Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Batman #86 preview and discussion (spoilers!)

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...-story-preview

There's quite a few pages here, though unlettered. Pretty cool looking, even if I'm still not a huge fan of Tomeu Morey's green sky look with Daniel's pencils.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Looks like pretty standard stuff, but I like the art .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Looks like pretty standard stuff, but I like the art .
    Same Tony Daniels art is wonderful.

But honestly if you told me to compare this preview work to his stuff on Batman from 2010. I wouldn't be able to tell that both were from different decades.

Kinda sad that DS is going back to his pre Rebirth suit. Priest really put some thoughts on that suit.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

A King free Batman run? I might actually check this out.

Even though this is a filler run might be good. I like Tynion in general as well and art looks good so that's even more reason.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

I've been waiting a long time to start back reading Batman so I'll give it a try. Art looks typical Daniels good. Tynion is usually at least decent, that's enough for me to give it a try.

It's gonna be kinda weird to actually buy Batman, it's been too long. (Nightwing I'm looking at you too).

It's morning again in Gotham. The long night has ended.

Here is hoping for a great new run, if only a return to basics.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Nice to see Merlyn again.

Although nobody seems to really give a rat's eff that he should be on lockdown as part of Amanda Waller's "has a bomb in his head program".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Nice to see Merlyn again.

Although nobody seems to really give a rat's eff that he should be on lockdown as part of Amanda Waller's "has a bomb in his head program".
    Is he in Taylor's run?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Tynion's always come off as pretty dull to me. Probably going to end up dropping the book with this issue.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Tynion's always come off as pretty dull to me. Probably going to end up dropping the book with this issue.
    Yeah, likewise. He's never hooked me.

I appreciate the horror angle. Maybe I will pick this up after all, going to really depend on how they deal with the fallout from King's run.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I'm excited to check this out, as weird as it sounds I'm mainly excited about Lucius and seeing what he's got cooked up. I enjoyed a decent chunk of the City of Bane part of King's run but I'm looking forward to some straightforward storytelling, King sometimes got little too overly indulgent in his writing with the poetry, nursery rhymes, extended dream sequences, reverse story structure and all that.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I can't wait for people to start saying how this run is terrible and ruining Batman. Just like they did during King's run. And Snyder's run. And Morrison's run.

The preview pages look decent so I'll give it a go. I liked Tynion on Detective, but I was also enjoying that book for the team and not necessarily Batman. Bruce wasn't used a ton so it's hard to gauge how Tynion handles him off that book. Depending on how the first few issues go is if I decide to drop the book or not.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I can't wait for people to start saying how this run is terrible and ruining Batman. Just like they did during King's run. And Snyder's run. And Morrison's run.

The preview pages look decent so I'll give it a go. I liked Tynion on Detective, but I was also enjoying that book for the team and not necessarily Batman. Bruce wasn't used a ton so it's hard to gauge how Tynion handles him off that book. Depending on how the first few issues go is if I decide to drop the book or not.
    To be fair, those arcs all did the things that guranteed them not to appeal to a certain crowd. Morrison's run dealt with a lot of continuity and introdcued Damian who was very controversial at the time, Snyder's run had a lot of exposition that turned off casual readers as well as him being known for not writing good endings to his story arcs and King's read had a lot of romance that some readers didn't care for in a batmna book.

I enjoyed all 3 of those runs though for the most part, so it never bothered me but I can understand how each of these runs were polarizing as they started. From what Tynion's run has been sounding like, this shouldn't be a book that ruffles too much feathers. It keeps on track with what King built with the catwoman romance, but it also focuses on Batman himself like Snyder's run and Tynion will also make sure he keeps a hold of continuity. Since this run will only last for a year if 5G rumors preside it probably doesn't matter, but I could easily see this run being the most favored simply for not pushing the needle much.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    To be fair, those arcs all did the things that guranteed them not to appeal to a certain crowd. Morrison's run dealt with a lot of continuity and introdcued Damian who was very controversial at the time, Snyder's run had a lot of exposition that turned off casual readers as well as him being known for not writing good endings to his story arcs and King's read had a lot of romance that some readers didn't care for in a batmna book.

I enjoyed all 3 of those runs though for the most part, so it never bothered me but I can understand how each of these runs were polarizing as they started. From what Tynion's run has been sounding like, this shouldn't be a book that ruffles too much feathers. It keeps on track with what King built with the catwoman romance, but it also focuses on Batman himself like Snyder's run and Tynion will also make sure he keeps a hold of continuity. Since this run will only last for a year if 5G rumors preside it probably doesn't matter, but I could easily see this run being the most favored simply for not pushing the needle much.
    I agree mostly. I personally wasn't a fan of the runs but I can see why people did like them. I just find it amusing that Tynion coming on is basically viewed as "the dark days are over!" but it will just be the same thing we've seen over the last decade plus.

I highly doubt Tynion will bring anything new to the game and will be very by-the-numbers. It always felt to me like a stop-gap until a new creative team comes in with issue #100 (if that is the plan).
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans