/distraction than a proper romance.
    Was Bobbi teased for an appearance? Because if not I could see Natasha being the one who gets to laugh at them considering the two of them had disagreements over their respective ways in the past.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe they still remember him putting an arrow through Bruce Banner's eye.
    Sam sure felt like he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    You are welcome

I'm not sure I buy into Clint wanting Ronin to get away.
    From the descriptions of the coming issues I could see Clint letting him(?) get away at some point but at this time he has no reason to do so unless he has a suspicion as to who Ronin actually turns out to be that made him prevent Buckies shot.
    Maybe he wants to see if he can tell who's behind the mask. Or he wants to see what they can do. Maybe Clint is not a planner for thew whole picture (for Rosenberg, at least), but I think he's a strategist in the field itself here, testing the waters, assessing and then acting (at least). And he was the "provoke to see what happens, play bait and pretend" in ToS under this same writer.

Trying to prevent Bucky's shot could be the case, too.
    It's weird that Clint shot his arrows to Ronin, knowing well how the suit could shield them. I don't know.

Maybe he was just a hothead because he felt frustrated and offended, and he wanted to end it all, and that was the start of a series of uncoordinated attacks between the three of them. And this could be the case, too, because apparently this story is about Clint's bad choices and the consequences of those.

In any case, it all makes the story interesting and makes me want to see what's next :3.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-04-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Freefall is obviously gorgeous but the script was actually very good, too. Every scene was just aces.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Freefall is obviously gorgeous but the script was actually very good, too. Every scene was just aces.
    It was top notch, just thoroughly enjoyable.

Having liked Rosenberg's Tales of Suspense quite a bit, I expected to like this too but I would say that it was even better than I was hoping for.

Sam sure felt like he does.

Maybe he wants to see if he can tell who's behind the mask. Or he wants to see what they can do. Maybe Clint is not a planner for thew whole picture (for Rosenberg, at least), but I think he's a strategist in the field itself here, testing the waters, assessing and then acting (at least). And he was the "provoke to see what happens, play bait and pretend" in ToS under this same writer.

Trying to prevent Bucky's shot could be the case, too.
    It's weird that Clint shot his arrows to Ronin, knowing well how the suit could shield them. I don't know.

Maybe he was just a hothead because he felt frustrated and offended, and he wanted to end it all, and that was the start of a series of uncoordinated attacks between the three of them. And this could be the case, too, because apparently this story is about Clint's bad choices and the consequences of those.

In any case, it all makes the story interesting and makes me want to see what's next :3.
    Lotsa fair points there! There is a lot you can read into this and if the aforementioned black widow book has taught me anything than that I take things at face value too often.

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It was. The humor and action were all there.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

While I did really enjoy the majority of #1, I had trouble believing that Bucky and Falcon would think Hawkeye was Ronin. It just doesn't seem in character for him, and would be more Bucky's style if anything. I understand them wanting to confirm it wasn't him... but a simple "no" from Hawkeye should have sufficed.

He does have a history of going AWOL. I don't think the boys pressed him too hard aside from ruining his breakfast. That was savage.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The art and dialogue were aces. I loved the scene with Clint and the Hood in the limo.

Rosenberg has all but confirmed that Mockingbird won't show up, which is a shame, because the themes hinted at later on in the plot (Ronin's methods are too violent! Oh, but wait, maybe they're actually effective? Should Clint stop him or join him?) are exactly the kind of thing she would have good insight into. The two of them dealt with a lot of similar grey scenarios back in Solo Avengers/Avengers Spotlight, and they made a great team while talking through the problem and then tackling the threats.

I have to believe that Sam and Bucky were just giving Clint a hard time for kicks, and that neither believed it was actually Clint. Even with Alexei being "out of the country," it's more believable that he flew in just to beat up some ex-SHIELD guys, then flew out again right away, than that Clint would do this.

Anyone want to speculate on Ronin's identity? Apparently, it's someone Clint knows but doesn't like, and it's not someone that people have guessed so far. I'm guessing it's not someone with powers, or they would have used the powers. Probably not Crossfire, since Bobbi won't be getting involved. Not likely to be Barney, either. I'm sure people have already guessed Zemo, and he's too busy with his grand-scale plans in Captain America, anyway. Is Punisher too obvious? How about Coulson--is he still a bad guy?