Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    His costume was updated in anticipation of the Avengers movie release in 2012, so I think the MCU was a bigger influence than Ultimate Hawkeye (although, like Matternativ said, the MCU Barton was inspired by Ultimate Barton, so there is a link). Interestingly, the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes interpretation of Hawkeye was also partially inspired by the Ultimate Universe, but he still wore his classic 616 costume there, even as a SHIELD agent.
    Still the best media adaption of Clint, bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Conclusion: Clint needs a new character as his nemesis.
    that new ronin was pretty good, they should bring him back
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    that new ronin was pretty good, they should bring him back
    Hahahahah maybe it's because it's past 2am and I should sleep already but this made me laugh louder than it should have.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Spectacular Member Ruby Quartz Diamond's Avatar

Kinda. MCU Clint was mostly based on Ultimate Hawkeye except much nicer but even Ultimate Hawkeye wore a masked outfit at times.
    I'm glad for the change then. The mask was kinda outdated and would not fit in with modern times.

I really love the Hawkeye outfit in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

I love his character in that game too. His quips and quotes make him sound like some smart aleck lol. I also quickly added him to my main team once I recruited him

Oh Bendis loved Clint in the sense that he'll always be a factor in his stories but he definitely enjoyed putting him through the wringer.
    Sometimes it works well: Ronin
    Sometimes it really doesn't: Civil War 2.

I feel like you'd enjoy his take on the heroic age/avengers assemble Hawkeye more so than anything between Disassembled and Dark Reign.
    By his Ronin era by Bendis, you mean New Avengers #26 to 64, right? I saw the roster for NA and I immediately thought how is Clint going to have any significant focus here.

I was misled by his supposed importance in CW2. I skimmed through the book and it only showed him killing Bruce and then surrendering himself before he got acquitted of his charges altogether. I heard that the repercussions were followed up by Occupy Avengers.

By Avengers Disassembled, you mean Avengeres (1998) #500 to 503? And by Dark Reign, you mean Dark Reign: Hawkeye with 5 issues.

I saw some image from that Dark Reign era and it had him being naked and shackled to a chair while Venom was caressing him and licking him from behind? And for some odd reason, Clint looked like some top notch male model? That was funny to see tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    His costume was updated in anticipation of the Avengers movie release in 2012, so I think the MCU was a bigger influence than Ultimate Hawkeye (although, like Matternativ said, the MCU Barton was inspired by Ultimate Barton, so there is a link). Interestingly, the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes interpretation of Hawkeye was also partially inspired by the Ultimate Universe, but he still wore his classic 616 costume there, even as a SHIELD agent.

Yes! I love when creators write gushing letters about how much they love the characters they write. Jim McCann also has one if you've gotten ahold of the Hawkeye: Avenging Archer collection yet.

Agreeing with Matt again that Bendis is hit or miss (especially on team books), and that the Ronin era was done well while Civil War II...the less said, the better. His New Avengers run feels more street level, which is Bendis's forte. It's an important time in Clint's history as a character (even though he doesn't join the team until issue 20-something), even though there are some ways that he acts that are inconsistent with his general characterization, but I think the extreme circumstances justify it.
    I had a lot of people recommending me EMH but I gravitate towards Avengers Assemble cartoon because Clint looked hotter there (without the mask) and he's voiced by one of my personal fav voice actors, Troy Baker haha. But maybe one day, I'll watch EMH.

I did borrow the Avenging Archer TPD actually! I got greedy and borrowed Avengers Hawkeye, Avenging Archer, West Coast Avengers, Hawkeye and the Thunderbolts books from my local library. Not to mention, I also subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and found myself reading Tales of Suspense, Hawkeye (2016) etc. Too many things to read omg lol

Glad to know Bendis favours Clint as a character as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby Quartz Diamond View Post
    I'm glad for the change then. The mask was kinda outdated and would not fit in with modern times.

I really love the Hawkeye outfit in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

I love his character in that game too. His quips and quotes make him sound like some smart aleck lol. I also quickly added him to my main team once I recruited him

Well you certainly bring a unique perspective to this thread because everyone here is team mask, especially Frontier.
    It's a topic that comes up every couple of pages, especially when there is nothing else to talk about.

But hey you do you.

By the by I don't think that link is working. Tried it on two browsers now.

By his Ronin era by Bendis, you mean New Avengers #26 to 64, right? I saw the roster for NA and I immediately thought how is Clint going to have any significant focus here.
    Oh believe me, he is not hanging around as a background extra but very much at the forefront of everything.

I was misled by his supposed importance in CW2. I skimmed through the book and it only showed him killing Bruce and then surrendering himself before he got acquitted of his charges altogether. I heard that the repercussions were followed up by Occupy Avengers.
    While Occupy Avengers followed CW2 it really didn't show much in the way of repercussions.
    His appearances in The Accused, Totally Awesome Hulk and Uncanny Avengers all did more in single issues than Occupy did in its entire run. Not that it was a long one.

By Avengers Disassembled, you mean Avengeres (1998) #500 to 503? And by Dark Reign, you mean Dark Reign: Hawkeye with 5 issues.
    No and no again.
    By Avengers Disassembled I mean the event called Avengers Disassembled and it happened in like 2003 or something.
    And Dark Reign spans a number of books between Secret Invasion and Siege and was followed up by the Heroic Age.
    Dark Reign Hawkeye is actually not centered around Clint at all (nor Kate for that matter) since he was Ronin back then.

I saw some image from that Dark Reign era and it had him being naked and shackled to a chair while Venom was caressing him and licking him from behind? And for some odd reason, Clint looked like some top notch male model? That was funny to see tbh.
    Yes and Mockingbird in her underwear too a couple pages earlier. It was an annual I believe which is where they usually get the more stunning artworks in that you don't necessarily see in the monthly issues. In this case stunning but also hella thirsty.

I had a lot of people recommending me EMH but I gravitate towards Avengers Assemble cartoon because Clint looked hotter there (without the mask) and he's voiced by one of my personal fav voice actors, Troy Baker haha. But maybe one day, I'll watch EMH.
    I watched Avengers Assembled first myself because it was less "cartoony" and stylized and I enjoyed it reasonably well but once I got over myself and watched EMH it was really hard to return to Assembled.
    I still haven't watched seasons 4 and 5 outside of some single episodes.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 11-11-2020 at 06:17 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

My Twitter

I feel like the only person who loved the first season of EMH more than anything, but also really loved Avengers Assemble. I think it's because I thought EMH took a serious downturn in quality in season 2 so I was okay with it ending and starting something new. EMH is my favourite version of Clint, but I loved him in Avengers Assemble as well. I think both shows did a great job of showing the relationships between the characters. There were so many great friendships in EMH, and in AA I really believed the team were family and truly loved each other. When the team split up I felt it, unlike in the MCU where most of them never felt like more than colleagues to me.

AA definitely had a more juvenile humour (particularly in the first part of the first season) but it was also just a really fun show IMO. I didn't actually watch the final season, though, as I was interested in an Avengers show, not a Black Panther focused show, so I only watched the episodes that featured Clint and/or Natasha. Clint was kind of a jerk in that season for some reason, and I really didn't like the change in animation.

I did borrow the Avenging Archer TPD actually! I got greedy and borrowed Avengers Hawkeye, Avenging Archer, West Coast Avengers, Hawkeye and the Thunderbolts books from my local library. Not to mention, I also subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and found myself reading Tales of Suspense, Hawkeye (2016) etc. Too many things to read omg lol

Glad to know Bendis favours Clint as a character as well.
    EMH Clint looked more charming and attractive to me without the mask on, but that's just my take.

