Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    To be fair, those arcs all did the things that guranteed them not to appeal to a certain crowd. Morrison's run dealt with a lot of continuity and introdcued Damian who was very controversial at the time, Snyder's run had a lot of exposition that turned off casual readers as well as him being known for not writing good endings to his story arcs and King's read had a lot of romance that some readers didn't care for in a batmna book.

I enjoyed all 3 of those runs though for the most part, so it never bothered me but I can understand how each of these runs were polarizing as they started. From what Tynion's run has been sounding like, this shouldn't be a book that ruffles too much feathers. It keeps on track with what King built with the catwoman romance, but it also focuses on Batman himself like Snyder's run and Tynion will also make sure he keeps a hold of continuity. Since this run will only last for a year if 5G rumors preside it probably doesn't matter, but I could easily see this run being the most favored simply for not pushing the needle much.
    Given that originally, the plan was to reach 100 with a bunch of crossovers, and go monthly, and several other things, and we know that plans have changed at least twice since then, I have no idea what Tynion's run is really going to be anymore. I personally hope he gets at least 20 issues to make up for his Tec run getting cut short. And if he gets to write until 135, which will be Batman #900, that would be even cooler.

I recently heard a theory that 5G, rather than a linewide shift, is probably more like an event (similar to DC One Million) which makes a lot of sense.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I agree mostly. I personally wasn't a fan of the runs but I can see why people did like them. I just find it amusing that Tynion coming on is basically viewed as "the dark days are over!" but it will just be the same thing we've seen over the last decade plus.

I highly doubt Tynion will bring anything new to the game and will be very by-the-numbers. It always felt to me like a stop-gap until a new creative team comes in with issue #100 (if that is the plan).
    If you're expecting a departure from "grim and gritty" it's not going to happen. That doesn't mean it still can't be somewhat fun. I'd be happy with good dialogue and correct characterizatons after King's debacle.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I really enjoyed Batman/TMNT by Tynion and I'm willing to give this a chance.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I really enjoyed Batman/TMNT by Tynion and I'm willing to give this a chance.
    I agree, it sure was great.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I agree mostly. I personally wasn't a fan of the runs but I can see why people did like them. I just find it amusing that Tynion coming on is basically viewed as "the dark days are over!" but it will just be the same thing we've seen over the last decade plus.

I highly doubt Tynion will bring anything new to the game and will be very by-the-numbers. It always felt to me like a stop-gap until a new creative team comes in with issue #100 (if that is the plan).
    Idk, I don't see too many people calling Tynion the bat savior or great or drooling over him or anything. Most posts I see are like me, Tynion is decent/ok/not terrible etc. It's just after the past 3 years or so with King, I'm all for any new writer tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    If you're expecting a departure from "grim and gritty" it's not going to happen. That doesn't mean it still can't be somewhat fun. I'd be happy with good dialogue and correct characterizatons after King's debacle.
    Pretty much this. Batman has been more or less unreadable to me under King. Tynion doesn't have to be great or change the Bat verse or anything, he just has to make me start reading Batman again.

Astonishing Member

Tynion.

I like Tynion. I'll echo that he's good, serviceable, maybe not great all the time. But his fondness for the characters seems to hold up pretty well. I really like his Detective run. I thought that was one of the better Bat-Family angles we've ever gotten.

The pitch hit stuff doing backups and one-offs for Snyder were all fine. The TMNT crossovers are great. I haven't gotten around to the Shadow crossovers yet.

Probably most importantly is to look back at Batman Eternal and BatRob Eternal. Other writers pitched and there were Snyder high concepts and such but I feel like Tynion really did the legwork. So how do those hold up?

I mean they're not great. But there's reasons why that it's hard to pin squarely on anyone's shoulders. New 52 asinine continuity, for starters. The thing they have in common is probably the real desire to get missing characters who are part of the family back into the mix. Spoiler in BE, Cassandra in BARE. But I mean also C-Listers like Jason Bard and E-List obscurities like Julia Pennyworth. The overall arcs were fairly anticlimactic, ultimately. And both started with stereotypical "first we show you the climactic LAST SCENE, then we spend 22-52 issues showing you how we get there" mistake.

But full of memorable bits and neat high concepts. Full use of as many corners of Gotham City as could be crammed in. I imagine we've got that sort of thing to look forward to. Also he's a big old Tim Drake fan so it's impossible not to think we won't get Tim Drake somewhere.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Really loved this issue. It was nice seeing a Bruce that was calculated again, obscure new villains, new gadgets, Selina and Bruce talking to each other like normal people...just overall a really solid issue that builds on the previous one while getting back to what makes Batman such a great character.

Yes, this was just batman being batman, which is really great to see.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Really loved this issue. It was nice seeing a Bruce that was calculated again, obscure new villains, new gadgets, Selina and Bruce talking to each other like normal people...just overall a really solid issue that builds on the previous one while getting back to what makes Batman such a great character.
    I feel the same way.
    I also like Selina's hairstyle.
    I like her hair a little longer.........looks more feminine
    I never liked the boyish short haircut

I am a BatCat fan that is very glad that King is off Batman
    IMHO he really made BatCat look bad
    "Bat", "Cat" was most annoying
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I am a BatCat fan that is very glad that King is off Batman
    IMHO he really made BatCat look bad
    "Bat", "Cat" was most annoying
    Agreed, though I actually liked issue 78 and 79 of King's run because bruce and selina were actually talking with each other and it felt like a reward for suffering through the terrible dialogue in earlier issues. The way Tynion writes them now feels earned after the events of city of bane.

Enjoyed it A LOT. Especially enjoyed that Bruce and Selina were finally speaking in full sentences like real people lmao. I'm looking forward to what else Tynion has in store for us.

Astonishing Member

Commissioner Bullock.

I'd almost forgotten that for some reason Jim Gordon is an evil Dark Multiverse Jankerized version of himself right now.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Not gonna lie, I didn’t miss the thought boxes. This was very Bat goddy, and magic tech heavy. Also Deathstroke should not be someone Bruce can just take down in a 1 on 1 brawl, though I know it happens, but having most of the fight happen off panel was an interesting choice.

Mighty Member

"If you're expecting a departure from "grim and gritty" it's not going to happen."

If you're saying Noodle's thinking that, he isn't. If otherwise, um, okay then. Cool.

"That doesn't mean it still can't be somewhat fun."

Like King's run is fun in it's own right, but certain people tend to over look it for one silly reason or another.

Here's hoping Tynion will get less slack (unlike King did with those same individuals that havn't been fond of the latter or his writing) when or if he'll sooner or later write anything that wouldn't line up to their own preferences, expectations and standards.