I usually love Troy Baker, and on-paper he should've been a great Hawkeye, but all I can remember about his take is him whining and complaining all the time. Just comparing him to Chris Cox, whose voice basically is Clint as far as I'm concerned, and his performance just comes off really lacking in terms of capturing the character. But I could say that about any of the Assemble Avengers compared to how they were depicted in EMH bar maybe Black Panther.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
    I feel like the only person who loved the first season of EMH more than anything, but also really loved Avengers Assemble. I think it's because I thought EMH took a serious downturn in quality in season 2 so I was okay with it ending and starting something new. EMH is my favourite version of Clint, but I loved him in Avengers Assemble as well. I think both shows did a great job of showing the relationships between the characters. There were so many great friendships in EMH, and in AA I really believed the team were family and truly loved each other. When the team split up I felt it, unlike in the MCU where most of them never felt like more than colleagues to me.
    The quality only really took a downturn in the second half of season 2 (courtesy of, ironically, the same people who went on to work on Avengers Assemble) although I think those episodes (especially the ones penned by Chris Yost) hold up better than a lot of the earlier Assemble episodes.
    AA definitely had a more juvenile humour (particularly in the first part of the first season) but it was also just a really fun show IMO. I didn't actually watch the final season, though, as I was interested in an Avengers show, not a Black Panther focused show, so I only watched the episodes that featured Clint and/or Natasha. Clint was kind of a jerk in that season for some reason, and I really didn't like the change in animation.
    Panther's Quest Clint was the absolute worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
    I think both shows did a great job of showing the relationships between the characters. There were so many great friendships in EMH, and in AA I really believed the team were family and truly loved each other. When the team split up I felt it, unlike in the MCU where most of them never felt like more than colleagues to me.
    Well we differ there. I didn't think Assemble did a good job there at all. In fact I'd go as far as to say that was one of it's main weaknesses in my eyes. There was the odd episode inbetween where I thought it had some good interaction but usually it wasn't picked up on again.
    In the MCU they maybe never got them "team" feeling right but I can think of a lot of scenes, especially in Winter Soldier and Endgame, that gave me some serious bromance/friendship vibes between two to three characters. Something I have been missing in the last few Avengers Comics I checked out (which was over a year ago tbf).
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Panther's Quest Clint was the absolute worst.
    I actually ....kinda liked it? I mean I haven't seen the entire show but from the episodes I've seen: Being unable to see through a pretty woman, holding his supposed teammates to their loyalty, being brash and rebellious all these flaws are very much rooted in those of Comics Clint. Admittedly they were turned up to 120% but that's just the role they needed him to play for the story to work.
    I get not liking it but I can't help but kind of admire it, especially that they managed to get a narrative driven season in after 4 seasons of mostly ust adventure of the week style stuff.
    Again I haven't seen the whole thing but as far as writing goes it was on a whole nother level than before.

My Twitter

]I actually ....kinda liked it? I mean I haven't seen the entire show but from the episodes I've seen: Being unable to see through a pretty woman, holding his supposed teammates to their loyalty, being brash and rebellious all these flaws are very much rooted in those of Comics Clint. Admittedly they were turned up to 120% but that's just the role they needed him to play for the story to work.
    I get not liking it but I can't help but kind of admire it, especially that they managed to get a narrative driven season in after 4 seasons of mostly ust adventure of the week style stuff.
    Again I haven't seen the whole thing but as far as writing goes it was on a whole nother level than before.
    I feel like those traits were present with EMH Clint but they didn't get in the way of his likeability as a character and effectiveness as a hero, whereas in Panther's Quest it just made him come off as dumb and obtuse.

It was nice to have a Marvel cartoon with ambition again even if there were other elements of the show I didn't really jive with (particularly it's handling of Clint).

Funnily enough, they gave him the coat for his redesign in that show .

Spectacular Member Ruby Quartz Diamond's Avatar

Welp. I guess I'm the only one here who genuinely enjoyed Avengers Assemble!Clint haha. I really love that they made him the joker of the team and obnoxious yet very competent and smart. He hides his intelligence by acting lazy and like a clown. I thought that's quite in line with his comic counterpart in the sense that he's easily underestimated by his opponents which gives him an advantage over them. And I am grateful that Clint is given so many things too, even his own focused episodes (MCU Clint barely had any screentime and focus sadly) and he played a very pivotal role in Season 5 in stopping Whitney. His involvement made sense too since Whitney would be least threatened by the 'ordinary' guy with no superpowers and he did protect her in the Halloween episode. Also, his sharp-shooting skills were key to destroying the ship. Like Matt had said, it was in line with his comic counterpart where he was at first taken by Black Widow's beauty that he performed her bidding despite their goals and ideals not being aligned but later he snapped out of it himself and joined the good guys to reform himself and make amends.

I also started reading Hawkeye: Freefall and Thunderbolts (2017), and I'm enjoying it so far. I like that in the former, Bucky and Sam are involved in the storyline as well. It was funny when Clint called them 'big bird cosplayer and the world's greasiest cyborg'. It was also funny he and Linda got into bed and he was still talking about the freed criminal. Linda looked kinda scary in some panels though. Also, Rosenberg nailed Clint's character so well too.

Well you certainly bring a unique perspective to this thread because everyone here is team mask, especially Frontier.
    It's a topic that comes up every couple of pages, especially when there is nothing else to talk about.

But hey you do you.

By the by I don't think that link is working. Tried it on two browsers now.
    Oops. Here is the proper link:
    hawkeye-marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-uhdpaper.com-8K-21.jpg

Kinda hot, right?

Oh believe me, he is not hanging around as a background extra but very much at the forefront of everything.

While Occupy Avengers followed CW2 it really didn't show much in the way of repercussions.
    His appearances in The Accused, Totally Awesome Hulk and Uncanny Avengers all did more in single issues than Occupy did in its entire run. Not that it was a long one.

No and no again.
    By Avengers Disassembled I mean the event called Avengers Disassembled and it happened in like 2003 or something.
    And Dark Reign spans a number of books between Secret Invasion and Siege and was followed up by the Heroic Age.
    Dark Reign Hawkeye is actually not centered around Clint at all (nor Kate for that matter) since he was Ronin back then.
    Thanks! Looks like I have a lot of material to read if I want to be a full-fledged Clint Barton fan

Yes and Mockingbird in her underwear too a couple pages earlier. It was an annual I believe which is where they usually get the more stunning artworks in that you don't necessarily see in the monthly issues. In this case stunning but also hella thirsty.
    The art reminded me of Greg Land's tbh. It would be shocking to find out that my dear Hawkeye received the Greg Land treatment

EMH Clint looked more charming and attractive to me without the mask on, but that's just my take.

I usually love Troy Baker, and on-paper he should've been a great Hawkeye, but all I can remember about his take is him whining and complaining all the time. Just comparing him to Chris Cox, whose voice basically is Clint as far as I'm concerned, and his performance just comes off really lacking in terms of capturing the character. But I could say that about any of the Assemble Avengers compared to how they were depicted in EMH bar maybe Black Panther.
    I've never seen EMH!Clint without the mask and he does indeed look quite handsome!

Chris Cox voiced him in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 too and he sounds really amazing. I think the worst voice actor for him was Andrew Francis from the Iron Man: Armoured Adventures series.
    Last edited by Ruby Quartz Diamond; 11-12-2020 at 03:15 AM.

I feel like those traits were present with EMH Clint but they didn't get in the way of his likeability as a character and effectiveness as a hero, whereas in Panther's Quest it just made him come off as dumb and obtuse.

It was nice to have a Marvel cartoon with ambition again even if there were other elements of the show I didn't really jive with (particularly it's handling of Clint).

Funnily enough, they gave him the coat for his redesign in that show .
    Yes but I feel it wasn't always present in Avengers Assemble.
    I totally get you though: I'm just saying I feel like it's not completely unfounded.

And yeah I noticed the coat thing. They also made his colour to be all out Magenta which I don't think was a great look, haha.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 11-12-2020 at 12:48 AM.

My Twitter

Welp. I guess I'm the only one here who genuinely enjoyed Avengers Assemble!Clint haha. I really love that they made him the joker of the team and obnoxious yet very competent and smart. He hides his intelligence by acting lazy and like a clown. I thought that's quite in line with his comic counterpart in the sense that he's easily underestimated by his opponents which gives him an advantage over them. And I am grateful that Clint is given so many things too, even his own focused episodes (MCU Clint barely had any screentime and focus sadly) and he played a very pivotal role in Season 5 in stopping Whitney. His involvement made sense too since Whitney would be least threatened by the 'ordinary' guy with no superpowers and he did protect her in the Halloween episode. Also, his sharp-shooting skills were key to destroying the ship. Like Matt had said, it was in line with his comic counterpart where he was at first taken by Black Widow's beauty that he performed her bidding despite their goals and ideals not being aligned but later he snapped out of it himself and joined the good guys to reform himself and make amends.
    It's not like I flatout disliked him. He had some good episodes in-between and profited from the fact that the show balanced the powerlevels out between the Avengers quite a bit compared to the comics and movies which allowed him to do some cool stuff during, for example, the Civil War (which was only slightly less bad than Comic Civil War and that's not a compliment, lol).
    But for every Halloween Episode you had three where he was the constant butt of the jokes to the point where it bordered on annoying. But that's less an issue with him personally and more with the writing of the characters in the show in general which was inconsistent to say the least.
    Again not trying to dunk on your opinion here. I just wanted to expand on mine.

Oops. Here is the proper link:
    hawkeye-marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-uhdpaper.com-8K-21.jpg

Kinda hot, right?
    Doesn't beat this.

;D

Thanks! Looks like I have a lot of material to read if I want to be a full-fledged Clint Barton fan
    I know people who consider themselves Hawkeye fans who have read half as much as you. Take it easy
    I myself have a huge Blindspot for most everything pre Disassembled. West Coast Avengers? Barely read anything. Thunderbolts? Didn't read half of it.

The art reminded me of Greg Land's tbh. It would be shocking to find out that my dear Hawkeye received the Greg Land treatment
    I'm gonna come out of the closet and out myself as someone who doesn't really mind Greg Lands art all THAT much.
    Between reusing poses, tracing not only from model poses but even other artists and drawing the same faces all the time and oversexualising characters there are plenty of reasons to dislike his stuff but at the very least it makes for a mostly good looking product in my book whichs flaws are mostly ethical.

When you compare that to most anything Deodato draws which looks like 3D models from pop up ads anno 2005 with a Photoshop filter plastered over it all for good measure I can't help but prefer Land. At least for like Cover artworks.

My Twitter

It's not like I flatout disliked him. He had some good episodes in-between and profited from the fact that the show balanced the powerlevels out between the Avengers quite a bit compared to the comics and movies which allowed him to do some cool stuff during, for example, the Civil War (which was only slightly less bad than Comic Civil War and that's not a compliment, lol).
    But for every Halloween Episode you had three where he was the constant butt of the jokes to the point where it bordered on annoying. But that's less an issue with him personally and more with the writing of the characters in the show in general which was inconsistent to say the least.
    Again not trying to dunk on your opinion here. I just wanted to expand on mine.
    I feel like he wasn't consistently depicted as being competent until season 3, but I haven't re-watched the show at all.

Not alone, I genuinely enjoyed him too! I need to do a rewatch soon now that I've finished my EMH rewatch, but I thought he had some great moments and some of the best lines. I just personally wasn't a huge fan of what I watched of Season 5, though the fact that I only watched a few episodes so I was missing some context probably didn't help, nor how I found the change in animation rather offputting. I do genuinely love him and the show though!

And as Matt said you're definitely more informed about and have read more Clint issues than many Clint fans. You don't have to read every storyline to be considered a Clint fan. Just don't read a single run then claim to know everything and hate on other versions of Clint that don't subscribe to that exact version like some people (not here) tend to do lol.

I feel like he wasn't consistently depicted as being competent until season 3, but I haven't re-watched the show at all.
    Yeah I remember him being swallowed randomly by a sea monster and needing a rescue and pep talk to get back into the mix.

My Twitter